• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Anyone else adopt the "20 Min Rule" ?

SpaceMonkey said:
CTR_Paul said:
3k ish for the first 5 mins, 4k for the next few mins, then start building up to help bring the oil temp up. 20mins at 3k could easily see you with cooler oil than is ideal, a few squirts up to 5 or 6k can help before you really nail it IMO

Do you honestly think the oil wouldn't be up to temp for some VTEC action even after 20mins? :shock:

Well your not heating the oil up that much. At sub 3k your not gonna warm it up very quickly at all. It only takes about 30 seconds for the oil pump to cycle the oil around your engine when you start it up. You then want to start to warm it up, 3k might be fine initially but you want to get more temp into it than that ideally.

I don't think it's the rev's that will cause the wear, more the load on the engine. Making it work really hard pulling 2000rpm @ WOT to 3000rpm will almost certainly be more detremental that using 20% throttle at 4000rpm, then changing up.

SpaceMonkey said:
CPL Racing said:
It's a really good idea to make sure the engine is warm before reving your car hard. This will make a huge difference in engine life.

You think 20mins @ 3,000rpm or below should do the trick then? :?:

Yes I think 20 mins is more than enough.

I don't set off until the car's been running for at least 5 mins. Then it's 5 mins of driving before kicking the vtec in.

Tim.

Perhaps I should remember this at 7.20 in the morning and its fecking freezing! :oops:

Will start this from now on me thinks.

:cry:

Makes you realise that an Oil Temp Gauge is a really useful piece of kit on a performance car.
Hope the next CTR has a more impressive array of instrumentation.

I know this is a really old thread but I try to wait about 15 mins going no higher than 3K in first 5 mins and ~4K for the next 10 mins. Even then its rear for me to give it some beans.

is this enough time to warm up the engine properly?

oh, its the K20 (would not think it makes a difference).

My Oil Temp gauge doesn't move for the first 10 minutes of driving, and then its a good 5 minutes before it reaches 90 degrees.

Water temp starts moving after 5 or so minutes and is at 90 degrees after 10 minutes.

Hope this helps.

As above, when the water temp is at normal operating temp (c.90degC) then usually another 10 minutes or so after that should suffice.

Also, to those that start the car and leave it 5mins before driving it, you're doing more harm than good.

Get in, start it up, drive.

Oil will heat quicker.....

mines charged and it wont let you open it up till its fully warmed up just cuts the boost. before though always waited a good 10-15 min.

I start mine and have to pull straight onto a busy 60mph road every morning. Up to 5k'ish rpm in every gear until I get to speed. Been doing that for 3-4 years with no problems.

If the road is clear in the morning I'm from a set of lights straight onto the slip road for the M61 within 2-3 minutes.

If I set off later and get caught in traffic it is 10 minutes of stop start. Can't win either way.

most of my journeys are 3-10 minutes long so the car is a wreck with cold oil all the time.

Just keep an eye on the oil temp gauge. When it's nice and warm, I floor it. Using the water temp gauge is completely inaccurate.

Dont attach the Oil Temp Gauge directly to the Engine with a T connection, or else you will end up on the back of a recovery truck like I did.

Back