• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

baby on the way convince me to get a fn2

Hi guys in a bit of a dilemma I really want a ctr fn2 but starting off with a house and baby at the moment so in two minds. I have a golf mk 6 tdi at the moment which is 105 tax and 50 mpg. I have looked into fn2 costs and its obviously more I was just wondering if they are crippling to run In the real world my commute is 25 miles round trip. Just wondering what this will cost me compared to the tdi and if its a bad move. Keep getting the new house new baby is so expensive talk but ive had audi tts and corsa vxrs and miss the power lol cheers guys

The FN2 is big enough to fit kids in the back.

Whether running costs are crippling alongside a house depends on your financial situation really.

I know that just wondering if there really that bad as the way I see it they still do 30 mpg plus and there chain driven so no nasty cam belts like my diesel also my annual mileage is 7000 isnt there a break even diesel v petrol point? Also anyone got like monthly running costs? On average? Cheers guys

I know what you mean mate. I had a Toledo TDI 110. Owned it for over 5 years and was a brilliant car and never let me down. There always seem to be something going wrong with it. Like I said, it never left me stranded but little things always need doing or fixing or replacing eg; track rod ends, front coil springs, never ending servicing, heavy on tyres, heavy on brakes. I kept a spread sheet of all costs. I now own a Civic Type R EP3 and I don't think the EP3 is much more expensive to run than the Tolly. You also have to take into account that diesel is that bit more expensive to buy. Obviously this will change from car to car and from driver to driver but in real live I really don't think the Type R is that much more to run than a diesel and I have a 34mile round trip to work and back home daily and its a very enjoyable :) :) :)

I know what you mean mate. I had a Toledo TDI 110. Owned it for over 5 years and was a brilliant car and never let me down. There always seem to be something going wrong with it. Like I said, it never left me stranded but little things always need doing or fixing or replacing eg; track rod ends, front coil springs, never ending servicing, heavy on tyres, heavy on brakes. I kept a spread sheet of all costs. I now own a Civic Type R EP3 and I don't think the EP3 is much more expensive to run than the Tolly. You also have to take into account that diesel is that bit more expensive to buy. Obviously this will change from car to car and from driver to driver but in real live I really don't think the Type R is that much more to run than a diesel and I have a 34mile round trip to work and back home daily and its a very enjoyable :) :) :)

Cheers mate yeah what you getting mpg wise is 35 achievable? What do they need fn2s? Just plugs oil and brakes etc? Looking at one in my local honda dealership and its a 09 and 24500 miles was the rusty door issue fixed by 09? And do the valve clearances need checking? Cheers guys

So why do you want to swap again?

The FN2 will depreciate quicker, cost more in fuel/tax/insurance/tyres than your current car. But that's obvious because it's a performance car.

Do it then. If you're going to get a hot hatch, may as well make it a Type R. Not many common issues, parts are relatively cheap and servicing is roughly £100 a go.

I got an FN2, i do a 60 mile round trip everyday to work, half country roads and half A road. I get 36 mpg when going normal speed (60 on B roads, 70 on A road) When the sun is shinning and i wish to enjoy the Vtec abit more, i get about 27 mpg. But have been known to get 22 mpg.
It can be a harsh car ride and my wife isnt very keen on being a passenger and will always opt to take her car if we going somewhere, but i dont care about that, I love her........................Also like the wife

I got an FN2, i do a 60 mile round trip everyday to work, half country roads and half A road. I get 36 mpg when going normal speed (60 on B roads, 70 on A road) When the sun is shinning and i wish to enjoy the Vtec abit more, i get about 27 mpg. But have been known to get 22 mpg.
It can be a harsh car ride and my wife isnt very keen on being a passenger and will always opt to take her car if we going somewhere, but i dont care about that, I love her........................Also like the wife
LMAO.............. I'm comparing the EP3 here but don't think costs between the EP3 and FN2 will be much different. I get 28 up to 36MPG depending on roads and driving style. Like you already stated normal costs are things like plugs but only get replaced every 40000 miles I think and definitely valve clearance checks again every 40 or 50k miles. Sorry can't comment on rusty doors, don't know anything about it. Honda's is reliable mate. Look after it and will never let you down. Normal servicing and maintenance and it should be OK. You know you want to!!! Just get it!!! :twisted:

Cheers guys into my detailing and wouldnt seem right detailing a tdi haha think I may just go for it as my cambelts due soon just have to wear light shoes so the mpgs the right side of 30 lol hopefully depriciations not too steep Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.

im due in 9 weeks!! I have the FN2 and hubby has the EP3 - loads of room in the back - we currently decorating house and also getting the usual speel -' you need to get rid of those cars and get a good family car' - erm nah we dont think so!! My car is not costing me much more than my old Astra 1.6 - eats £10 a week more petrol if that and the insurance is virtually the same. Hubby has spent lots of money on his car but it actually runs more efficiently than mine which is pretty much still standard. The only thing im worried about is getting baby in and out of the back because its a hatchback but going to see how I get on. Dont listen to everyone else and do what you want to do - you only live once!!

Back