• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Am I being realistic?

I'm looking at buying an fn2 type R, now i know you don't buy a type R for mpg but I also don't want it to cost me an arm and a leg to run. I've currently got an astra sri 150cdti and its by far the worste car I've ever owned, cost me an absolute fortune in repairs and i cant wait to get rid of it. Actually hate diesels now and can't wait to get back in a petrol car.
I travel 70 miles a day for work and do 4 on 4 off. I do about 300 miles a week including sociable miles. Am i asking too much to get 300 miles out of a tank? And am i right in saying its £60 to fill?

Btw its all dual carriageways and motorway to work, so I can just throw cruise control on.

You'll do it but you'll be bored.

I don't want to rag it back and forth work. I live in wales so have endless amounts of roads to get my fun factor out of it, which i will do on my days off.

What sort of mileage do people get from a full tank in theirs?

I got around 270 in mine until the fuel light came on which means there is 7l left.

It's a 50l tank, so that was 43 litres which works out about £60 at today's prices for super unleaded.

I get 290-320miles out of a £60 tank in my EP3, depending on the cd I am listening to. I assume and FN/FD2 would be very similar.

Having said that, I prefer to measure miles per decibel, and I get a lot of anti-social erotica per tank...

I get about 250mpt out mine mostly town driving and some vtec (not much though)

So if its mainly motorway miles then 300miles wouldn't be far off.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm getting 30.7 mpg over last 2k miles mostly fast motorway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try and find one LPG converted. I've had 3 LPG cars and they have all been great

64p a litre and better performance :)

I managed 330 to a tank in my FN2 on my old commute, but that was all motorway miles, 55 miles each way at 75mph.

You should easily get that if you put on cruise control at 65. I been doing that for the last three weeks on dual carriage way to work. 60 mile round trip. My last tank i got 332 miles out of it, and the light only just came on before i filled up. So it's more than possible.

It's tires that seem to be costing me. Im on my 2nd set in3 years. Which i think seems a bit excessive for someone that doesn’t go mad in it that often.

I budgeted, and still do, for a full set of tyres every 12 months.

I budgeted, and still do, for a full set of tyres every 12 months.

Most places do 12 monthly instalments too, obviously at an increase interest rate. But still a decent set would be about £40 a month.

Thanks for the reply's guys. I'll be happy with 300 miles from it, i'm hopefully going to be lift sharing soon too so my mileage will half which is even better. I've gone through few sets of tyres in my astra but i think thats down to the torque and i was doing alot more miles than i am now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I managed 330 to a tank in my FN2 on my old commute, but that was all motorway miles, 55 miles each way at 75mph.
Yes that's about what my FN2 would work out at assuming fill up when light comes on with 7 litres left as Loxy suggests. In practice I don't run it that low as my regular mainly motorway trip is 95 miles each way and don't want to pay motorway prices en route.

Back