• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

ARC intake

I have had a few PM's about this so I thought I would start a thread ;

The spiel :

ARC has built its reputation by designing some of the best direct replacement parts in Japan. They use superior materials such as Titanium and quality Aluminium to produce some of the more attractive parts on the market without compromising on quality. They focus on cooling technology, exhausts and other niche market products like these.

ARC Super Air induction boxes have an outstanding reputation in Japan. They easily fit in the standard locations and they offer0enhanced filtration and response over OEM items. They are designed to hold air inside the air intake system for increased throttle0response during the ON/OFF acceleration and vacuum situations. An inbuilt funnel stabilises the air speeds to create the maximum flow0and efficiency at higher RPM.

The ARC induction box is constructed from lightweight aluminium for durability and resistance to temperature variations in the engine bay. It also offers an engine bay enhancement.

The ARC Airbox uses the ARC Version II Filter elements which offer superior flow and filtration over OEM items. Also the frame0lamination joint to the filter allows for superior flow over previous versions of these filters. They are also supplied with the ARC logo visible to enhance your engine bay. Colour supplied is Red only.

ARC recommends filters should be cleaned every 2000km with neutral detergent and reused. This way you can prolong the life of the filter. But as these items can deteriorate like any filtration system, optimum performance is maintained by replacing the filter around the 14,000km mark
Pictures :

DSC01275.jpg

02072010346.jpg

02072010348.jpg

Fitted: (DC5)

IMG_1339.jpg

IMG_1340.jpg

Fitted: EP3

02072010350.jpg

02072010351.jpg

Fitting instructions :

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Fitment pictures:

4121963722_9c73f07243_b.jpg

4121963072_10e81738b2_b.jpg

4121189931_75b60f4c68_b.jpg

Dyno comparison :

4267031738_af984721c1_b.jpg

Any issues?

As this kit is specific to the DC5 there is a slight issue when fitting it to an EP3, it is easily rectified.

Just be aware of the issue with the A/C pipe when fitting the ARC to the EP3.

4668486097_0c8e61e29b_b.jpg

4669110858_1df8fe8f23_b.jpg

This is the troublesome air-con pipe. Tbh though i didn't have any problems getting the Induction Box in, its just it sits hard against the pipe and after one quick blast the two had 'grated' together so i just put a piece of sponge in between the two to prevent damage to either surfaces.

4669110704_938dc820c7_b.jpg

DSC01168.jpg
:D

I would also like to add, that fitting to an EP3 causes slight lateral tension on the box, so we recommend fitting spacers on the side of the box to space out the L brackets.

Here is a download link for how the ARC sounds on WOT :D

It is not the best quality but you get the idea. The squeaking noise is my foot on my rubber mats before anyone thinks the car has a f*cked steering rack.

File format is MP4 so you will have to play it on itunes or similar. :D

I would also like to add, that fitting to an EP3 causes slight lateral tension on the box, so we recommend fitting spacers on the side of the box to space out the L brackets.

This is important, mine has split a bit along the top edge next to the block as I fit it with with that fixing first so I did not realise the tension it was under. I have used some gaffer tape to fix but will just get it welded up soon. The performance is unaffected however. It is still my top choice!

Oh and mine has covered over 28k miles.

Just to let people know that RHDJapan are running a discount scheme on all ARC products at the moment till the end of the month.
So the ARC Induction box is only £334.99 plus delivery :bigthumb:

Ady:)

Just to add from my fitting experience.

- The box DOES suffer 'lateral tension' when bolted in to an EP3 without modification.

To counter this. I basically did NOT follow the instructions - these prompt you to bolt all brackets [2 x 'L' brackets (Bracket 'B' in the instructions), and 1 x long bracket (Bracket 'A' in the instructions)] to the Super Induction box.

By following the instructions you do not realise the tension the box is under.

So... What I did was:

(This is obviously once the OEM box is out, and the car is ready to accommodate the ARC.)

- I fitted the aforementioned long bracket (Bracket 'A') to the car first.

- I then bolted the 2 x 'L' brackets (Bracket 'B') to the box and secured those to the car (next to the engine block). I made sure that I spaced the box as far from the engine as possible, and as much as the holes in the brackets would allow.

Secure these tightly so that the box is effectively, only, held by these two bolts.

This should give you an idea of how 'off' the alignment is - as you will see how the 1 x long bracket (Bracket 'A', which you have already fitted to the car, but not to the box) does not line up with the hole in the air box to allow both to bolt together.

My fix - using a spanner/large strong screwdriver - was to gently persuade/bend the 1 x long bracket (Bracket 'A') into a position that allowed it to line up. I didn't quickly bend it then force a bolt through - as the tension is still evident. I permanently bent it so that they line up, and would do regardless of whether a bolt was fitted or not. This eradicated a lot of said tension on the box IMO.

Hope that makes sense.

Note on spacers. I picked up some 3mm ones, which on paper look perfect, however - they are too thick for the short bolts provided by ARC. So with a spacer, the bolts aren't long enough to get decent purchase and screw to the box securely. (barely bites the threads). I didn't use them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers TypeRiter

Will have to take mine out and do this as ive started to get a crack along one of the welds on the left hand side of the box by the (B) Bracket.

Yes mate.

Fit Bracket A into the car first, but don't fit it to the box.

Fit both 'B' brackets to the box and fit them to the car. you'll see how far off bracket 'A' is - which is why the tension occurs. Use that as a guide to bend bracket 'A' into position. This is what I did - it is fiddily - but bent correctly, it lines up nicely with or without a bolt in situ.

The spacers are pointless as the ARC screws are too short to accomodate them and still screw to the airbox. New, longer screws from Wickes are an option I guess?

I hope this is a permanent resolution - as it did line up rather nicely once I had used a heavy duty spanner to apply force and bend it into position. Hate for mine to start cracking. :?

Last edited by a moderator:
My friend made another video last night, he tells me he has an ARC, Spoon Bipe and standard back box - he informs me that the noise is nice and quiet when pottering along normally but when in VTEC she howls like a banshee.

He emailed some video at various states of acceleration. :)

He tells me he did like the Spoon back box but he much prefers a stealth presence :D

[video=youtube;dZ2z_s-oKy8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ2z_s-oKy8[/video]

[video=youtube;oByh-7pHWjU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oByh-7pHWjU[/video]

[video=youtube;bmBsLHujttk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmBsLHujttk[/video]

Interesting.

Does your friend's speedo still read in kph?

Your friend also needs Kpro. :smt023

Back