• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

All please reply, both standard and modified

Small update

Check you throttle cable tension.

Ours was very slack and this is my theory behind the hesitation.

The car still coughs (probably due to mods) most EP3's do this. What makes it noticeable is the throttle tension. When slack and at light throttle this "cough" causes a slight rock in the engine which is a enough to shut the butterfly in the throttle body which momentarily cuts fuel and makes it hesitate.

Now when the throttle cable is tensioned this cough does not allow the throttle to shut and cause the stutter. Thus making it very hard to now notice. It's a massive improvement 90% I would say and does not bother me at all now. Once fully up to temp car is beautiful and actually feels slightly faster wot so maybe we where never at 100% throttle position with the slack cable.

Not sure why Honda make them set so slack? Apparently it's common... One theory is to prevent wot when running in....

Anyway my advice if you have this problem adjust your throttle cable before spending any money!!!

Excellent update ^^^

I've got the same problem and always thought it might be the throttle cable. Gonna give it a go this wekend..... weather permitting and let you all know how I get on.

Even if its raining get out there take 5mins literally!

10mm socket to take inlet manifold cover off
12mm spanner to undo lock nut

Simples!

Let me know what you think after. Out of interest is your standard or do you have mods also?

Apologies for the late reply. I have been very lazy but I also wanted to drive the car a few days before I report back. My car is standard. No mods whatsoever. Very quick and simple job and the cable was very slack to say the least. Definately improved for me. I can still feel a slight hesitation from time to time mostly when it's cold but once up to temp it definately is a lot smoother. I would definaly advise anyone to do this first before any other major costly work.

My EP3 has been stuttering and jumpy for the 8 months i have owned it. I decided it wouldnt hurt to check my throttle cable for play and my god it was slack! It even had a slight dip in the cable because it was so loose.
I tightend it up taking only 2mins of my time and all sorted. Make sure you dont over tighten it. It should be just enough so that the actuator doesnt lift. I cant believe the change. Well chuffed thanks for the post!
I can only hope more people read this.

Apologies for the late reply. I have been very lazy but I also wanted to drive the car a few days before I report back. My car is standard. No mods whatsoever. Very quick and simple job and the cable was very slack to say the least. Definately improved for me. I can still feel a slight hesitation from time to time mostly when it's cold but once up to temp it definately is a lot smoother. I would definaly advise anyone to do this first before any other major costly work.

My EP3 has been stuttering and jumpy for the 8 months i have owned it. I decided it wouldnt hurt to check my throttle cable for play and my god it was slack! It even had a slight dip in the cable because it was so loose.
I tightend it up taking only 2mins of my time and all sorted. Make sure you dont over tighten it. It should be just enough so that the actuator doesnt lift. I cant believe the change. Well chuffed thanks for the post!
I can only hope more people read this.

Thanks for the posts guys. Ours has been so much better! It still coughs particularly when warming up but it's a great improvement on where it was.

I read on another forum this "hesitation" is due to a retardation compensation in particular gears. It's suppose to make it smoother???? I think Honda made a bit of a hash out of it!

Even if its raining get out there take 5mins literally!

10mm socket to take inlet manifold cover off
12mm spanner to undo lock nut

Simples!

Let me know what you think after. Out of interest is your standard or do you have mods also?

Hey, if you could put a guide up for this, that would be superb.

Hey, if you could put a guide up for this, that would be superb.

I think he just did.

It's real simple man, go take a look in the morning.

Adjusting your throttle cable always feels like you've just added 10HP.

Had a look and sorted. Took me a couple of minutes to work out how to adjust the cable but very simple in the end. Only tightened it a tiny bit but seems so much better. Throttle is a lot smoother and the slip dip in revs/hesitation when going into 2nd has now gone. Top suggestions :)

Awesome! I've just been noticing the same problem! I took my induction kit off today, (yesterday looking at the time), thinking it could be an air leak caused by this as it didn't do it before and to be honest the car does feel better but it didn't eliminate the issue.

Guess what I'll be doing tomorrow, (later today)???

Thanks

Ok, so an update from me on this...

Tightened the throttle cable and the problem did not go. I tightened the cable too much and noticed the car was idling at approx 1200 RPM as oppose to the normal 900 RPM ish.

Slackened it off again but left it tighter than before I started tinkering and the problem still exists.....

Any other suggestions?

A friend of mine suggested the fuel filter may need replacing??

Back