• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Any benefits going from 205/45/17 to 215/45/17

As the title says? Been looking at prices between 205/45 and 215/45 its sometimes cheaper to buy the 215?

Is there really any difference in performance/wear/comfort etc by changing the width?

Thanks in advance :)

You will have a slightly wider footprint, increasing grip

But you will also have a slightly taller sidewall, increasing comfort, but also increasing sidewall flex.

the speedo wont be any different anyway because ur not changing the size of the tyre,ie its still a 17,if u change the profile,ie,from a 45 to a 40 the speedo might be slightly out,whatever the width of a tyre doesnt change the speedo reading.

the speedo wont be any different anyway because ur not changing the size of the tyre,ie its still a 17,if u change the profile,ie,from a 45 to a 40 the speedo might be slightly out,whatever the width of a tyre doesnt change the speedo reading.

The width of the tyre does affect the speedo rating.

The profile is a percentage of the width, so if you have a 205/45/17 tyre it will have a smaller rolling radius than a 215/45/17 tyre.

This means the 215/45/17 will under-read on the speedo as it would be calibrated to the OEM size of 205/45/17.

I would say that 215/40 would be a good move.
I run that and it has been totally fine. Tyre prices are a little cheaper in that size too in some cases.

Grip seemed much improved to me but my previous tyres were oem fit re040 which I thought were frankly terrible.

Not for me JDMdude.

215 also look better for me, always liked a phatter tyre as opposed to a stretched band.

Even then the 205 doesn't give that much of a stretched look lol, it's like a **** poor attempt at it.

Back