• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Aftermarket exhaust manifold that retains catalytic converter

Hi guys,
I am hopefully getting a skunk2 megapower r exhaust for my ep3 soon and am thinking about getting a exhaust manifold.
Anyone know of a mani that gives good gains and is less restrictive yet keeps the cat? I use this car daily and want it to be legal on the road etc.
Thanks,
Daryl.

Half of the kits out don't seem to pass mots, may be better changing over cats at mot time.

Tegiwa manifold is excellent for the money.

It's been talked about loads of times tbh, there aren't many available, Mugen which is big bucks, some go for the Spoon 4-2 then swap the decat section for the OEM cat come MOT time again expensive, Piper do one and so does Japspeed.

They tend not to make as much power as the 4-2-1's so is it worth it over cost. Some have been happy with the Piper but again it's cost and performance is it worth it scenario.

I've heard from a good source that the Japspeed 4-1 and 4-2 can make less power than OEM and it's better to stick with OEM than go for the Japspeed. (The Japspeed 4-2-1 has good ratings though but as most 4-2-1's they remove your cat).

Some have used the DC5 manifold and cat, that's the route I'm going with, got one off a pal cheap haven't fitted it yet though.

Some of our neighbours abroad have welded a sports cat to the Tegiwa manifold but that will void any warranty and if you mess up you've wasted your money.

It's a difficult one that's had many scratching their heads, most just go for the 4-2-1's and have a friendly MOT tester or swap back come MOT time but the friendly MOT testers are getting difficult to come by plus the law are clamping down so wouldn't want to take the risk of having my car crushed. Swapping out can be a pita unless you know what your doing and can do it yourself etc.

Also when changing the mani you need to consider a remap, I've heard the DC5 mani will be fine without but you won't see any gains without a map, hence why I'm waiting to fit mine. If you do go down the 4-2-1 route you will need a k100/kpro plus a remap.

In hindsight I think it will be easier to have a "race manifold" and then retro fit a cat into the exhaust system itself.

Injection imports just posted this to their Facebook page.

12fbb557fc79f7e5da75ff808d799ae8.jpg

That would be the Mugen one, I'd have one but too expensive for me. I'd also have a fujitsubo catback but again my budget don't cover it :(.

Would be ideal though.

supersprint does one actually but they're very rare, I just sold my one with a custom sports cat. It also performs as well or even better than 4-2-1s with the decat section in place. The supersprint sports cat is £900 but there was enough space for me to put a custom sports cat in its place. It only cost me £78 for the universal sports cat but I would not run such a cheap cat all year round. A good quality sports can costs several hundred quid, but the hardest thing is sticking them in the manifold as it needs to be as smaller diameter as possible. It's easier to to put them in the cat back itself. For you id recommend putting a sports cat in the cat back, if you don't want cutting into it. 200 cell will pass once there's heat into it.
Also piper has a sports cat but its quite poor performing and the cat itself can perish resulting in failed MOT. Also if you want to keep the OEM mani and cat, EP3's can still make up to 230bhp with other mods, tegiwa M, rbc, cat back etc.

If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for the Mugen one via Injection Imports, P'M me if you prefer. Just curious.

I had the same issue, I wanted something that will pass mot's and I wouldn't have to faff around with. So I went for a piper manifold, and a piper sports cat. Had it fitted by abpmotorsport in Crewe. They also fit a 02 sensor kit to the manifold which tells the Ecu that the flow levels are correct etc for mot's. I have this fitted with my spoon b pipe and back box.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back