• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Air conditioner condenser rad

I've just found out that the air con in my EP3 has packed up. Just blows hot air... never had it serviced but have had a mesh on the grill from day one. Could it just be low on gas or something more serious? Also how can I tell its low on gas and can I top it up myself?
might just need a regas ? over time they need to be topped up

I've just found out that the air con in my EP3 has packed up. Just blows hot air... never had it serviced but have had a mesh on the grill from day one. Could it just be low on gas or something more serious? Also how can I tell its low on gas and can I top it up myself?

I would get someone to regas it and check for leaks. It would cost a bit more but it would be worth it as if you do have a leak the regas would only last a few days.

I paid £59 for my air con service and leak check from Chemix but that was because it's round the corner from work. I'm sure you could get it cheaper if you shop around.

£60+ in the scheme of things isn't an aweful lot to pay considering how long it lasts and the fact they check the system for you. I think some if not all actually flush it too.

does anyone know how much gas goes into the system? also do i really need to get a receiver drier?

My mechanic mates informed me I do, as I'm not a whizz with AC I will believe them. It's something to do with how long the system has been exposed to ambient moisture etc etc. As it's something like £30-£40 it's not much more to pay for piece of mind.

As I said I can't be 100% sure but I fairly certain both pipes were around 10mm each.

I'm sure someone will be able to say for sure.

I know that this a massive thread resurrection, apologies, but as summer approaches I thought this may be able to help others doing this job.

My low pressure pipe seal, and the tapered leading section, stayed in my old condenser. As I replaced the receiver drier too, I was able to compare both ends of the pipe. They should be identical, not like this (in this picture the right end is the one that comes out of the condenser):

Currently this pipe is nearly £60 from Honda. There is a chance that it could seal but given the cost of a re-gas, is it worth the gamble?

My logic also says that any secondhand pipe also has a chance of already being weakened, even if it has not snapped.

My condenser looked like the Doc's, you may just be able to make out the original o-ring in the lower port:

Honda Main Stealer just now quoted me £663 to supply and fit a new A/C condenser. Even though they re-gassed it about 2 weeks ago and never said it needed a new condenser then. 2 days later the A/C didn't work again, so it was obviously leaking when they filled it, they charged me £55 to re-gas and test it they obviously didn't do much testing, so I'm sure they are going to charge me again to re-gas it.
Anyway I'm not going back to them as I consider that a rip off..!!!

Back