• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 AutoCar's verdict

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/RoadTestsHistory/Honda-Civic-2.0-i-VTEC-Type-R/223991/

If the direct link doesn't work just go to the main site and scroll down the page a little (the first drive section is NOT what you want).

Basically it's said:

For High-revving VTEC engine, cheaper than main rivals, fine seats and driving position

Against Not that fast, excessive body roll, short on handling finesse, poor rear visibility

With a bit of...

the Type R weighs 1338kg on our scales

You don’t have to drive the Type R far to realise that the biggest failing of the old car – its artificial and glutinous power steering – has been dramatically improved, too. It is now sensibly weighted and engagingly sporty, if short on genuine feel.

There’s no escaping the fact that the Civic lacks the chassis sophistication you find in rivals like the Focus ST and Golf GTi, which is another way of saying what we’ve feared all along: the switch to a torsion beam rear end has had a detrimental effect.

and... The Verdict

On the right road, when you’re in the mood, there’s much to like about the latest Civic Type R. Once you’re rowing through the gears and listening to that remarkable engine, you’d forgive it a lot. But this is still a disappointing car overall, with a chassis that is exposed by the retrograde rear suspension. Like the manic Astra VXR, the Type R will have its fans, but we aren’t among them.

3.5 Stars out of 5

Right then... that's added £750 to the price of my motor :lol: :wink:

Oh dear. Not the review Honda was hoping for I bet. I really think (and hope) that they should produce some sort of lightened hardcore version. A proper R so to speak.

And weighing in at 1338kg :shock:

Christ, she's a lardy lump isn't she. My Spec C Type RA weighs in 1370kg!!

But as has been said, it'll have it's fans. Whether or not it will become as much of a success as the EP3 remains to be seen. The competition is fierce IMO.

CTR said:

That puts things in context somewhat doesn't it. :lol:

Look on the brightside Liam you'll not have to be on boost to pull away from one :wink:

1338kg!?!? My Fabia is 1325kg and that has a huge lump of pig iron under the bonnet!! :shock: :lol:

CTR_Paul said:
Look on the brightside Liam you'll not have to be on boost to pull away from one :wink:

:lol: :lol:

I am quite shocked at that weight though Paul, seeing as the EP3 CTR weighed in at a scant 1208kg. An extra 130kg of ballast has just appeared from somewhere :shock:

Personally, if I were looking into buying another hot hatch now, I would looking towards the new Clio 197.

CTR said:
Personally, if I were looking into buying another hot hatch now, I would looking towards the new Clio 197.

Likewise, especially as the Cup Chassis is avaliable later in the year or you can order the 197 F1 Team with uprated dampers/shocks/chassis from April.

Not that I'm looking at buying anything else at the moment.

I'm going to test frive it before I pass judgement. Won't buy one though, my DC5 is good enough for me.

I'm really liking the DC5 but I'll be keeping the EP3 for a while yet.

The same was said at the launch of the EP3 over the EK9/DC2.

CTR said:
But as has been said, it'll have it's fans. Whether or not it will become as much of a success as the EP3 remains to be seen. The competition is fierce IMO.

This is all out of context as usual... 1338kg is on Autocar's weighbridge with I dare say a tank full of fuel and fluids. The EP3 would be alot closer to 1300kg in the same condition on the same scales.
1204 kg for the EP3 is Honda's figure which is most likely dry weight (a common trick for Japanese OE figures for weight), they give 1267kg as the official figure of the new CTR. Look here for some sensible numbers for comparison...

http://www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/comp/?id=91322&id=153021

After reading that, I am going to wait a couple of years for the facelift. :wink:

MUXY said:
After reading that, I am going to wait a couple of years for the facelift. :wink:

I think you're a bit late for a facelift! Maybe a head transplant might do it... :wink:

Neily03 said:
MUXY said:

I think you're a bit late for a facelift! Maybe a head transplant might do it... :wink:

:lol: :lol:

(and the fact I still owe 4k on my current CTR) :wink:

So far then two mag reviews out, and two diametrically opposed views. Just goes to show at the end of the day, you still have to drive it yourself.

CTR_Paul said:
CTR said:

That puts things in context somewhat doesn't it. :lol:

My car also weights more than that :lol:

- Kevin.

twisted veiws the supercharger is on hold at mo until i test drive the fn2 on saturday hope i like the way it drives as i love the looks

CTR said:
I am quite shocked at that weight though Paul, seeing as the EP3 CTR weighed in at a scant 1208kg. An extra 130kg of ballast has just appeared from somewhere :shock:

Those big comfy armrests and silly USS Enterprise dashboards aren't light matey :)

ADHDboy said:
The same was said at the launch of the EP3 over the EK9/DC2.

Yes but when the EP3 was released it was a revelation in that it offered stinking performance for very little money. It had no other real competition at the time either, apart from the Clio.

The FN2 has been toned down and made more mainstream which doesn't work for an 'R' badged Honda IMO. I know it's all about profits but also please the enthusiast at the same time. Look at Renault, constantly trying to improve and release more focused versions of their cars. I think their philosophy is bang on at the minute, even if they are French :wink:

Honda could rectify this situation with us, the harder core fans, by at least releasing a a full blooded version. Rid of any unnecessary weight, bit more power and a nice little LSD. They'd shift a bucket load I reckon :mrgreen:

Ultim8_Evil said:
Those big comfy armrests and silly USS Enterprise dashboards aren't light matey :)

:wink: :lol:

sajon44 said:
twisted veiws the supercharger is on hold at mo until i test drive the fn2 on saturday hope i like the way it drives as i love the looks

Where is this test drive occurring? I believe dealers are not getting cars for a couple of weeks?

Back