• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Ben's 2005 EP3 Civic Type AAAAAARRRRR!

Very lazy by me :) cheers for the bump Pete

Not updated this thread since having the LSD fitted so here are a few updates before the cams were fitted

I went on a North Wales run back in June which was good fun, a lot of people pulled out last minute so only 6 cars made it but fortunately we had a nice little surprise on the Evo triangle :cool:
you don't see many Honda NSX & Toyota Supras together very often, especially not that many

My S90 70mm throttle body had been playing up for sometime so I decided to get that changed over in June by my mate Gaz.
It was absolutely fine on the move but when slowing down for junctions the throttle butterfly would be very sticky and it didn't like re-opening so was cause the car to labour/shudder when pulling away from junctions etc.

Anyway managed to picked up a new J's racing throttle body for £300 which was second hand but never used. It came with a full set of brand new throttle body sensors aswell as the relevant adapter gaskets and the sell also threw in a brand new J's racing oil cap which sealed the deal for me.

All Fitted

Unfortunately the oil cap didn't like my car very much so decided to pack up and leave shortly after fitting it
:lol:
So back went on the fake Mugen oil cap :rolleyes:

My front Grill was looking a little tired so I decided to freshen it up with a few coats of matte black paint.
The Honda badge was totally battered so I removed that completely and it's yet to be replaced

Started with 800 & 1200 grades of wet & dry on the grill then applied plastic primer followed by two coats of matte black.
Happy with the results
:) I also removed the front type R badge too

Next up was Cams! I paid my deposit for the cams back in February so I was glad to finally be getting them fitted after a couple of delays (on my part)

I was at TDI north last wednesday having a set of their camshafts installed combined with a set of Honda 440cc fuel injectors.
Unfortunately I made a slight miscalculation with the timing and got there at 8:10
:lol: had it in my head they open at half 8 despite being there 3 or 4 times before but as it turns out they start at 9. I must remember that for next time.

So I arrived bright and early

Neil at TDI then got to work on changing the cams over and setting the valve clearances

Once the cams were swapped over it was then Paul's job to swap out the injectors but unfortunately there was a problem. Neil noticed there was a huge crack in one of the fuel rail mounting taps, it was literally on by a thread and could not be re-fitted so that was a bit of an unexpected shock. Fortunately TDI had a brand new black AEM Fuel rail in stock so I decided to buy that and Paul & Neil swapped them over and fitted the new injectors.

It was a very long day as there was a couple of other cars having work done so my car landed on the dyno at half 4.
Paul then began doing what he does best and set about re-mapping the car
:cool:

It was hot day on the wednesday and a couple of the other cars that were being tuned had produced lower figures than previously so I wasn't too confident about the car breaking the 260 power mark. Civic Cup EP3 was re-mapped to 245 (previously made 259) and a EK4 K20'D VTI made 268bhp (previously 275) so I thought if it breaks the 255 mark it would have done well.

Thankfully I was just about bang on!

The only disappointing thing was the torque figure because previously it made 166 lbs ft and it was now down on torque.
Paul has put this down to the Piper Header and I think it's safe to say I have reached it's limitations now, it's short primariers and two section design appear to be killing the mid-range torque (like a CAT would) so that's next on the list to be changed. The car should me making 175/180 with this kind of set-up so the next stage for me is to change the header and get the map tweaked.

I can't fault how the car drives though, it's very responsive and goes like a rocket in the high revs with the cams and spoon final drive.
The previous map was a little smoother due to the brillaint torque curve so the delivery is not quite the same now but i'm sure those issues will be ironed out once the new header is fitted.

The funny thing was I had already purchased a new header from a chap off here and CTRO (PulpmelonR)
It's a PLM (Kidd racing) race header so this should be a nice upgrade to the Piper, due to it's design I also needed a different front ARB (JDM style) so I also purchased a 27mm Progress front ARB from the same seller
:cool:

Few snaps of the new AEM Fuel Rail with 440cc's, the mounting taps of the AEM are twice the thickness of the Tegiwa rail so i'm hoping this one won't break :lol:

When changing the throttle body over last month we noticed the RBC was very dirty with oil residue, this was due to the tegiwa breather hose feeding oil through the filter into the intake manifold. Simple little fix for this is a breather filter so I measured the breather pipe diameter and got one ordered from eBay

Not bad for £4 - says 18mm on the top but the one I have ordered is 22mm

I have also ordered a M Factory weighted Gearknob from Eightspeed which should turn up this week.
I also have a set of solid shifter bushes and i'm after a short shifter so the plan is to get them all fitted together

