• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Bilstein suspension

Chris.

Founder
Administrator
My ATR is getting to the age and mileage where the dampers may start to have issues. Ultimately I'm looking at lowering the car however after reading a lot on the ATR forum, people who put lowering springs on Accords that are the age of mine, albeit with a little more mileage, start to get issues with the OEM dampers and they then of course need replacing. Once you've put the springs on, then have to take them off again to replace the dampers, the labour costs start to ramp up.

So I'm toying with the idea of some Bilstein dampers and springs. I'm no track fiend, and I'm not looking to "slam" the car so the decent drop means lack of adjustability is a non issue and of course I won't have to worry about the adjusters seizing up.

Granted they are a little more expensive than second hand OEM dampers but then who knows how long they'd last. I wouldn't even like to look at the new price. :shock:

http://www.regals-motorsport.co.uk/bilstein-b12-suspension-kit-honda-accord-ivv-p-18297.html

Any feedback on Bilstein at all?

Mitsi use Bilstein on the Evo 8MR > X, they are rated highly, depending on how long you plan to keep the car for would play a big part in a purchase, That is a lot of money to throw at an ATR.

I was going to do a finance quiery. :p

Seriously though, the last thing I want is to lower the car, and then within 3 months have to shell out again to get the dampers replaced. No idea about how long I'm keeping the car but I can't see me selling it within a year.

Don't do it man. It won't increase the value of the car by the equivalent price you'll have to pay for them and you'll end up selling it soon enough anyway.

Save the monies and buy an iPad without finance.

And some Parada Spec 2s.

Bilstein's are really good had some for 3 years, came fitted on a car i had off a friend, he had them for 2 years, no problems.

I agree just leave it as it is. If your shocks do start to go then consider replacing not before.

Okay, my thinking here might be a bit pessimistic but here goes.

Buy lowering springs, adjusters etc and get them fitted at TGM for £250 ish. This means a day sat around there. 3 months or whatever later, the dampers fail (not far reached if you read on the ATR forum), so, source another set of OEM dampers from a car that's being broken for say £150 ish which is what a full suspension kit seems to go for, then spend another day down at TGM getting the new shocks fitted at around £100-150 or so in labour (I am not sure how much this work would cost tbh). Total cost, including dampers which may or may not die within a few months is £500 or so, give or take.

Or negotiate a deal with Tom to get the Bilstein's fitted at sub £700 and be done with it and not have to worry.

I wouldn't bother considering the price of this comapred with the value of the accord, and the fact that you don't do any trackdays etc. seems a little ott.

I'd wait until you actually do start to get problems with theold oem stuff and deal with it then, rather than throwing money at something which at the moment is fine.

So you think perhaps the money would be better put into an OEM rebush and lowering springs and then budget for damper replacement if that eventuality occurs?

BTW, I am planning on doing 2 or 3 trackdays next year, excluding Spa and the Ring.

I wouldn't do anything at all, and deal with potential problems when they occur.

This. Keep the money spare for when things go wrong if they ever do. A pre-emptive strike in this instance is a costly just in case scenario.

If anything just fit new oem dampers and bushes to tighten the whole car up. If you still want to lower the car, go down the spring only route.

Your track time wont be hampered by an OEM setup, as you're unlikely to be on the limit of what the car can achieve as your track day experience is limited.

I have Bilstiens on my S2000.

One of the adjusters has started to seize and Tom hates it.

Okay, my thinking here might be a bit pessimistic but here goes.

Buy lowering springs, adjusters etc and get them fitted at TGM for £250 ish. This means a day sat around there. 3 months or whatever later, the dampers fail (not far reached if you read on the ATR forum), so, source another set of OEM shocks from a car that's being broken for say £150 ish which is what a full suspension kit seems to go for, then spend another day down at TGM getting the new shocks fitted at around £100-150 or so in labour (I am not sure how much this work would cost tbh). Total cost, including dampers which may or may not die within a few months is £500 or so, give or take.

Or negotiate a deal with Tom to get the Bilstein's fitted at sub £700 and be done with it and not have to worry.
get them fitted at demon tweaks buddy, half price

get them fitted at demon tweaks buddy, half price

I hate Demon Tweeks, they messed me round over a set of wheels many many moons ago.

Although, for half price, I reckon i'd swallow my pride and go there.

No thanks.

I highly doubt they could match the price TGM could do for me.

Does Tom stock Bilsteins then ??

DT will stock, supply and fit them. I would have thought their package would be financially appealing.

Let's not forget, these mods will almost be half the value of your car, so saving pennies anywhere would perhaps be my main concern.

Get some quotes, let us know.

Does Tom stock Bilsteins then ??

DT will stock, supply and fit them. I would have thought their package would be financially appealing.

Let's not forget, these mods will almost be half the value of your car, so saving pennies anywhere would perhaps be my main concern.

Get some quotes, let us know.

I would imagine he'd be able to get hold of them.

Yeah this is true.

To be honest, I'm after reducing body roll a little and the bilsteins come highly recommended on the ATR forum. Another option is to perhaps buy them myself and fit them at home over a weekend. God knows!

Back