• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Amp advice neede....not sure what i need

Just been upgrading my stereo system over the last couple of weeks, so far i've fitted an Alpine CDE-W203RI Double DIN head unit & a set Of Apline SPG 17CS Component speakers & tweeters In the front With the supplied crossovers, Ivo also backed the doors with Dynamat.

This is now a massive amount clearer & am chuffed with the results so far, but it's not that much louder & need a nice Bass Sound, so now im thinking of fitting an AMP & maybe a small sub in the boot.

I havent a clue what sort of AMP i need though! So need some help on this to tell me size, power, brand ect etc...

Was going to try to stick to ALPINE if possible & keep the whole set up ther same..

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

or you could buy a set of 6.5" mids or components for the rear and hook both fronts and rears up to a 4 channel amp

I wouldn't advise putting components in the rear. You could get the package stu has posted for some extra bass or you could get a 4 channel amp and bridge the rear channels together to power a subwoofer.

Amps can be from 100w-2000w, depends how powerfull you want it. I personally think that a 600w sub and amp is good all round power. Just find yourself a 12" sub with slight less power capacity than your amp.

Im happy with the components & tweeters in the boot, just need something to deal with more bass so it stops distorting when cranked up....so a 4 channel amp will run the two components in the fronts & a sub, im presuming i run the feed cables from the amp into the "input" of the crossover & then the component speaker terminals connect up to the amp?

Amps can be from 100w-2000w, depends how powerfull you want it. I personally think that a 600w sub and amp is good all round power. Just find yourself a 12" sub with slight less power capacity than your amp.

i was always under the impression that an amp should be pumping out half of the power the sub kicks out so you dont blow the sub up.

all subs vary with the kind of bass they pump out and should be chosen depending on the type of music you will be mostly listening to.

a 10" sub will give you a more clearer punchier bass than a 12" imo.

i would personaly connect the fronts you have to the head unit along with a set of these in the rear http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product_list.php?filter_manufacturer_id=3. the head unit will be able to give you a good top end sound with the bass down low then add the sub package to it and you will be on to a winner mate.

any chance of some pics of the alpine double din unit you have as i like the look of it.

i was always under the impression that an amp should be pumping out half of the power the sub kicks out so you dont blow the sub up.

Without getting too technical, distortion destroys speakers not power. You can happily give a 500 watt RMS sub 500 watts of power. I give my components 85watts but they are rated at 50. The key is giving speakers a clean undistorted signal.

I recommend you do some reading up before you spend any serious money on car audio to get the best results from your cash. Talk Audio has a very good forum with a great FAQ section, its a good place to start.

Im happy with the components & tweeters in the boot, just need something to deal with more bass so it stops distorting when cranked up....so a 4 channel amp will run the two components in the fronts & a sub, im presuming i run the feed cables from the amp into the "input" of the crossover & then the component speaker terminals connect up to the amp?

The speakers and tweeters would remain connected to the crossovers, it would just be the input that you would change, instead of having a signal feed from the headunit (as you do now from the front speaker outputs of the headunit) you would disconnect them, run a RCA cable from your front/ mid RCA output on the headunit to the amp in the boot, then run speaker cable from the amp to the inputs on the crossovers...

Last edited by a moderator:
Right ok cheers for the input lads, any one got any recommendations as to which amp to go for? Looking on fleabay at the min, shed loads on there for little money...not sure what to go for, loads of alpine v12 f303's on there but they dont list the wattage....

If you want to keep in touch with the Alpine brand due to your headunit then there are three options, as Alpine do the 'E' type, the 'S' type, and the 'R' type series subs, going up in power and price, and amps to power them are reasonably priced too. Although I would steer clear eBay if possible as you can't inspect the stuff you're buying, you're best bet is somewhere like www.caraudiosecurity.com for sub and amp packages :)

Or failing that, I've got some Vibe audio equipment for sale ;) custom 28mm MDF enclosure, 12" Space sub, Monoblock 4 amp, 1.5 farad power cap, and all the cables (Autoleads flagship Q-Dos range), check www.vibeaudio.co.uk for pics etc or PM me your email address..

Back