• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

AEM ECU

typerkid said:
tp said:
[If you were binning/stripping for racing maybe the AEM is a viable option, but then again I would still probably lean towards the Kpro or maybe a high end stand alone motorsport ECU that has a track record.

So you don't call a AEM a motorsport ECU then Paul...

How come these have been used in F1 cars in the past then :?:

Any idea which cars and when Mike? I'm a huge F1 fan and although it's off topic I'm interested to know 8)

Its been said many many times. The AEM ECU is more suited to Supras etc etc not Civcs or DC5 for that matter

Hondat have got this sewn up to be honest. If you wanted to go full race option then oviously MoTec Ecu will be way forward but you have still got to have the tuner who knows what to do with it.

The AEM ECU is new and so it may be imporoved, and have features added that will suit the K20 Engine but at the moment the K-Pro is the way forward with out a doubt.

There many Civics and also DC5 running K-Pro ECU in motorsport applications and also a few Rally Civics

I would not advise anyone to get the AEM ECU, leave that for the Supra boys, stick with Hondata :)

The bit that gets me is, that when Doug came over when they first, developed the Hondata Flash, Mike was one of the first people to have it from what I know, and also ferried Doug everywhere, while he wa sover from the states, and also said that Hondata was best thing since sliced bread, then various things happened with his car and he ended up with Jakan (who were not Hondata Approved or Supplier but were AEM Tuners)

And suddenly AEM is way to go and Hondata aint as good ???? Mixed messages me thinks, same with Supercharger, one of the first to get one fitted, raved about it, upped the PSI, had hondata and Jackson logos plastered over car, then next thing is Supercharger is causing engine wear ???? not very good etc etc.

Im confused but hey I know nothing about Hondas and thats Official :)

Dunno what is wrong with tht, AEM was not out when he got Hondata and started tuning his car, remember he has been doing work on his K20 longer than most of us and has tried most things, some good, some not so good.

He tried the Hondata, and in some areas found it wanting, especially in regard to his application. There is nothing wrong with changing your mind as more information comes to light. I do not profess to know everything, yet I have a little more knowledge about his tuning than perhaps some do who have commented. In his case I feel his swap was wholey justified.

Besides how do you know how something is going to work unless you try it.

Mike will be the first to admit that the ECU tuning is only as good as the person doing the tuning.

As a further point what happened at Jakan was unrelated in regards to their ability to tune.

Remember, when tuning only time tells the long term effects on the engine.

I will also ad that I will never up the boost level on my Civic, 4psi is plenty, a few 10ths of a second for the added risk, not worth it imho :shock:

AFAIK most of the losses in functionality can be got around (on the S2000 they certainly can, yes I have the AEM for it so am slightly biased) but as for the tuner you mention, all I will say is I haven't heard anything good about them :(

look on www.aempower.com for helpful hints and tips.

tp said:
simonprelude said:
The most important part of an AEM set up is the tuner, if the car is only making stock and it has mods then I would suggest gettg someone better to tune the car.

I have seen AEM tuners get 10-20 % increases out of a stock car, so with mods if done properly then there is no way that you will only get stock results.

tp said:
Shock horror its crap! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Exactly.

Remeber though on the Civic you loose some functions that are embedded into the Honda ECU.
If you were binning/stripping for racing maybe the AEM is a viable option, but then again I would still probably lean towards the Kpro or maybe a high end stand alone motorsport ECU that has a track record.

After all....a couple of the Britcars are running Kpro so it cant be that bad. :wink:

Cough cough....tuning by TDi North I might add. :twisted:

G said:
tp said:
http://civictype-r.co.uk/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=85024 :shock:

Cannot see anything Paul ?

Strange. :?

Here is the reply as to who did the mapping

It was mapped by Jakan! Dan claimed and showed me a graph with over 200bhp at the wheels. Put it on the rolling road at TDi north on saturday and only made 177BHP. Put a K-pro in and made 201BHP with little mapping. Finally made 213BHP.

I geuss the AEM is good if you have got it mapped correctly, but it would have taken alot to remap it so decided to change. Also the AEM does not run the imobiliser so stick in a screw driver and your away!

Found lots of probs with the work done by Jakan, gear box bolts not done up, various bolts and split pins missing!!

Mark and paul sorted it out though

Also this: http://civictype-r.co.uk/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=85014

I took my car to TDi North at the weekend to have Toda zorst, jackson racing manifold and sports cat fitted! Very impressed with mark and paul!!

However, I had some mods done earlier this year by Jakan Honda! When mark got the car up on the ramps he noticed there were various nuts and bolts, split pins missing and the bolts that hold the gearbox in pace were all loose! The last time these would have been removed was when Dan fitted the quaiffe LSD!

Mark sorted all the problems out which I am very grateful for! I had an AEM ECU fitted at Dans advice he gave me a dyno printout for a power figure of over 200BHP at the wheels! When it went on the rolling road at TDi it made just 177BHP! I decided to have the K-pro fitted and now the car is 213 BHP at the wheels and 138LB/ft of torque.

Anyone who had their car modified by Jakan GET IT CHECKED OUT!!!

A big thanks to Paul and Mark who put up with my whineing on saturday!

Paul,

Please clear this up for me.....

Was the dyno run on that car done before or after the addition of the new bits he had fitted ? If it was done after, no wonder their was a difference in powerÂ… IÂ’m sure if the owner had persisted with the AEM the result would have been similar if not better (some good US tuners are now finding this btw)

Also Pete, people are allowed to change their minds.... I have nothing against Hondata... but in my opinion their are risks that should be fully explained... especially if your doing serious modifying.... Other ECU's offer better protection and can have additional sensors fitted to feedback, the K-Pro doesn't offer this.

The super charger is good, but only for low boost applications.... I suggest some people do a little research and then your find out why I make that statement.

Jakan did find problems with my car when it was all stripped down, how many other people have had a full strip down ? Jakan did make mistakes with my car, hence why I've not done much this year.

I'm putting that in the past and having a total change done over the winter, hence why it's a J-Tuner project car.

Mike

typerkid said:
Paul,

Please clear this up for me.....

Was the dyno run on that car done before or after the addition of the new bits he had fitted ? If it was done after, no wonder their was a difference in powerÂ… IÂ’m sure if the owner had persisted with the AEM the result would have been similar if not better

I dont know is the honest answer.
I very much doubt that even if the mods were fitted first and then the tests done that the varience would have been that high anyway. It was only a change in exhaust system IIRC.

I know the AEM is a very powerfull piece of kit and it was something I was considering playing with myself due to the added features of traction control. I know Abbey are also playing with this at the moment and looking into an install on their Civic. Problem is the amount of people using it is limited here in the UK and Hondata seem to have stollen the march getting in very early with what is an excellent product which is easily supported and gives excellent value for money to the average user.

You should know this Paul, but the K series is very exhuast system sensative.... espically if going from OEM manifold/cat to a free flow 4-2-1 manifold then new exhaust.

I do agree for most users the K-Pro is fine, but for those well advance on the tuning curve the little extra safety other systems offer must be considered in my book.

Ok it was me with the AEM who changed to the Hondata! In my humble opinion the AEM is a good product but mine lacked the correct mapping and Hondata seems better! (For what I want) Its all down to personal preference :D

Anyone want to buy an AEM ECU £450

Back