• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Big Bolt at the top of the strut

Hi,

What is this actually for? Is it just to keep the spring compressed around the damper? My top mounts have been making a squeaky rattle. I turned one of these bolts a quarter turn and the noise went. Now the driver side is doing it.

Its driving me up the frikkin wall.

I loosened this big bolt off slightly and tightened it again, waiting to see if the squeaky rattle has gone...

But, if its to keep the spring compressed around the strut, why is it even needed when they are in place and bolted to the car????

It creates a form of constant tension within the components especially when theres no weight applied from the vehicle.
Word of warning do not undo this nut when the parts are off the vehicle without using spring compressors otherwise the spring and strut will go "make it so mr. zulu" in opposite directions as the tensions realised.
Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Back