• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

CH1 ATR Lonely Hearts Club ;)

right here cheeky chops :evil: dont even think of trying to lift that sheepy smiley and use it on our forum:smt018

i have just come back from cuba :cool: and what no atr.org :smt096
had a poke round HR and found our very own tumbleweed who told me where you all are :D cheers rich :smt023
god knows how many pages i have waiting for me since i was last on atr.org:smt107

anyway nice to see ya to see ya nice:D

Tim, dude:D
How you doing mate:smt102
Smoke any big one's in Cuba:smt033

change of subject!

I've just fitted my tein Strut brace and taken out the back seats ready for Brands hatch on Monday - my god does the font feel different! The roads around here are pretty poor (surface-wise) and now even bump is noticeable. it felt like it translated into a much tighter front end but as with all mods this could be a "first drvie placebo effect"
I've always said the strut brace is one of the must have mod for our ATR's. I think every should have one. You can definitely feel the handling is more precise.

Oh and welcome Tim. I thought you was away cos the word association thread was a bit quiet.:D

Welcome Tiim I was wondering what had happened to you on the other forum. Was Cuba good? I'm off to GOA in January to get away from the lovely weather :smt047

And the smilies rule :lol:

Whilst we're on the topic of Strut Braces..just had mine delivered from Frans ;)

Any recommendations for fitting? I take it I need to be on a level surface etc, but have people used a torque wrench to put back on and if they did, What were the correct levels?

Thanks! :smt023

Tim, dude:D
How you doing mate:smt102
Smoke any big one's in Cuba:smt033

I've always said the strut brace is one of the must have mod for our ATR's. I think every should have one. You can definitely feel the handling is more precise.

Oh and welcome Tim. I thought you was away cos the word association thread was a bit quiet.:D

Welcome Tiim I was wondering what had happened to you on the other forum. Was Cuba good? I'm off to GOA in January to get away from the lovely weather :smt047

And the smilies rule :lol:

fine thanks fella's :smt023
yeah smoked the top 3 brands :smt033 and drank loads of rum :smt030 well when in rome you got to really.
weather was fantastic real shock coming back to blighty:smt085
will stick some pics up when normal service is resumed.
goa sounds good i'm sure you will have a great time:cool:
would love a tein strut bar although will have to wait a little while longer.
the smilies are :D :lol: :cool:

Whilst we're on the topic of Strut Braces..just had mine delivered from Frans ;)

Any recommendations for fitting? I take it I need to be on a level surface etc, but have people used a torque wrench to put back on and if they did, What were the correct levels?

Thanks! :smt023

Easy enough to fit i never used a torque wrench :lol: took me about 20 mins, just remember to take the top bolt out of the fuel pipe that touche it an bend the bracket down out the way ;)

Well, mates, since the strut brace has come into the discussion, there are a few things I've been wondering about.

Indeed, I can easily see the benefit it brings on track, or on any evenly surfaced road: sure, the front will be more incisive, no question about that.

But, isn't there any road condition when a little flex wouldn't hurt? For a start, a standard ATR doesn't exactly feel like jelly, right? But, more precisely, I think of mountain roads: some turns have some banking, more or less marked, bringing you towards the apex of course, but I can think of quite a few where the camber is just trying to get you out of the turn... In such conditions, and when the road is uneven, the standard ATR sits flat on the road and tackles it sure-footedly. So, I wonder if a strut brace, in such conditions, wouldn't unsettle such a fine balance. Sure, the suspension has to make its job, but wouldn't it add some stress to it, maybe too much, if the front stiffness is increased?

The concern might seem a little ridiculously exaggerated, but I've been wondering and couldn't decide... Any answer is welcome! ;)

I did both :lol: bolt out an then smashed it with the hammer a few times ;)

I was a bit concerned about Andy's method, but it worked.

I would have put some washers behind the bracket and used a longer bolt to space it out.

I was going to check the torque settings in the workshop manual but it would have meant a 20 minute wait for my old XP laptop to boot up so I checked the release torque and just used that mine where around the 25lb/ft mark which seemed about right to me.

Apart from "moving" the fuel line bracket, i also put the throttle cable above the brace.

All work done on the flat in about 20 mins - don't forget to tighten up the connections between the bar and the plates as well as the centre nut.

Franckv - I think on the handling on public roads will suffer but only on very uneven surfaces. Itmakes sense that a stiffer chassis will be less compliant and therefore suffer the effect of an undulating surface. As for positive and negative camber corners - I think the ARB's and the tyres will be having the biggest influence??

right here cheeky chops :evil: dont even think of trying to lift that sheepy smiley and use it on our forum:smt018

i have just come back from cuba :cool: and what no atr.org :smt096
had a poke round HR and found our very own tumbleweed who told me where you all are :D cheers rich :smt023
god knows how many pages i have waiting for me since i was last on atr.org:smt107

anyway nice to see ya to see ya nice:D

welcome tim :woot: :smt039 glad you found you way over here

as for the smiliees this is my fav:tumble:
any excuse to use it

Got my Tein strut brace from Dan the man a couple of days ago, since he's selling his ATR he wont be having much use for it so :D
It hadn't even been taken out of the box so winner!

Top chap, thanks Dan

...now to fit the brace

P.s Dan that is one well kept ATR, liking the craftmanship in fitting the monitor and loved the tints!

Last edited by a moderator:
Franckv - I think on the handling on public roads will suffer but only on very uneven surfaces. Itmakes sense that a stiffer chassis will be less compliant and therefore suffer the effect of an undulating surface. As for positive and negative camber corners - I think the ARB's and the tyres will be having the biggest influence??

Thanks Stu! :smt023

Indeed, on undulating/bumpy roads, a strut brace might not be the best idea, then... Though I admit it was tempting. :rolleyes:

As for the camber corners, I've driven cars that got quite off-balance when entering one (OK, is a Lada Niva really a car? :lol:), some that were ok, but none that swallowas them as beautifully as the ATR. I guess it might show rahter well the chassis competence of a car, including the parts you mention.

howdy chaps:smt109 ...... good to see we're still managing to keep the usual forum banter going, that right tim lol:lol:

still missing accordr etc, altho there has been probably more activity on this forum in the last week then there was before our one went down!!

i missed you guy!!!:smt022

I didnt really notice that much difference on bumpy roads if i am honest when i fitted mine.
Seemed better on turn in but thats about all i noticed :lol:

Works well now i have the coilovers fitted tho, just need to get it all setup an maybe get a rear brace to complement the front one ;)

Back