• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Ben's 2005 EP3 Civic Type AAAAAARRRRR!

Post made for a good read Ben,

Brakes look right at home, should've been like that from factory. Are they a direct fit?

Seats look smart, how come you didn't fit the carpet at the same time?

Post made for a good read Ben,

Brakes look right at home, should've been like that from factory. Are they a direct fit?

Seats look smart, how come you didn't fit the carpet at the same time?

Cheers mate, much appreciated
Yeah the brakes look spot on behind the wheels, really do look the part and will no doubt be a great upgrade (unfortunately haven't had chance to appreciate them yet).

They are not a straight fit unfortunately, you will need Honda S2000 discs, DC5 brake pads and 20mm spacers (for stock wheels). Pretty straight forward though if you have the right parts, the S2000 discs are also 300mm but but they are slightly deeper which is required for the brembo calipers. Not fitting the carpet was just me being lazy basically :) it needs a massive clean as the carpet had been in storage for a couple of years by the previous owner, needs a good wet wax and a good airing so I'll sort that out in the summer. Means taking the seats out again but my mate was collecting my OE seats so I needed to get the recaros in ASAP

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Brilliant write up buddy!!!

So many great upgrades within the space of a few days. :)
It's a shame you've got a bit of an issue with one of the coilovers mate, never anything completely straight forward but as you said Stevie will get it all sorted for you and then you can put it through its paces properly.

The calipers look fantastic, even more so behind the white wheels it really sets them off and as Daz said exactly how it should have been coming out of the factory.
Recaro's also look awesome buddy and look in ridiculously great condition, another thing that I feel every Type R should have come with as a standard trim, even the new badge and decals look great.

Always been a fan of your car as you know mate and with the recent upgrades its got to be the most complete all round EP3 on the forum, looking forward to having a proper nose around at JAE.

When are you taking it back to Stevie?

Thanks Pete :)
Yeah really was an exciting couple of days bar the slight mishap with the coilovers but that will soon be rectified :cool:

Totally agree about the brakes and the seats, both should have been standard from the factory, haven't had chance to appreciate either of them just yet but looking forward to it immensely.
The car is back at Grinspeed on Monday so Stevie should be able to put it right for me, got a feeling the faulty one may need to be replaced but don't want to speculate too much until he has assessed the problem.

It's been a total money pit mate but is finally coming together now :) seats are in really good condition so I'm chuffed with them, little bit faded as you would expect but the colour has been maintained well over the last 10 or so years.

Looking forward to JAE now more than ever, give me a good chance to have a good look around yours too :D definitely need to get some side by side pics together of both motors
Might have to steal you're carbon bonnet and wheels when you are not looking though, wind deflectors will be half inched too :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking forward to JAE now more than ever, give me a good chance to have a good look around yours too :D definitely need to get some side by side pics together of both motors
Might have to steal you're carbon bonnet and wheels when you are not looking though, wind deflectors will be half inched too :wink:

JAE will be great buddy and the weather can't be worse than last year haha, yes mate will definitely get some good side by side pics.

Thats fine mate at least I know you will be distracted with the bonnet and wheels whilst I get to work on the Brembo's and Recaro's :D

Nice (big) write up Ben. Car looks superb with proper brakes fitted and nice seats. Really feel your pain over the coilover issue. Nothing worse than having new shiny bits fitted then having something break or go wrong and stop you from enjoying them. Hope you get it sorted soon (I know Stevie will look after you). :)

great forum i have really enjoyed reading this looking foward to more updates

Cheers mate, appreciate it :)

JAE will be great buddy and the weather can't be worse than last year haha, yes mate will definitely get some good side by side pics.

Thats fine mate at least I know you will be distracted with the bonnet and wheels whilst I get to work on the Brembo's and Recaro's :D

Haha yeah lets hope for some good weather mate, don't fancy sleeping in a tent in the pi55ing rain :lol: tent can be used to store stolen parts

Definitely get plenty of pictures and be good to have a few beers, be good to meet a few people from the forums too and put names to faces etc

Nice (big) write up Ben. Car looks superb with proper brakes fitted and nice seats. Really feel your pain over the coilover issue. Nothing worse than having new shiny bits fitted then having something break or go wrong and stop you from enjoying them. Hope you get it sorted soon (I know Stevie will look after you). :)

Thanks Paul :) much appreciated
Yeah never nice when things go wrong but I mustn't grumble too much because to date the car has been pretty faultless bar the recent issues.
As you said Stevie and Lee will no doubt put it right in no time, back at Grinspeed on Monday so already looking forward to using the car again

Cheers for the bump Pete :D

Bit of a small update, the car was back at Grinspeed this morning having the suspension issue examined.

Pleased to say it was a very simple and quick fix :) arrived early (no shock there) and Stevie turned up at half 8 to take it for a quick spin.
Stevie took it round the block and commented that something was clearly wrong, it then went straight into the workshop to be assessed.

Stevie established the cause of the problem to be the top mount nut which was loose and was the sole culprit of the very irritating knocking. He hasn't ever seen this issue before so it was a first for him, once tightened it totally resolved the problem. I took it for a quick spin around the block and then took it back into the workshop for the geo to be checked. Stevie then gave the car another check over and I then took it for another run to ensure I was fully happy with the car.
Everything was faultless, car felt really planted and the ride comfort was also very good, this also gave me the chance to finally give the brakes a good test :)

Went back to the workshop and then headed back home, this was about 9 o clock now so as you can imagine I was delighted to have the car fixed so quickly, nice to be back driving it again.

Unfortunately I had a bit of bad news on the way home :( I was close to home on the A55 and without realising got a little carried away with my speed.
I'm normally a stickler for sticking to the speed limits but having the car back and running right I just wasn't really paying much attention (too busy enjoying having the car back) and I got pulled over by the Police near St. Asaph.

They clocked me with their laser gun doing 92mph, I can't have any complaints because it was just stupid on my part (wrong place at the wrong time). I was kicking myself because all along the M6 & M56 I was sat at a solid 75mph.
He had a quiet word, issued me with a ticket and sent me on my way. Unfortunately I won't qualify for the speed awareness course because I have already done one in the last 3 years, annoying because until now my license was totally clean.

Oh well these things happen, nobody to blame but myself but it's still frustrating!
As you can imagine I wasn't in the best of moods after that but decided to head up the Denbigh moors to get a few pictures :)

Positive news is the car feels great, no knocking and the new brake setup offers a substantial improvement over the standard setup, the feedback from the pedal is instant so I'm really pleased with them.
Only slight issue I have is the rear tyres do catch on the lip of the inner arch, this only happens when you go over a bumpy surface but I'm not going to worry about that too much for the time being, I have a few options available to resolve that such as raising the car a few mm's, removing the spacers or possibly having the rear arches rolled.

I'm attending the North Wales TRO meet/run this weekend around Snowdonia so i'll be sure to get plenty of pictures :cool:

That's it for now, I will be licking my wounds the next few days about my speeding fine :lol:

Back