• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Alloy wheel acid dipping

Has anyone had any experience of Acid Dipping?

Im having trouble Sand Blasting wheels. Im getting through them, but the time its taking is too long, and isn't cost effective.

So Im looking into different methods of Paint Removal, and what seems to be the most used method by Wheel painters is Acid Dipping.

I have found this on the internet, http://www.biostrip.co.uk/paint-removal-products/biostrip-42-immersion-stripper-200-litre.html , and this would probably be the best solution for me as its not as toxic or as hazardous as some other products Ive looked at.

Anybody used this, or have any other suggestions for paint removal?

Thanks

I haven't had wheels done, but i have had a few bike frames and bars etc. done. A guy in Barnstaple called Colour Complete does loads of the local work and it always comes out top notch.

We use a glass bead grit that is really soft and a aluminium oxide grit that is a lot rougher and the difference is very noticable.

To be honest I know nothing about blasting, although I know grit size, and 60-80 sounds rough enough to me, Griff will be able to advise better :D

The grit Im using is excellent,the finish Im getting is spot on. Its just the length of time its taking. Ive got some 18 inch Seat wheels but they have been painted about 3 times so its taking around 6 hours a wheel. Plus Ive got other work in that I cant do because the wheels are taking up my time. With the acid dip I can leave them to soak and do other bits and then give them a quick blast

Might have to employ someone mate :lol: Could you not subcon the acid dipping for now?

PM inbound btw :D

That's a long time mate, I can blast a wheel in about 20 minutes :confused:

Our blast cabinets are only outputting 30-40psi too.

What diameter nozzles are you using? Ours are 8mm and direct the blast in a 15mm wide spread at 15-20 cm away.

2mm nozzles, that are wearing out in 20 minutes. Getting some toughened steel 4mm one made up, just waiting to pick them up.

If I go any wider that 5mm its useless, it just spreads everywhere and doesnt do anything.

Its a real head scratcher. Im wondering if my Compressor isn't upto the job, although it should be.

Aye, ours are ceramic or similar to tungsten carbide. Never changed them in over 6 years.

The way I set ours is lots of air, very little grit. You can't see the grit leaving the nozzle.

Too much grit and it has an adverse affect.

Yeah I do the same, You can see a very fine line, like smoke coming from the end of the nozzle.

Like I said its stumped me, Ive tried various combinations of air/grit flow, different PSi's. Its just taking an age.

Im looking at buying a Stainless Steel bath, and using a Chemical dip to loosen the paint to make the blasting a lot easier.

This should free up some time to do other work whilst they are soaking.

Is it just these wheels that are causing a problem or is it everything you blast?

Just wheels. Ive done BMX Frames and it takes 10 minutes. All the other stuff is quick.

There is something about Wheels that the blaster doesnt like.

Back