• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

After market cams

Hi guys, anyone gone for upgraded cams in there fn2? I've been looking at a few sets looks like stage 1 cams are drop in with out upgrading springs and retainers but the power junkie in me couldn't stop looking at stage 3 cams obviously titanium springs and retainers are required, my question is has anyone run stage 2-3 cams how did the car run after? also how much labour did you pay to get them fitted.

I had stage 2 cams in my FN2. Pretty much the same spec as Toda A3s.

Car ran great, tick over like stock, that's the beauty of two cam profiles on one shaft. Pulled to 9k and would have kept going.

The lift wasn't aggressive enough to change the retainers but I had Skunk2 pro series springs and spring base kit (which you need for the FN2 with a dual coil spring). I also had a Clockwise Motion chain tensioner as the stock tensioner can take a beating with more aggressive cams.

To round it off I had the balancer shaft delete kit/FD2 oil pump conversion. The reasoning behind that is the power often comes at revving the engine out on aggressive cams, so you want to be able to safely go up to 9k. The FD2 oil pump along with the springs let you do that.

Cost wise. Jeez...

I had lots of cam changes during this period so pinning down exact costs is tricky for me.

Cams were £1,300 fitted and mapped.

Add onto that the springs and seats which I think were £450 plus fitting which at the time was a head off job. I believe they can be done with a newish tool with the head in place, so my cost wasn't comparable. I think I paid £400ish labour for fitting the springs, but the cams could go in at the same time here.

FD2 oil pump fitting is about £200-250 depending where you go and the kit is about £325 last time I checked.

Whoever bought my car after me got a bargain because it went with the valve springs and FD2 oil pump along with full polybushing and braided brake lines! It just wasn't worth taking them out when I stripped it.

The skunk stage 3 kit recommends springs and retainers, I've bought a few bits lately so planning my next spend already. would you recommend the balancer delete kit and fd2 pump to be fitted before upgrading[h=2][/h] the cams I guess it would make sense.

How is much power did you get out of yours NA?

I've got the power bug after fitting my CPL manifold + decat, Invidia system and a hks rsk car feels great, I'm struggling to find someone to fit a flashpro in South Wales though

Last edited by a moderator:
Pump can be done at the same time or before the cams really. It's an oil change as well though as you drop the sump, so it makes sense around service time.

I made 260 bhp and 180ftlb at its peak and 256/180 when I stripped it. That difference was a set of cams that I didn't keep.

Not much point fitting most "stage 3" cams on a stock bottom end as you won't have the CR to run them. (or the p2v clearance)

I'd get in contact with TDI, they've seen many cams come and go, plus their drop in's can make pretty good power 260bhp ish from what I've seen.

You need a lot of supporting mods to make 260 on them.

As it happens my old FN2 did:

tdi2.jpg

Don't bother with skunk 2 cams, they have bad reviews for causing issues with the chains.

Tdi are releasing some new cams, or you had TODA too. If you want to get them from America then you have a good choice of Drag cartel, prayoontoo, kelford etc.

The only reason people have issues with chains on Skunk2s is because they fit them without an adjustable cam gear on the exhaust side and therefore don't have them dialed in properly.

Been there and done that, had the replacement chain and tensioner after 7k to prove it. :lol:

Drag Cartel cams tend to be made with top end in mind which is good for talking figures down the pub but isn't what you want on a road car. Prayoontoo and Kelford are decent though.

Don't, don't go Toda on cams. I've seen two sets of A3s score badly after not many miles. They were sent away for independent testing and it seems Toda are producing soft cams these days.

looks like Tdi then, going to get the balancer delete kit and fd2 pump done first though as recommend by Loxy. toying with the idea of some Brembo callipers off a DC5 too mine need servicing so seems like an excuse to upgrade...

I've not even got my new FN2 yet and I've already got the FD2 oil pump/balancer shaft kit winging its way to me. Great mod for these engines.

I'm waiting for my mugen wing to show up ordered it last week for typerkits, part of me wishes I'd order the delete kit although I'm sure the wing will add 10 bhp alone :cool: lol

Any info on tdi cams strength ? Going by the fact Toda's are soft? Im toying with the idea of their cams so just doing some research right now. I dont want to reduce the life expectency of my engine by much so have chickened out the supercharger route.

Think you'd need to ask TDI-N about that. I'm guessing they're UK made so wouldn't have any doubts as to the quality of the steel used for them and pretty sure the guys would't put sub standard material on the market!

The stage 2s I had took a beating in my ownership and are still going strong in Staffs Deltics car. They are probably getting on for 3 years old now.

Back