• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 Anyone gone from Fiesta ST or Focus RS to FK8?

N54

Hi
If you’ve gone from a Fiesta ST or Focus RS to the FK8 I’d be interested to know how they compare?

Thanks

Someone has defo come from a focus on here but they've had a bit of a mare with issues so may not be a representative comparison!

I went from a Fiesta ST to an FK8. They are both great, but I don't think you get much from comparing the two as they are totally different propositions (Fiesta ST is about £15k cheaper for starters!). The Civic feels massive in comparison but probably as fun to drive and quite a bit easier to get up to licence-losing speeds, though the Fiesta isn't slow and I had the Mountune stage I upgrade which is worth getting. The Civic has loads more gadgets but no heated seats or windscreen. And if you think the infotainment in the Civic is bad, the Fiesta's is something else...

Bottom line, I prefer the Civic but occasionally miss the ST (mainly when parking on street in London or hearing the brakes squeal when pulling up to pedestrian crossing!).

Focus RS is a more relevant comparison of course, but if you're considering all three I think the Fiesta ST is worth checking out as it's a great car and way cheaper. Spend £750 on the Mountune remap and shortshifter. There's a new Fiesta ST very soon but it looks like a people carrier.

Last edited by a moderator:
In real world driving these so called 'pocket rockets' are more than capable of keeping bigger stuff honest. Their 0-60s are near as dam it the same and weigh a good bit less.... I say this as a pug 208 GTi wasn't going anywhere from my rear bumper the other day on a spirited drive.....

A fiesta ST caught me by surprise when I was driving the DC5. Had the legs on him though, still a quick car.

They seem to go quite well on the track too when the driver knows what they're doing. :)

Yeah, one was running rings around most cars at Brands in the snow. Although he probably had more sensible tyres on than RS-R or AD08R's!

I went from a Fiesta ST to an FK8. They are both great, but I don't think you get much from comparing the two as they are totally different propositions (Fiesta ST is about £15k cheaper for starters!). The Civic feels massive in comparison but probably as fun to drive and quite a bit easier to get up to licence-losing speeds, though the Fiesta isn't slow and I had the Mountune stage I upgrade which is worth getting. The Civic has loads more gadgets but no heated seats or windscreen. And if you think the infotainment in the Civic is bad, the Fiesta's is something else...

Bottom line, I prefer the Civic but occasionally miss the ST (mainly when parking on street in London or hearing the brakes squeal when pulling up to pedestrian crossing!).

Focus RS is a more relevant comparison of course, but if you're considering all three I think the Fiesta ST is worth checking out as it's a great car and way cheaper. Spend £750 on the Mountune remap and shortshifter. There's a new Fiesta ST very soon but it looks like a people carrier.

Thanks I’ve got a Fiesta ST by need a larger car
Love the Fiestas steering feel,and go kart handling
Wondered how the FK8 compares

I see - well I don't regret making the move from the ST to the FK8. It can't have the same character as the ST because of its size but is just as fun in my view, if not more.

I was thinking about an RS too but everything I read was in favour of the FK8 as long as you can live with the looks (I like it and it grows on you).

Another plus, you don't have to deal with Ford after-sales customer service with the FK8.

You'll get a biased view here of course...

Last edited by a moderator:
I see - well I don't regret making the move from the ST to the FK8. It can't have the same character as the ST because of its size but is just as fun in my view, if not more.

I was thinking about an RS too but everything I read was in favour of the FK8 as long as you can live with the looks (I like it and it grows on you).

Another plus, you don't have to deal with Ford after-sales customer service with the FK8.

You'll get a biased view here of course...

Don’t really want an RS

The Fiesta has an annoying pogo stick ride and think the RS would be more of the same

ST are fault prone,
loxy had issues and a chap over on civinfo left the type R to the ST and had nothing but problems, he's now back In a Honda

ST are fault prone,
loxy had issues and a chap over on civinfo left the type R to the ST and had nothing but problems, he's now back In a Honda

You can apply this to just about any car anecdotally - looking at a few posts on here you could easily conclude the FK8 has its issues. My ST was fine and had quiet brakes to boot.

