• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Air box broken?!?

I've only owned my DC5 for 4 weeks and whilst giving my engine bay a clean i noticed something wrong with my air box.
On the top of the box there is a pipe that is connected to the rocker cover.
The rocker cover end is ok but the end going to the air box has snapped off and is just resting on the side?!?!... :eek:
Does anyone know the importance of this?
A new top half of the box is over £60, dunno whether to get it fixed fast incase its there for a good reason, or wait and put the money towards the gruppe m i was gonna buy.
Any ideas? :confused:
Cheers

No wonder i cant find it! my old man came round n borrowed my digi camera so cant get any pics.
any idea without pics?

It's the breather pipe that feeds oil vapour back into the engine via the airbox. AFAIK it won't do any harm to the engine to have it venting into the atmosphere but it's a bit anti-social. Not sure about the legality of it but I wouldn't run it for any length of time like that tbh. You have a few options:

1. If the part of the airbox that's snapped off is still there (stuck in the end of the pipe) then try gluing it back on

2. Get an oil catch can and fit that instead

3. Get a filter and fit that instead

4. See if you can find a secondhand airbox FS or from a breaker, should be much less than £60 I'd have thought

5. Replace the airbox with an induction kit as you suggest

HTH?

Good link - wasn't sure where you could actually get those filters but I remember them from the 'old days' running carbs etc :lol:

Cheers for that guys.
Take it if i use a filter, the hole in the air box will need sealing?...

I would say yes - seal the hole.. I'm thinking two layers of black tape securely fastened over it. Does not need to be neat - just secure as no one can see it anyway.

The reason why I think you should is that the air sucked in will be hotter from the engine bay thus affecting performance, the pressure and flow of air in the box will be affected and the sound that hole may make may not be nice.. :D

Back