• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

best pound for pound brake pad!!

Hi fellow type r owners
My CTR is due for getting new brake pads was looking for some good advice from anyones past experience of brake pads & brake lines!
I'm not sure whether to get oem genuine honda pads or invest in aftermarket items
Any help on pricings&rating for perfomance would help and be appreciated!
Have looked at ferrodo ds2500, EBC Redstuff, Cosworth streetmasters & project mu hc+
But haven't heard much about performance rating!
Thanks

Are you going to be tracking the car at all?

I have DS2500's at the front and Honda OEM at the rear. They perform great on road and track and cost around £100.
If you are going to be tracking the car I would recommend also getting upgraded brake lines and fluid.

Not that I know off but I may in future I'm just looking for best pad on market I'm kindo like that like to run best I can afford I've heard bit about the ds2500 but have heard some negatives aswell which made me shudder specially with them being one of dearest available. But you would just recommend oem pads on rear I was unsure of that aswell if it would effect performance having uprated on front an not on rear

What negatives have you heard? I haven't tried any others to be honest but did a lot of research before getting these and they constantly came up as being highly recommended. They squeal a little when cold and you need to take a bit extra care until they have some heat but nothing major. The brake dust isn't excessive either. Mine have been on almost a year including a few track days which I don't think is too bad.

From what I have read there is not much point in running upgraded pads on the rear and this set-up is used by quite a few on hondas-on-track.

I had heard that they had quite poor cold bite also the squeal that you mentioned that would drive me crackers lol! Hate noises that shouldn't be there. But is also just like you said that everyone seems to love them who owns an ep3 I was just trying to see what else is on market front that are rated for there excellence. I do honestly fancy a set of project mu's hc+ but haven't heard any feedback about them! Have you heard anything about PMu's mate?? Help is much appreciated mate!

I'm the same with regards to noises but its only occasionally at low speeds before they are warm. I don't find the cold bite an issue at all, you just need to remember they wont perform 100% as soon you drive off. There are more track oriented pads like the ds3000 which you wouldn't want to use daily.

They are great pads and I will definitely be fitting another set when needed. I haven't heard much about the project mu pads to be honest but I'm sure someone here will have tried them. Try a search as this kind of question is asked all the time and there will be a wealth of information.

Happy days the ds2500 sound great to be honest an every other type r owner says the same that they are brilliant I'm just a nitt picker lol specially when I've never used the products before all trial and error though isn't it! No problem mate I will have a look for info on project mu's with you saying oem rear pads are good standard then its only really expense for the front!
Yet again thanks for all of your help is much appreciated!! :)

Yeah. DS2500 is good. I've got it all round with OEM Discs.

I'm thinking pairing it with powerslots brake grooved discs.

Happy days sounds good I've got to admit if I could shell out I would get the big disc conversion for the front 300mm discs ho. But do your ds2500 work efficiently yeah? I'm just nit picking looking for best that I can get :)

Not a squeak now from my DS2500. I did have to fit the anti squeal shims from Honda. Only £12. Stopped then from that 'squeal'. There is a thread about that somewhere.

BY the way, never heard a squeal again.

Thanks very much mate think as a precautionary measure I will buy they anti squeel shims for the ds2500's as I'm going to buy them tomorrow! Can you get these anywhere on the net mate?

Not a bother mate. What spec have you got done to your CTR looks good in your pic mate!

Thanks, I got a 2006 55plate premier. Best colour after NHB - cosmic grey.

Haven't done as much as everyone else. I have got a Tegiwa M air intake, PRC intake manifold (to be fitted), 15/20mm Eibach springs, and a JDM LSD and OEM exedy Clutch. I also have a Kpro which I will have mapped at some point and a will finish off with a JDM anti-roll bar at the rear. Brakes have Goodridge hoses with DS2500 pads. Need an geometry re done since the LSD diff was fitted.

As it is my daily for a commute into London, I won't be doing manifold or decats. And it often is carrying my 2 young boys in the back so the noise would be unbearable for them.

Also done a bit to the sound system. Used some spacers to fit 6.5" components into the doors.

A mild tune really. More about the drive and handling.

Back