• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 Auto stop

Up to temp and with decent charge in the battery. The manual lists the conditions for it to work.

Being warm isn't the only condition. If it's in +R it's deactivated for example.

See above, there is a list of conditions that all need to have been met and as above, it's all in the handbook.

As oil pump works from crankshaft movement and oil pressure drops everytime you stop the car, it is not reccommended to use this system. As oil pressure is low, crank bearings and other moving parts loose their protective oil "sheet" (because oil pump does not hold pressure) and result is increased friction every time you start engine again (until oil pressure is up again). This yet again should ruin engine (Yes, I know this is very very little). If I am terribly wrong then, please educate me!

If I am right, then could someone please tell me, how to disable this?

You press the button every time you start the car to turn it off.

Then again Honda engineered this into the car, with no legal requirement to do so, so I would like to think they know what they are doing. It's not a cold start every time you start again, which may be where your rationale falls down. The stop start system only operates when it reaches a set temperature.

To disable it press the button that has an A in a circle, on the middle of the dashboard above the gear lever, above the Type R serial no.plaque

Start and stop tech adds something like 10x the quantity of cycles to an engine over it's life time, the biggest impact of start-stop really I think is that the starters wear out quicker, and of course the increased friction and so on wearing the crankshaft like you say.

As I understand it, on older engines that would be a major problem and everything would wear out in a matter of a couple of years, but theres some new fangled materials and starters with syncro type devices that they use now so parts last longer, and can handle the lack of oil. They also seem to have special additives for oils that I guess must make the oil stick for longer or something..?

You also have to bare in mind that oil pressure gets up again as soon as the starter starts turning the engine over, so it's like it's running without oil, its just an increased number of cycles, I guess accelerating the wear but it's not constant cold starts so maybe not so bad. All cars seem to come with some form of it now, so I should damn well hope they've done their research!! :p

But I am very doubtful we're going to see this early start-stop generation of cars routinely lasting the 12+ years of life you could easily see out of a car made in the early 2000's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then again Honda engineered this into the car, with no legal requirement to do so, so I would like to think they know what they are doing.

It was my understanding that manufacturers engineer it into cars as it helps with EU economy rules/figures?

No, I'm not talking about emissions. I mean the tests that all cars have to do to provide the fuel economy figures, like 20 mgg urban etc. Stop start greatly helps improving those figures on the test even though in real life we never see the claimed figures.

The Honda starters have been designed for function and durability, taking into account the number of times they will start/stop.

The duty cycle is 275,000 starts which equates to 15 years of typical daily driving, the system will only work when the car is up to temperature, and does not stop to the point where the engine drops in temperature, so oil is still hot and moving parts have an oil film on them before the system automatically restarts after a period of time.
i.e. the system won't sit idle for 5 mins, and after several consecutive stop starts the system will keep the engine running

Stop start systems have been around for a long time now and I've never seen failures of starter motors or engines due to the stop start system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They've only really been fitted on the majority of new cars for about 4-5 years..? I don't think that's all that long in terms of a lot of cars you see on the road. The average age of cars in the UK is like 7.something years, and I still don't think they've been used on the road long enough to know whether it really is bad for the engines etc.

From a manufactures perspective. If it works beyond their warranty period (generally 3 years/60k miles) then it's fit for purpose.
I see plenty of vehicles with stop start system that have a mileage well into 6 figures with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back