Here are a couple of snaps of the damaged fuel rail and a few more from TDI

Overall i'm very pleased with the car now, there are still a couple of things I would like putting right but in general it's roughly where I wanted it to be.
255bhp NA is very good and I think with the new PLM header fitted it may very well break the 260 mark, next time I will make sure it's a cold day. :)

Another problem I have at the moment is my RBC is ported to 70mm but the J's racing throttle body is only 65mm so this may be creating turbulence inside the intake which certainly won't be doing me any favours. That throttle body may have to be sold on in the future and replaced with a 70mm Skunk 2, I also plan on changing the intake from the Tegiwa airbox to a custom CAI with velocity stack, after seeing results from testing in the states & UK they seem to yield good gains. Happy for now though and I will try to keep this thread up to date in the future

Ben,

Right finally got the oppourtunity to write a proper response to your update from yesterday haha :)

Epic write up buddy, first off that was a stroke of luck stumbling across a NSX / Supra meet at the evo triangle, I have only seen one NSX in the flesh and you have got one picture with about six or seven in haha.

The J's Racing throttle body looks a nice bit of kit buddy so did the J's oil cap what a shame it decided to vacate the engine bay shortly after fitting, did you ever find it? lol luckily you realised something wasnt right and pulled over.

Good job with the grill too mate its made a real difference freshening it up and it doesnt look out of place without the red H or the Type R badges being removed either, are you still planning on fitting a new H or leaving it as it is?

Sounds like you had an early start at TDI mate, the car looks really clean on the pics taken outside the workshop and the weather looks great - I usually end up going up through rain, sleet or snow haha.

Its a good idea going for the uprated injectors, did you decide against the valve springs in the end? glad that the cams went in nice and easy, a bit of a pig about the Tegiwa fuel rail being broken and the unwanted extra expense but at least it was spotted and I am sure the AEM item will have a much longer life span.

A good solid result with the 255bhp pal and like you said it was pretty warm compared to the usual weather we have here in the UK which will have made a difference as the other cars there also saw, dont be too disappointed with the slight drop in torque without comparing my old maps I am 99% sure my torque dipped slightly when the cams were installed, 255bhp N/A from 197bhp is pretty special and as Paul said the Piper manifold is probably restricting things which will hopefully be cured with the PLM manifold.

In a ridiculous coincidence the EP3 of Rob Williams that you have the photos of is the person I have been referring to as the local MOT tester that I have been speaking to for advice with exhaust systems and sports cats, he works about 500 yards down the road from me and I have seen this car a few times in the flesh myself, he's an impressive driver from what I have heard/read (scary small world haha)

Glad you are pleased with it buddy and looking forward to seeing the results of the manifold and skunk 2 throttle body upgrades :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Pete :)
Yeah it was a very nice surprise meeting up with the Honda NSX & Supra boys & girls, one of the lads had heard they were having a meet in the area but we had no idea at what time and it was just a stroke a luck that they were there at the same time. There was some lovely examples, a couple of NSX Type R's too which are very rare, most of the owners were in their 40's & 50's as you would expect (some older) but they were friendly and stopped for 10 to 15 mins. It made us all feel rather poor in our Civic's and Integra's but it was nice to see so many super cars on show :lol:

Yeah just bad luck regarding the oil cap mate, I did go looking for it shortly afterwards but with no joy, I kept seeing things glistening on the road side but unfortunately they were either fag packets or empty coke cans haha. The throttle body is a lovely bit of kit though although in hindsight I wish I would have bought a Skunk 2 70mm as the J's is only 65mm and my RBC is ported to 70. I think the grill looks nicer too Pete, the metallic grey OEM coating makes the front end look a little dull when it's been cleaned up so the black on black looks a bit more aggressive and fresher. Reference the badge I would like to replace the front H but I was thinking of getting a Carbon style badge rather than the traditional Red but I do have a habit of changing my mind a lot haha :)

Thanks Pete the car does clean up quiet well although the paintwork does have a lot of swirls these days which I would like to be corrected, the bonnet, front wings and lower bumper would benefit from some fresh paint as they have taken a bit of a battering in the last 2 years. Yeah I decided against the valve springs mate although to be honest I wish I would have got them done now
:lol: I stuck the cams on the credit card which always seems like better value haha. The money I had saved for the cams had to be spent on other things unfortunately bar my deposit so the extra cost of the valve springs, fitting costs as well as hotel costs (2 day job) made me question if it was going to be worthwhile. The problem I have now is that if I want to change them in the future it will cost even more because the cams will have to come back out which will overall end up costing more.

