• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Are clutch master cylinders a common fault?

Picked up my ep3 yesterday,only fault with it is the clutch biting point is mega low and when you select a gear the car rocks forward slightly as if the clutch aint fully dis-engaged.The gear change is also abit tight selecting gears.Ive already said to myself it needs a clutch but my mate in work runs a dc5 and said he had exact same fault and ended up it was the clutch master cylinder at fault? Are these common for going? Probebly due to the fluid never getting changed ect.?

Im going to change it anyway before changing the clutch but just thought id ask if anyone else has experienced it? I tryed searching but most was clutch issues :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Look into getting the clutch pedal adjusted, it sometimes resolves the issue

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

When I got my EP3 - 5 years ago, the clutch bite point was almost on the floor. Felt strange at first. I did about 60,000 miles before changing the clutch. Bite point was more normal with a new clutch.

All I can advise is in the meantime make sure you put the pedal hard to the floor when shifting - especially on high cam.

I done my clutch a few month ago changed the cylinder at the same time, the cylinder felt lumpy and the fluid was dirty. For the cost of it canr hurt to change it

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Did your mate end up using grinspeed?

Picked up my ep3 yesterday,only fault with it is the clutch biting point is mega low and when you select a gear the car rocks forward slightly as if the clutch aint fully dis-engaged.The gear change is also abit tight selecting gears.Ive already said to myself it needs a clutch but my mate in work runs a dc5 and said he had exact same fault and ended up it was the clutch master cylinder at fault? Are these common for going? Probebly due to the fluid never getting changed ect.?

Im going to change it anyway before changing the clutch but just thought id ask if anyone else has experienced it? I tryed searching but most was clutch issues :(

Nah,we'r up in Glasgow. I swapped the master cylinder but not much diffrence,pedal is abit lighter but bite is still on the floor so gonna put a clutch in it on payday :)

Fair enough, when I was at grinspeed last he told me about a guy with a dc5 that had a clutch and master fitted but whoever fitted bled it wrong a wrecked the seal in the master. Wondered if it was your mate.

Sounds identical to when my wife's ep3 needed a new clutch. Replaced with oem clutch and was fine afterwards with biting point high again. Never touched master cylinder.

Back