• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Ben's 2005 EP3 Civic Type AAAAAARRRRR!

2005 Nighthawke Black Honda Civic Type R (EP3)

Current Spec - March 2014

Engine/Exhaust
- Custom 80mm Velocity Stack Intake with HKS Mushroom Filter (80mm alloy V Stack fitted)
- Solid Fabrications 3" Catback Exhaust System
- PLM Race Header with Test Pipe
- O2 Simulator
- RBC Ported Intake Manifold (Custom bored to 70mm)
- J's Racing Enlarged Throttle Body
- AEM Fuel Rail
- 440cc RDX Fuel Injectors (Honda)
- 25mm Metal Breather Filter (Rocker Cover)
- TDI North Stage 1 Camshafts (OEM Springs & Retainers)
- Hondata K100 mapped by Paul West at TDI North (256bhp & 174lbs ft/236NM of Torque)

Transmission
- M Factory Helical Limited Slip Differential
- NTN Japanese Differential Bearings
- Spoon 5.10 Final Drive
- M Factory (1-4) Carbon Lined Syncro's
- Syncrotech (5-6) Carbon Lined Syncro's
- Exedy Stage 1 Cluch Kit
- Exedy OEM Lightened Flywheel
- M Factory Gearbox Magnetic Plug
- Box Work all carried out by Stevie at Grinspeed

Suspension & Handling
- Meister Zeta R Coilover Suspension (Fully Adjustable)
- Eibach Rear Adjustable Camber Arms
- Eibach Front Camber Bolts
- J's Racing Front Strutbrace
- J' Racing C Pillar Brace (Rear)
- Tegiwa Lowe Control Arms with Energy Bushes
- Tegiwa Rear Strutbrace (White)
- Tegiwa Lower Tie Bar
- JDM Rear Anti Roll Bar 24mm including bushes
- Progress 27mm Front Anti Roll Bar
- Grinspeed Motorsport Fast Road Set-Up (-1.4 degree neg front camber & -1 degree neg rear camber)

Wheels, Tyres & Brakes
- OEM 17" Enkie Alloy Wheels Powder Coated Championship White
- Brembo DC5 4 Pot Brake Calipers
- Honda S2000 Grooved Front Discs
- 215/45/R17 Michelin HP Primacy Tyres fitted all round
- Brembo Drilled & Grooved Rear Discs
- Goodridge Braided Front & Rear Brake Lines
- 20mm Tegiwa Hub Centric Spacers (Front)
- 15mm Eibach Hub Centric Spacers (Rear)
- Ferodo DS2500 Front Brake Pads
- EBC Yellow Stuff Rear Brake Pads
- Motul Dot 5.1 Brake Fluid
- Tegiwa Brake Stopper Kit

Exterior
- Pre-Facelift Rear Lights (Red)
- 6000K HID Kit (Dipped Beams)
- Private Plate - K20 BEJ
- Honda/Mugen Front & Rear Plate Surrounds
- Pressed Front & Rear Plates
- Matte Black Sprayed OEM Grill (De-Badged)
- Tegiwa Carbon Fibre Air Scoop
- JDM Aerial (OEM)
- JDM Rear Plate Holder (Not yet fitted)
- FN2 OEM Type R Rear Bootlid Badge
- FN2 OEMType R Side Skirt Decals

Interior
- Recaro JDM Red Trendline Seats
- Premier Edition Red Carpet (awaiting fitment)
- Momo JDM/Premier Steering Wheel- Polished OEM Gearknob
- Mugen Foot Pedals
- JDM Coin Holder
- JDM Red Access Mats (Front & Rear)
- Tegiwa Harness Bar
- Stripped Rear (Including Rear Seats, Belts, Door Cards, Parcel Shelf, Rear Wheel, Tool Kit, Rear Trim & Sound Proofing)

