• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Best method for cleaning engine?

So what do I need to do? I need to give it a good clean but as I haven't cleaned an engine/engine bay before i'm not sure the best way to go about it?

Steam clean and a light degreaser but cover up your ARC box, pop round i'll help you out fella

Can of Gunk (spray kind). Cover up all electrical plugs/ends with cling film and then just spray the Gunk everywhere. Let it work for a couple of minutes, it will fizzle on the really grimy bits and then just spray away. Get some back to black on the rubber hoses and other plastic bits and it will look good as new, with very little effort. :cool:

Can of Gunk (spray kind). Cover up all electrical plugs/ends with cling film and then just spray the Gunk everywhere. Let it work for a couple of minutes, it will fizzle on the really grimy bits and then just spray away. Get some back to black on the rubber hoses and other plastic bits and it will look good as new, with very little effort. :cool:

Good shout apart from the black to black, I can't stand that stuff tbh :(
AG Vinyl & Rubber Care is a nicer product to use, but then again it's personal preference.

Good shout apart from the black to black, I can't stand that stuff tbh :(
AG Vinyl & Rubber Care is a nicer product to use, but then again it's personal preference.

I should have said generic black rubber/plastic restorer. I use the Megs gold class stuff and get decent results from it.

Do they sell this 'gunk in halfords?

Yes mate. Comes in an orange/red can with a black lid. You can also buy it in metal jerry can like containers, but I think that stuff is more of a slime/fluid than a spray.

Cheers, will give this method a go at the weekend. If it still looks crap spencer can steam clean it :lol: :cool:

lol Harv,

maybe we can trade for breitling for Industrial steam pressure washer useage ;)

You pay the derv thou :p

Don't forget before and after shots, so we can see how well you did ;) .

Autoglym Engine and machine cleaner [from halfords] is a very good product.

Cling film all contacts/battery/electrical bits up and apply all over. Rinse lightly with a hose, or as I do a trigger head spray bottle filled with water.

303 Aerospace protectant will leave all your black plastic bits with a nice satin finish instead of being shiny/slimy/greasy.:D

I have always used some de-greaser / brake cleaner (cheap stuff will be fine) followed by the jet wash, take care not to aim the jet wash at any electrics but over spray should not hurt just don’t jet wash the ecu for 2 minutes etc. Then I leather / wipe down the engine bay followed by some plastic cleaner on the plastics. Once you have it nice and clean you will find it just takes 2 minutes with a damp cloth when you wash the car to keep it nice and clean.

Now IMO results speak for a thousand words, so here is the results
DSCF0340.jpg

^^^^

Looks just as good in the flesh [metal?] Rick.:cool:
Very clean I thought at the Matlock meet.:D

very very easy to keep clean, the trick is getting it clean;). Sad to say the CTR has now gone but I know I have done the right thing

Back