• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Amplifier from tablet to standard speakers

Hi all

I am currently working on replacing my standard headunit with a tablet installed in the dash. My intention is to keep the standard speakers, run a cable from the headphone jack to an amp and then out to the speakers.

Can anyone tell me if this 4 channel amp would work with the standard speakers without blowing them up or anything?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Auna-Compact-4-channel-In-Car-Amplifier/dp/B002R5WRYS

I am happy enough with the volume and sound quality of the standard headunit and speakers but would not want the quality or volume to reduce as a result. Does anyone know or have an idea of how this setup would compare to the standard?

Thanks very much in advance for any help

This sounds like quite an involved project. The question has to be asked why you would be happy to put up with the very mediocre standard speakers if you are putting all of that time and effort into this conversion?

I would update the speakers with something with a much higher quality. It doesn't necessarily have to be an overly expensive upgrade either.

Thanks for the reply Jermal

I can see where you are coming from, the main reason for attempting the project is to be able to have a tablet with many features (mp3 player, radio, tv, sat nav, engine management info, etc) that can be easily removed from the dash. The sound quality isn't a major concern for me (as long as it doesn't reduce) but if it could be massively improved then I would definitely look at getting a new set of speakers.

Do you know if that amp would work with the standard speakers on an EP3? I could then assess the sound quality and then upgrade at a later date if I wasn't happy with them.

Or does anyone know of a mini amp and speaker combo that would work well with this setup in an EP3?

Thanks again

That amp should be powerful enough to power the OEM speakers. How do you intend to replace the head unit interface on your tablet?

If anything, running an amp to the OE speakers would highlight their deficiency. They aren't designed to be run from an external amp.

For what it costs to get a cheap set of components, your best of doing that and running them off the amp.

I am waiting for the tablet to arrive at the moment, it should come this week. It's android and it looks like there are few apps available that will set the tablet up to be easy to use in a car e.g. Large icons and only basic options for when the car is moving. but i am going to have a mess about with it when it arrives.

Cheers

Thanks Ed

I'm starting to think new speakers are the way to go. Any recommendations for a cheap set that would give a good improvement but not require mods to fit?

You'll need to get some MDF spacers for most aftermarket speakers due to the difference in depth. Wouldn't really call it a mod though.

Cappy over on the ITR Owners forum has an Android based tablet in his car, might be worth checking out his build thread. I saw it in the flesh not long back and the job he has done is fantastic. He used a Sub controller to adjust the volume as doing it on the tablet while moving was proving to be difficult. He also has separate power sources for the amp and sub so he can kill them at the flick of a switch when he gets a call.

Thanks NYA

That sounds really interesting. Is it on the www.itr-dc5.com/forum/ site? I couldn't find anyone with that username. I don’t suppose you have a link do you?

It sounds exactly what I am trying to achieve.

Cheers

Someone did it to an EP3 on here a while back with an iPad. Can't remember who though. the search bar may throw something up?

Back