Various Bits & Bobs
- Spoon K20 Cam Cover
- Tegiwa Intake Hose (Red)
- Tegiwa Breather Hose (Red)
- Mugen Radiator Cap (Genuine)
- Mugen Oil Cap (Copy)
- Carbon Fibre Plug Cover
- Tegiwa Red Anodized Battery Tie
- Spoon Reservoir Socks x 3
- Stainless Steel K20 Cam Cover Washers
- Stainless Steel Dome Nuts
- Solid Tegiwa Shifter Bushes

Original Thread

I thought it was about time I started a build thread of my car seeing as I have been a member of the forum for nearly a year.
After going on a few Honda meets with my mate last year in his EP3 I decided I had to have one too so after a few months I finally decided to start looking for one in June 2011.

I had originally planned to get a Milano Red Facelift EP3 but after travelling all the way to Gloucester to see a Pink one it slightly put me off so the very next day I travelled to Newport to view a NHB 54 plate EP3. After taking it out for a spin I knew straight away I was going to buy the thing so it was just a case of negotiating the right price so I put down a deposit and picked it up the following weekend.

It had only done 29,000 miles when I got it J here are a few pics from when I got home after picking her up (July 2011)

DSC00139-1.jpg

DSC00140-1.jpg

DSC00146-1.jpg

DSC00149-1.jpg

DSC00150-1.jpg

DSC00141-2.jpg

DSC00148-1.jpg

When I first bought the car I did intend on keeping it relatively standard but I was like a kid in sweet shop when I started seeing all the bits that are available for the EP3.
My previous car was V plate Polo GTI which is a very rare car so sourcing parts for them was very difficult but when I bought the Civic I was amazed at what you could actually do to them. Money was tight at first because I was waiting for my Polo GTI to sell and it eventually did at the end of August 2011 so that freed up some funds for the Civic J I did a few maintenance jobs initially, it need a new rear tyre so I just bought a Kumho so they all matched, it needed a front ARB drop link which my mate fitted and I also had the oil & filter changed.

First modification was a Tegiwa Carbon Airbox which was a great investment, sounds amazing and looks the part too under the engine bay.
I know it’s never going to be a Gruppe M but it’s essentially the same bar the carbon weave and is £300+ cheaper so I was happy with that. Next was time to pimp out the engine bay so I went back to Tegiwa and ordered some bling parts to freshen up the engine bay, spent a few hours cleaning and degreasing before it was time to fit the bits.
Ordered a Carbon Plug Cover, Carbon Inlet Cover, Spoon Socks (+10bhp each), Tegiwa red dome nuts and a Red breather hose as Tegiwa had originally supplied a crappy black one with the airbox.

IMG_1998-1.jpg

IMG_2007-1.jpg

IMG_2008-1.jpg

IMG_2009-1.jpg

IMG_2010-1.jpg

IMG_2011-1.jpg

IMG_2012-1.jpg

IMG_2014-1.jpg

IMG_2015-1.jpg

IMG_2016-1.jpg

IMG_2017-1.jpg

IMG_2018.jpg

IMG_2019.jpg

IMG_2020.jpg

IMG_2021.jpg

IMG_2022.jpg

The Plug Cover needed slightly modifying as one of the holes was off centre so needed re-boring, I did this with a needle file
IMG_2023.jpg

IMG_2025.jpg

IMG_2026.jpg

IMG_2027.jpg

IMG_2028.jpg

IMG_2029.jpg

IMG_2030.jpg

Next on my list after the induction kit was sorting out an exhaust system but again cash was a little tight so I decided to do it in 2 stages.
I really wanted a Spoon N1 backbox but all the second hand N1’s were being snapped up so I had to fork out for a brand new one from Spoon Sports Europe. I really do love the look of these, great sound too although with the OEM B-Pipe you only hear it in the low revs due to the Tegiwa Air box being so damn loud and aggressive when VTEC kicks in J