You can apply this to just about any car anecdotally - looking at a few posts on here you could easily conclude the FK8 has its issues. My ST was fine and had quiet brakes to boot.

I would agree, no car is without its problems.

Mine was a Croakus ST, which needed a new steering rack after it failed whilst driving, various electrical and finish gremlins plus dealer issues. Wasn't a bad car, but I got fed up of taking it back to the dealers and suffering Ford's aftercare.

Incidentally, I'm now driving a derv Croakus Titanium X that has largely managed to avoid catching fire so far, though I suspect it is only a matter of time.

Most recently FK2->F30 330d->Croakus. Desperately miss the Beemer, best car I have owned by a country mile, but needs must. I bought extended warranty on the Croakus...

If you’ve gone from a Fiesta ST or Focus RS to the FK8 I’d be interested to know how they compare?
Surely makes more sense to move from a Focus ST to an FK8? There will not be many people move from a Focus RS to an FK8, but that's not to say it has not happened.
I think the Focus RS is slightly out of place there.
I went from a 2015 Focus ST3 to an FK8. :)
The former is a brilliant all rounder and more refined than the FK8, but ultimately slower. It just depends on what you want from your car.

ST are fault prone,
2 examples from tens of thousands of cars surely does not make a model fault prone? :lol:
I had 2 that were perfect so that evens out the 2 bad ones. :D

Steering rack was a known fault on the STs. They over-tightended the push rods onto the racks until they realised they were breaking in around 2014.

Ford sell a load of cars, so they are bound to have some issues and complaints by percentage chance alone, but you can't argue that they consistently store poorly on reliability surveys.

That said, I'm on my fifth (I think it is) Ford now.

Just arrived here....

Two weeks ago, I swapped in my beloved 2016 Fiesta ST MP215 (the third I'd owned), for a ex-demo CTR at £4.5k off list.

My back story: After two brilliant Fiesta ST experiences, I had a false dawn with an AWD Focus RS.. within days of taking delivery I regretted it... probably the most disappointing car I'd ever owned... slow (relatively), heavy (feeling), rubbish driving position, appalling thirst (regardless of how driven), crap audio + nav and worst of all, and for me, the complete deal breaker, was a tendency to swerve alarmingly when accelerating ("nothing wrong with it sir, they all do that").... owned it for a total of six weeks, sold it (at list) and promptly got back into a FST again!

Okay, only three weeks into the Type R experience, but trust me, it's the much better car than the RS, more like the ST's big brother than the RS ever was.... the thing that's amazed me most is the sophistication of the chassis and drive-train to be calm and relaxed one minute and totally balls-out the next.

There's a feeling of delicacy and efficiency to the CTR, very similar to the FST, which I didn't get with the RS, which is very much a blunt instrument in comparison.

I'll admit I'm struggling with the Honda's supercar width (already skimmed the nearside front on a low kerb avoiding a truck in the middle of the road - the little Fiesta would have had room to spare, plus tyres with a higher sidewall). And lets not even mention the audio and nav - but even that's okay, once Apple CarPlay is running...

Only issue since collecting the car from Yeoman Honda (Guildford) is the steering wheel isn't set quite true (noted before I kerbed it!)... but car tracks straight and true and drives beautifully, so I don't think its indicative of a more serious issue (my car is an ex-demonstrator remember), but I'm getting Holden Honda to fully geometry check the car next week to be sure.

Two weeks ago, I swapped in my beloved 2016 Fiesta ST MP215 (the third I'd owned), for a ex-demo CTR at £4.5k off list.
Wow...that is a serious discount! :eek:
What colour is your car?

Have to admit it's the first time I have ever heard a Focus RS being referred to as slow :eek: and a rubbish driving position too for that matter. Are you sure that being a Fiesta ST man you don't just have a downer on Focus in general? :lol:

Back