• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Ben's 2005 EP3 Civic Type AAAAAARRRRR!

Firstly, this car is probably the best EP3 on the forum. It's a wonderful expression of what can be achieved with diligence and attention to detail.

Those LCAs! :eek: I've never seen that before, genuinely shocking.

I really want to see a video of that exhaust! I thought that my last set-up was unbearable at motorway speeds, but that must be ludicrously loud. I salute you Sir (and your NIHL).

Firstly, this car is probably the best EP3 on the forum. It's a wonderful expression of what can be achieved with diligence and attention to detail.

Those LCAs! :eek: I've never seen that before, genuinely shocking.

I really want to see a video of that exhaust! I thought that my last set-up was unbearable at motorway speeds, but that must be ludicrously loud. I salute you Sir (and your NIHL).

Thanks for the kind words Jimbo :) much appreciated
It's nearing the "I've finished" stage now but there are still a few areas that I would like to get improved

Yup the LCA's were in a ridiculous state in all honesty, I've never seen aluminium deteriorate like that before so I can only assume it was of very poor quality.
The Skunk 2 arms are far better quality and a lot thicker too so will offer a lot more strength and hopefully will never need replacing

Videos will be posted shortly :cool: I would say "turn the volume up" but in this case it isn't really necessary
My hearing will definitely take a turn for the worst but that may very well make the exhaust more bearable long term

Videos as promised :)

The day/evening it was fitted (sorry about the quality)

[video=youtube;AHBBvLA5cEA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHBBvLA5cEA[/video]

In car video taken a couple of days later

[video=youtube;-PeAd1zmx_s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PeAd1zmx_s[/video]

This was my old solid fabrications system as a comparison

[video=youtube;buqqd4AhCr0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buqqd4AhCr0&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
Cadbury's LCA's FTW not! How long had they been on Ben?

Car looking very clean and that exhaust will send people diving for cover! Sounds mental. :)

Cadbury's LCA's FTW not! How long had they been on Ben?

Car looking very clean and that exhaust will send people diving for cover! Sounds mental. :)
Cheers Paul
The LCA's had been on the car for over 2 years and I hadn't noticed the deterioration until only very recently, thankfully it was spotted before they got really bad. Tegiwa acted quickly but really they should have been doing more to make people aware of the issues they had been having. The skunk arms are of far superior quality and I suspect won't cause me any issues so I'm pleased overall

As for the exhaust it certainly isn't for the faint hearted long term it's not something I could live with but I'll just enjoy it for the time being

Picture of the LCA's before they were removed

26af03814684d898c32465db90d2b109.jpg

Cheers Pete :)
Yeah the LCA's were in a shocking state, I was pretty annoyed at the time because Tegiwa had issued warnings about fake Skunk 2 control arms snapping and how dangerous they are yet their own LCA's were clearly no better.
To be fair though they did act quickly and I received the Skunk arms the very next day, just pleased nothing went wrong because it could have been a serious accident

I'll try to get the vids uploaded on here but it's just crazy mate, it's so loud it's kind of funny.
Definitely can't stay that way because on a dual carriage way it really is unbearable as I'm sure you can imagine but for day to day use driving to work it's not too bad.

How's your EP3 going Pete, haven't seen any updates for a while?

I did wonder why they had hauled their LCA's off the Tegiwa website, now I know why haha I was actually thinking of getting a pair but know to play it safe with the Skunk arms.
At least they acted quickly and got the replacement parts out to you the next day, guess they had no choice with the potential danger of the faulty arms.

I love the exhaust mate, don't get me wrong I'm not sure I could live with it as a daily driver with the dual carriageways, motorways etc but for weekend blasts it's superb, that's probably me showing my old age haha :)

Cars going well thanks buddy, recently had the skunk tb bracket adjusted as the throttle kept biting/snapping at slow speeds making driving around town a pain in the arse, basically just bent the bracket as the cable was at an angle and it's driving 100% better now.

not even sure what page the thread is on buddy, need to go on the hunt and get an update done haha

I did wonder why they had hauled their LCA's off the Tegiwa website, now I know why haha I was actually thinking of getting a pair but know to play it safe with the Skunk arms.
At least they acted quickly and got the replacement parts out to you the next day, guess they had no choice with the potential danger of the faulty arms.