Once the Spoon was fitted I wanted to invest in a set of the Pre-Facelift Rear lights because I’m not a fan of the Facelift “Lexus Style” clusters, especially on black EP3’s. After searching for a few weeks I sourced a set from eBay which were mint and I managed to get them for a bargain £40 J Happy Days! Got those fitted ASAP

300004_10150432595010519_626195518_10740382_1736818791_n.jpg

300412_10150432595330519_626195518_10740385_877864808_n.jpg

311333_10150432595635519_626195518_10740389_2064657243_n.jpg

291715_10150432595925519_626195518_10740392_1696678009_n.jpg

292075_10150432596170519_626195518_10740395_671534879_n.jpg

317827_10150432596290519_626195518_10740397_492977190_n.jpg

310105_10150432596550519_626195518_10740400_1512967281_n.jpg

Looking slammed at the front due to it being on the ramps J
IMG_2032.jpg

After doing the rear lights it was time to address the second stage of the Exhaust so I ordered myself a Supersprint Un-silenced B-Pipe from Revo Technik!
I decided to get this fitted at ABP Motorsport in Shavington so I headed over there and I also booked it in for a Fast Road Set-Up.
Its only got a mild FRSU with the Eibach front camber bolts and FR Geometry, even with that it’s made a big difference to the handling.
I plan on getting it lowered next month with a Set of Eibach Pro Kits and I will also get a set of the adjustable camber arms

Here’s a video my mate took (Spoon N1, Un-silenced Superspint B-Pipe and Tegiwa AB)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PabLnQUKIM

After getting the exhaust and FRSU sorted I then purchased a few more engine bling bits (getting carried away now!)
Mugen Oil Cap & Radiator Cap, Tegiwa Engine Torque Damper, Tegiwa SFS style hose for the Airbox/Throttle and I also bought some K20 Stainless washers for the rocker cover as some of them had corroded

DSC00403-1.jpg

DSC00405-1.jpg

DSC00406-1.jpg

DSC00407-1.jpg

DSC00401-1.jpg

At this stage I was really happy with the car but still wanted to extract some more power and sort out the tyres because they were awful.
Decided on a full set of Yokohoma Prada Spec 2’s after hearing mixed reviews on them (great in the dry and poo in the wet) but that didn’t deter me so I ordered them from Camskill. I wanted to change the Header next and after looking for months I decided on the Piper Manifold as it had the Sports CAT option to keep everything legal for the MOT’s.

I booked it in at ABP Motorsport and they did the rest J
Piper Manifold, 200 Cell Sports CAT, Energy Suspension Engine Mounts, 02 Simulator and a Full 37.5K Service
After getting all that done and getting the tyres fitted the car felt so much smoother and the handling had improved hugely with the extra grip from the Yoko’s

Here are a few pics!

Old Manifold, Heat Shield, Downpipe & CAT
IMG_2133-1.jpg

IMG_2126.jpg

IMG_2127-1.jpg

Prada Spec 2’s – I went for the 215/40/R17’s after being advised by ABP
IMG_2128.jpg

IMG_2129.jpg

Piper!
IMG_2123-1.jpg

Sports CAT
IMG_2132-1.jpg

That’s pretty much how the car is at the moment, I have done a few more bits & bobs but I don’t have pics of everything I have done.

I have a JDM rear ARB on order and the car is booked in at TDi North for June 19[SUP]th[/SUP] where its having a Hondata K Pro ECU, RBC Inlet Manifold and Re-map J

I’ll post updates as and when they happen now I finally have my build thread sorted

Ben

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice one. The ground clearance looks really good on the piper manifold and sports cat. So you got unsilenced supersprint to a sports cat to a piper manifold. Did they all fit directly or did it require some modifying?

Nice one. The ground clearance looks really good on the piper manifold and sports cat. So you got unsilenced supersprint to a sports cat to a piper manifold. Did they all fit directly or did it require some modifying?