I agree mate 255bhp from a 2 ltr is pretty impressive especially with the stock figure being 197, that's 127.5 bhp per litre which anybody would be happy with. The BHP per tonne is now on par with a BMW E46 M3 too which is nice
. Once the new exhaust manifold is fitted it should hopefully cure the torque flat spot and give it a smoother power delivery.

I was speaking to Rob when I was there and he seems like a top bloke Pete, he was telling me about some of his results in the Tegiwa Civic Cup and by all accounts he was top of the leader board winning most of the races. His car looked great too, all the decals made it stand out and it was kitted out well inside with the cage and light weight buckets. Due to the weight difference between the EK4 & EG Civics that compete in the Civic Cup his EP3 has to have a weight ballast to keep the power to weight ratio at 175/180bhp per tonne so instead of weighing around 1170KG's with him driving it, it's actually 1350 due to two massive weight ballasts (180KG combined). We will have to meet up next time you are at TDI fella, let us know when you are next in :)

Treated the car to a nice clean this weekend :) weather was decent so it was rude not to

I sorted out a few front end stone chips a few days earlier ready to give it a nice clean on the weekend

What I used
Dodo Juice Sour Power Shampoo
2 Bucket Method with Grit Guards - using a Wool Wash Mit
Meguiars Bug & Tar Remover - used on Bonnet, both Bumpers, Sills & both Doors
Poorboys Black Hole Glaze - 2 Coats used on the bodywork
Turtle Wax Colour Magic - 3 Coats (used only on Bonnet & Front Bumper)
Dodo Juice Purple Haze Wax - 3 Coats (Just 2 on the body & 3 on bonnet & front bumper)
Poorboys Wheel Sealant
Meguiars Tyre Dresser
Turtle Wax Safe Cut (Used only on Headlights)

Results

Picture545_zpsf1bfa1de.jpg
[/URL]

Picture546_zps227a1e01.jpg
[/URL]

Picture549_zps4ba722d2.jpg
[/URL]

Picture548_zps4e817385.jpg
[/URL]

Picture566_zps85b88ec2.jpg
[/URL]

Picture565_zps9805339d.jpg
[/URL]

Picture564_zps72a13f36.jpg
[/URL]

Picture570_zpse89c2fb2.jpg
[/URL]

Picture558_zpsa1f6a07a.jpg
[/URL]

Picture583_zpseca4c01f.jpg
[/URL]

Picture579_zps95112f55.jpg
[/URL]

Picture586_zpsf685290c.jpg
[/URL]

Picture588_zpsa7481021.jpg
[/URL]

Picture573_zpseafcfa54.jpg
[/URL]

Picture552_zpsacb707ab.jpg
[/URL]

Picture555_zps4a8ca3db.jpg
[/URL]

Picture574_zps2487a859.jpg
[/URL]

Picture581_zpsd2957e34.jpg
[/URL]

Picture562_zps7d60e7b1.jpg
[/URL]

Picture561_zpsfd78eeea.jpg
[/URL]

Pretty pleased with how it came out, I do need to invest in a good machine polisher to remove some of the deeper swirls but overall it looks good for a daily used car. Next time I will go over it with a clay bar to get rid of some of the deeper grime too

Good work man. Shiny NHB.

Clean headlights, telling me I need to do mine too. :D

Cheers Fella :)
I have tried a few things with the headlights including special plastic polish and colgate toothpaste but neither got rid of the deep hazing.
Best stuff I can recommend is the Turtle Wax Safe Cut, its £4.99 and give each headlight 20 mins and they will look like new

Will that sort murky headlights?

My headlights are deep murked. :mad:

Yes it will mate, mine were very murky & hazed at the top and the safe cut that eliminated that with a couple of coats.
It's a cutting compound rather than a polish which is exactly what you need on plastics, really is brilliant stuff and cheap too.

Forget about expensive headlight restoration kits, this stuff is far cheaper and will be a lot less work

Yes it will mate, mine were very murky & hazed at the top and the safe cut that eliminated that with a couple of coats.
It's a cutting compound rather than a polish which is exactly what you need on plastics, really is brilliant stuff and cheap too.

Forget about expensive headlight restoration kits, this stuff is far cheaper and will be a lot less work

Thanks for letting me know. Gotta go and buy it. :cool:

Back