I love the exhaust mate, don't get me wrong I'm not sure I could live with it as a daily driver with the dual carriageways, motorways etc but for weekend blasts it's superb, that's probably me showing my old age haha :)

Cars going well thanks buddy, recently had the skunk tb bracket adjusted as the throttle kept biting/snapping at slow speeds making driving around town a pain in the arse, basically just bent the bracket as the cable was at an angle and it's driving 100% better now.

not even sure what page the thread is on buddy, need to go on the hunt and get an update done haha

Yeah I had a look myself after reporting the problem about the LCA's and noticed they were missing from the site :) I think mine were from the 1st production batch when they were only available in plain aluminium whereas the later batches were anodized.
Doesn't look like they were any better though if they have been discontinued, I think you will be safe with a set of Skunk 2 arms mate :cool:

I totally agree about the exhaust mate and to be honest it's not something I will be able to live with long term, I think the novelty will wear off sooner rather than later:lol:
I went from having a crazy loud setup with the Spoon catback (especially when it was un-silenced) to a very timid/refined sound with the solid fab setup so this new system is more along the lines of the Spoon setup but probably another 10-15 decibels louder.

Glad your car is going well Pete, it's one hell of a spec so must be good fun to drive. Have you been enjoying the LSD since that was fitted?
I know exactly how infuriating/embarrassing a sticky throttle body can be around town, it makes the car an absolute dog to drive. I had a similar issue with my old S90 70mm TB where the butterfly valve would stick shut in the low revs, it was horrible to drive when it was like that. I hope the Skunk 2 TB that I've bought doesn't cause any issues because I understand it's quite common for them to be a problem.

Get some updates posted :) i'll have a scan for your thread to see if I can find it haha

Yeah I had a look myself after reporting the problem about the LCA's and noticed they were missing from the site :) I think mine were from the 1st production batch when they were only available in plain aluminium whereas the later batches were anodized.
Doesn't look like they were any better though if they have been discontinued, I think you will be safe with a set of Skunk 2 arms mate :cool:

I totally agree about the exhaust mate and to be honest it's not something I will be able to live with long term, I think the novelty will wear off sooner rather than later:lol:
I went from having a crazy loud setup with the Spoon catback (especially when it was un-silenced) to a very timid/refined sound with the solid fab setup so this new system is more along the lines of the Spoon setup but probably another 10-15 decibels louder.

Glad your car is going well Pete, it's one hell of a spec so must be good fun to drive. Have you been enjoying the LSD since that was fitted?
I know exactly how infuriating/embarrassing a sticky throttle body can be around town, it makes the car an absolute dog to drive. I had a similar issue with my old S90 70mm TB where the butterfly valve would stick shut in the low revs, it was horrible to drive when it was like that. I hope the Skunk 2 TB that I've bought doesn't cause any issues because I understand it's quite common for them to be a problem.

Get some updates posted :) i'll have a scan for your thread to see if I can find it haha

Pretty scary mate when products don't get properly tested, they probably fitted a set onto an EP3 drove it for a couple of miles and then thought yep they will do haha on the plus side at least you've got a nice set of skunk2 arms on now.

cant believe its about another 10+ db louder than a unsilenced spoon system haha what a mental piece of kit, the YouTube clip had me smiling to myself for ages lol

the LSD is superb mate and have been enjoying it even more since the throttle isn't snapping every time I plant the throttle, such an easy fix but has made the car so much better to drive again.

I think overall the skunk2 tb is a good piece of kit, just look out for the screw on the throttle wheel backing out when you open up the taps (might need a bit of thread lock) and the throttle cable arm/eye which may need bending slightly so the cable sits straight.

definitely need to meet up in the new year buddy it's been way too long.

Sorry for the late reply Pete, don't get updates on my phone anymore so have to keep reminding myself to login to the forum (memory like a goldfish)

Just checked out your thread and noticed the new additions :) JDM goodness

Glad you are enjoying the car with the LSD, it's a night and day difference.
I'll be at TDI North some point in the next few months to get my car mapped again with the Skunk additions so will post an update with the results

Hoping it will do well again, the new exhaust is more free flowing and coupled with a better intake setup I'm hoping there will be some nice midrange improvements :cool:

The car will be going into the bodyshop in the next couple of months too for some spray work, unfortunately one of the big rubbish bins at work blew into my car and has scratched the passenger door (thankfully my work have agreed to pay for it).
It will also be having the front end resprayed so should look nice and fresh for the summer months :)

Hopefully post some new updates soon :smt023

Sorry for the late reply Pete, don't get updates on my phone anymore so have to keep reminding myself to login to the forum (memory like a goldfish)

Just checked out your thread and noticed the new additions :) JDM goodness

Glad you are enjoying the car with the LSD, it's a night and day difference.
I'll be at TDI North some point in the next few months to get my car mapped again with the Skunk additions so will post an update with the results

Hoping it will do well again, the new exhaust is more free flowing and coupled with a better intake setup I'm hoping there will be some nice midrange improvements :cool:

The car will be going into the bodyshop in the next couple of months too for some spray work, unfortunately one of the big rubbish bins at work blew into my car and has scratched the passenger door (thankfully my work have agreed to pay for it).
It will also be having the front end resprayed so should look nice and fresh for the summer months :)

Hopefully post some new updates soon :smt023

Happy New Year buddy!!