Thanks mate
Yeah they all fitted directly, no modification required whatsoever which is good. The clearance on the Supersprint B Pipe isnt brilliant but as i'm still on the OEM Shocks & Springs I dont have any problems however I will be getting a set of Eibach Pro Kit Springs next which are -15/20mm so i'll have to wait and see if there are any issues with them fitted.

its a GReddy EVO TT catback, the pipe is 70mm. But its more the design and direction of the OEM cat that reduces the clearance. How much was your sports cat and where did you buy it?

Nice choice :)
My B-Pipe is 2.5" which is roughly 64/65mm so in terms of clearance there shouldn’t be much difference really.
You are right though the OEM Cat is huge in comparison to my Sports CAT which has given me a lot more clearance, they retail at £299 for a Piper 200 cell but you may be able to get that cheaper if you shop around (or buy a 2nd hand one).

The Sports CAT bolted straight onto my B-Pipe as the flanges were the same so you may need to check that before buying one, also bear in mind that the Piper Sports CAT is built specifically for the piper manifold so I’m not sure if it will be a direct fit on other applications.

Piper :) u can't go wrong there mate . Car looking good really get the mods on in good order .
I'm thinking about doing same thing with rear lights . Was they a straight swap over from the facelift ones ?

Piper :) u can't go wrong there mate . Car looking good really get the mods on in good order .
I'm thinking about doing same thing with rear lights . Was they a straight swap over from the facelift ones ?

Thanks Mate :)
Yeah the lights are a straight swap in terms of fitment but some of the bulbs are different, if I remember correctly its the reversing light that had to be changed. Its a relatively easy job provided your careful when removing the bumper, just take care and you will be fine. Keep checking eBay for the rear lights because you can pick up a set for a bargain if your lucky, alternatively you could buy a new set from the hendy shop

Really enjoyed reading your write up Ben.

Great progress man - with some good updates penciled in, I look forward to hearing the results of the mapping and seeing the car lowered.

Really enjoyed reading your write up Ben.

Great progress man - with some good updates penciled in, I look forward to hearing the results of the mapping and seeing the car lowered.

Thanks very much mate :) appreciate it
I hope it was a good read, i'll try and keep on top of the future updates.
TDi North should be a good day out and i'm hoping to get close to the 240 mark, I've heard nothing but good things about them so i'm sure I wont be disapointed. As for the lowering i'm trying to be as sensible as possible with the Eibach Pro Kit

Very nice EP3 mate and really good thread, my personal favourite is the pre-facelift tail light swap, I have got a 52 plate EP3 and have always preferred the lights to the post face-lift.
You will have a great day at TDI pal and will love the re-map :)

Very nice EP3 mate and really good thread, my personal favourite is the pre-facelift tail light swap, I have got a 52 plate EP3 and have always preferred the lights to the post face-lift.
You will have a great day at TDI pal and will love the re-map :)

Thanks Pete :)
Just read through your build thread, looks like our engine bays will be very similar when you get all your bits fitted, loving the custom rocker cover too. Yeah Pre-Facelift rear lights are essential on a NHB EP3 in my opinion, the facelift rear lights were not to my taste so they simply had to go. I'm already looking forward to my trip to TDi north :) I'm quite interested to see what power mine is producing now so having dyno tests before and after the K Pro & RBC will be interesting

Looking good Benny boy :D

You certainly haven't hung around with this build mate, nice work, keep it up :D

Cheers Scott :)
Yeah its coming along nicely mate, lowering next followed by a trip to TDI North!
I'll be keeping an eye on your thread, look forward to seeing you on the next Evo run

Cheers Scott :)
Yeah its coming along nicely mate, lowering next followed by a trip to TDI North!
I'll be keeping an eye on your thread, look forward to seeing you on the next Evo run

My threads been very slow :lol:

Superleggeras finally at the powder coaters :D

Now looking at red wheel nuts, decals and centre caps to finish them off before they go on :D

Nice car mate, After the kPro, you'll probably run with 240+bhp.

After that you'll be wanting cams! :D

Back