• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

AUTOGLASS free windscreen chip repair

i got a chip on the windscreen a few weeks ago :eek: lol
it is only small though, for now!! saw the autoglass advert, called them up and said i am with esure fully comp and they checked and said it will be free repair and wont effect my bonus or excess or anything :)

just wondering if any you guys have tried this, and is it actually really free, any catch or anything :confused: why do they do it for free what do they get out of it :confused:

I used this years ago and it was free, no catch.

But in the end I decided to have the windscreen replaced, as the chip was still visable.
So just called them back and paid the excess (£50 back then)

Yeah it's free. No impact on NCB

Auto glass will invoice your insurance company.

thanks guys :)
i will have it booked for next week and hopefully all goes well :)

had it done years ago on my old car by RAC i think, they drilled a tiny hole into the crack and filled with glue, it looked fine and did not get worse, the crack on the ctr is much smaller so i am not sure what they will do this time??

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive had it done. It doesnt make it completely invisible, it leaves a kind of small superglue mark once they have finished.

Worth it though. No affect on your NCB and is free like has been said. Just make sure you have your insurance policy number and company with you when they do it :)

The reason its free as its much cheaper for the insurance companies to pay for the small repair than to replace the screen.

i had my windscreen replaced 3 months ago by them, only cost me £70 excess and keep my ncb

Out of curiosity, what if you had more than one chip? They'd just do the whole process twice and it'd still be free, I imagine...?

Out of curiosity, what if you had more than one chip? They'd just do the whole process twice and it'd still be free, I imagine...?

yep i had two small chips in mine and they said they'd do both for me, although the guy couldnt fix one of them as the resin wouldnt stay in for some reason so he just left it

i had two chips; however they were too big and one was in line of sight so i had to have the whole thing replaced. 70 quid and did not affect my NCB.

just a follow up guys...

they did a excellent job :eek: took 15 minutes, and i can bearly see the crack now :D its also guaranteed!! highly recommended.

Yep it's free, but that's as far as i'd go! If you ever need your screen replacing don't even think about them! They quoted me something like £600+ just for the glass & fitting, no trim or anything! I eventually got it done for around £320, glass, top and side trims + fitting :) Jobs a gudden'

Yep it's free, but that's as far as i'd go! If you ever need your screen replacing don't even think about them! They quoted me something like £600+ just for the glass & fitting, no trim or anything! I eventually got it done for around £320, glass, top and side trims + fitting :) Jobs a gudden'

only cost me £75 for a new windscreen from them

Did you go through your insurence? I think they gave you a discount if you're an AA member too, but it still wasn't that great. A few people I know said they had the same 'rip off quotes' from them, must be spending too much money on adverts! "See this chip ere'... couldn't stand the temperature chAAaaange..." haha.

I've had 3 windscreens in as many weeks now, lol. £70 In total, they had supplied dodgy windscreens. I wasn't paying twice :)

Ring your insurance first, to find out which company to use.

Back