Thanks mate, looking forward to receiving the J's Racing bits when they arrive on the boat, hopefully its a proper boat and not a dingy haha.

That's good news mate, it will be interesting to see the remap results with the new additions added since your last map :) let me know when you are booked in and I will see if I can get the day off from work and pop up to see you, been meaning to catch up for ages!!

You should see some good midrange gains with a better flowing exhaust set-up which will be nice for the daily commute.

That's bad news about the passenger door mate :( on the positive side I'm glad to hear the company has agreed to foot the bill, having the front end resprayed will be a nice touch too, not many EP3's out there that haven't got one or two stone chips lol.

I know its a long way off mate but you should definitely do JAE this year :)

Cheers Pete, Hope you had a good one too :)

Yeah I think you will be pleased with the J's racing parts, never bought them new myself but the quality is top notch and it will be worth the wait.
I was tempted to go on the TDI north dyno day yesterday but the car was filthy and my head was a bit fragile from the night before, that exhaust drone would not have done me any favours lol

Always been interested to see what it would pull on a cold run opposed to the mapping dyno sessions, it's never done a "cold" run since I've had it.
Yeah definitely interested to see how it gets on with the new setup, the map it has now is excellent (probably the best one I have had) but there is definitely room for improvement.

I would love to get the valve springs done with some head porting too but that will have to wait a while yet, TDI keep bringing out new goodies with their ITB's & Stage 2 cams lol I'm trying to avoid looking :lol:

Yeah bit of a gutter about the door but on the plus side the wing on that side needed doing anyway so it's not the end of the world, just a pain as that door was mint opposed to the drivers side which has several marks.
My front end has been peppered mate, my stone chips have stone chips it's that bad :) it's had about a million touch ups with the pen but it's gone too far now, the bumper, bonnet and both front wings needs doing along with the door.

I agree mate :) not managed JAE the last 2 years so need to get my act together this year
I'll do my best to make it this time, everyone says it's a great event so I need to get down there. I think I read somewhere it's being held elsewhere this year or was that just a rumour?

Yeah I'll drop you a line when I get booked in at TDI north Pete, hopefully be around March/April time but I'll let you know on Facebook.
It would be good to catch up and have a look at your EP3, it's changed a hell of a lot since I saw it last

Fingers crossed mate, I have to admit the quality of the J's Racing products does look superb and I have had good reviews from Karl and now you which is always good to hear.

I did see the TDi dyno/end of year clear out day advertised on Facebook and like you was a little tempted to go, but with how busy Christmas and New Year is I decided against it in the end, I am sure I read that Loxy is going to look at arranging a proper TRO dyno day with Paul for this year which will definitely be worth going along to.

Glad to hear the car is running well, I am sure that the revised map will be even better, allowing for the changes and upgrades you have done.

I think JAE has moved this year and its will actually favour me and you in terms of travel time mate, I am definitely going to go this year after going in 2013 but missing last years, its a great weekend with top people and some stunning cars.

Definitely mate, keep me in the loop and I will try and get up there when you go for your remap :)

Yeah you can't go wrong with J's racing parts :cool: I've had a couple of braces along with my current throttle body and can't fault them at all, you pay a premium but its top notch quality

Definitely be interested in the dyno day if Loxy arranges another one, I'll have to keep a lookout for that :)
I will keep you posted about the map tweak mate and let you know well in advance :smt023

As for JAE the closer the better, i'll have to check out the location on the website but if it's closer this year then that's ideal.

Just purchased a set of DC5 wheels with tyres so they should be with me next week lol
Needed a full set of tyres as my Michelins are now down to the legal limit and whilst flicking through the for sale section noticed a lad called James selling DC5 wheels with 4 newish tyres so snapped them up

Haven't really got the space to store them but I'll work something out :)
Should be with me early next week so i'll get some pics up ASAP

Just purchased a set of DC5 wheels with tyres so they should be with me next week lol
Needed a full set of tyres as my Michelins are now down to the legal limit and whilst flicking through the for sale section noticed a lad called James selling DC5 wheels with 4 newish tyres so snapped them up

Nice mate!!

I did see these in the for sale thread and they look in great condition, they will look really good.

Are they a straight fitment onto an EP3?

Nice mate!!

I did see these in the for sale thread and they look in great condition, they will look really good.

Are they a straight fitment onto an EP3?
Yeah looking forward to getting my hands on them now mate, they look really tidy and the tyres are really good so they should do me nicely

As for the fitment they have a different offset to the EP3 wheels so I may have to buy another set of spacers to get them looking right on the car. I'm currently running 20mm on the front and 15 on the rear so I think I'll put the 15's on the front and buy a set of 10mm's for the rear. I could be wrong there though lol

Back