• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 anyway to check clutch health?

As above guys really, juat feels weird to me, and I find sometimes if I rev hard in first and change to second I can crunch the gears but maybe it's me and getting used to the car, because if I think about it as I'm doing it it's usually fine, and also the is a creak at the bottom of the push of the pedal but from reading on here I think it's a common thing and nothing to worry about. Thanks chaps

All common stuff chap. The crunch is because of the high Rev shift ability. To check the health, I was told to put it in 5th at low speed, if the car judder and tries to stall then it's okay. Always seems to work for me.

Ahhh cool, I've tried running it up a step hill in as higher gear as possible to see if it slips as I've seen that somewhere before and it seems fine to me I might try that next, I drive the car alot in 5th from 30 mph just for mpg but I suppose you mean try and start in 5th? Thanks for reply mate

To check clutch i stop to stand still
put it in 4th and lift the clutch and rev hard at the same time.
If it stalls then all good.
If it slips then its nackered.

Short of pulling the clutch there is no way to tell. You could be past the wear markers on the friction disc and it will still pass the above tests. I have changed clutches on cars with 70k miles and they have still had 80% friction material available and seen cars down to the rivets on 20k. Just like your brakes, you can glaze the clutch which might make it seem a bit naff. Again, this is a box off job to remedy...probably a new friction disc.

If you crunch in gear it's because:

1) Your not depressing the clutch properly
2) Your synchros are knackered

Number 2 can happen because of number 1.

It could also be down to a faulty slave cylinder.

Flush your clutch fluid out and see if it's black. The discolouration is the seals being eroded! (they all do that anyway)

But it's cheap and a good place to start. Get a mate to pump the clutch and watch the slave cylinder actuation to see if you get a good range of motion :)

Cheers for that, I've had it at garage and they have checked everything, and he says he can't fault it. Must just be me with not being used to it yet, it dosent crunch gears ever Ive done it a couple of times from first to second, at high revs but that's because I try do it to quick, I've slowed it down now with no problems, really loving the car now.

Just let everyone know I took car to garage juat to check it and all is fine, garage guy says everything feels ok just a little weird to him, he said it just wants to grab and go, so I'm happy with that as he fixes mainly jap cars.

Back