• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Anyone else adopt the "20 Min Rule" ?

SpaceMonkey

Midget Wannabe
Got a rule I made myself when I use the car.

I refuse to rev it above 3,000rpm for the first 20 mins of driving.
I know the temp gauge will show fine after 5-10 mins, but due to a friend of mine having an oil temp gauge on his old car, the oil didn't warm up properly for another further 10 mins.

I know it seems a bit much, but done this with my old car & never had any problems with it. Also since picking up the CTR this is a MUST for me, as I know the ickle beastie loves oil being spot on.

Anyone else have anything like this they drive by?

Or am I a nut job? :lol:

I've never gone over the 3000 mark in any of my cars when its not fully warmed up, but i just wait for the needle to be on the 90c mark...

When the missus drives the car cold she does go over and i'm like arghhhh, trying to explain why not to rev it so much on cold.....in one ear out the other though... :?

Usually takes about 5-6mins to get to 90°C then I give it a few more mins for the oil temperature to catch up, so all in all about 10mins.

R20190 said:
Usually takes about 5-6mins to get to 90°C then I give it a few more mins for the oil temperature to catch up, so all in all about 10mins.

I'm prob closer the 10min mark too - although I very rarely need to go at full tilt that soon after starting off anyway, so in practice it can be 30mins sometime before I let fly :lol:

Welsh-Rich said:
R20190 said:

I'm prob closer the 10min mark too - although I very rarely need to go at full tilt that soon after starting off anyway, so in practice it can be 30mins sometime before I let fly :lol:

Same here. 8)

Below 3,000 revs in any car until it's been driving for at least 15 mins, but never give it a real thrash until 20 mins +. 8)

3k ish for the first 5 mins, 4k for the next few mins, then start building up to help bring the oil temp up. 20mins at 3k could easily see you with cooler oil than is ideal, a few squirts up to 5 or 6k can help before you really nail it IMO

CTR_Paul said:
3k ish for the first 5 mins, 4k for the next few mins, then start building up to help bring the oil temp up. 20mins at 3k could easily see you with cooler oil than is ideal, a few squirts up to 5 or 6k can help before you really nail it IMO

Do you honestly think the oil wouldn't be up to temp for some VTEC action even after 20mins? :shock:

I rekon i give it about 10ish minutes before I unleash noise to the community.

20 minutes is a bit silly.

- Kevin.

5-10 minutes....

Not so important on mine i guess as its not a vtec (I didnt mean that in the whole sense...just the sense that Vtec's dont work without warm oil etc)

Normally leave it to get to end of main road and onto sherborne road (About 5-10 minutes) as the gauge is perking up. 5 mins later im at college :roll:

The gauge on the car is not oil but water! I have extra oil temp gauge wait until its up to 60 degC. This is about 20 minutes on my car, I keep it under 4,000 until this point!

It's a really good idea to make sure the engine is warm before reving your car hard. This will make a huge difference in engine life.

CPL Racing said:
It's a really good idea to make sure the engine is warm before reving your car hard. This will make a huge difference in engine life.

You think 20mins @ 3,000rpm or below should do the trick then? :?:

Back