• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

BP Ultimate > Shell Optimax > Esso Supreme

glen

Hi-Def Wizard
Just wondered if there's much difference?

No shall garage near where I am, and the local BP one doesn't do optimax. I'm therefore left with Esso

is it generally the same stuff?

From what I know, near enough all of the petrol comes from the same refiney. Though I am sure someone will correct me.

I stopped using Optimax when the price passed 93.9p, just use standard shell unleaded and can't tell any difference. 8)

Ye Olde Optimax debate. :lol:

Tried it...didn't like it....neither did my wallet. :evil:

Did I read somewhere that Optimax is being phased out?? Some new marketed fuel coming out or something? :?

May just be a rumour. :roll:

yowserctr said:
Ye Olde Optimax debate. :lol:

Tried it...didn't like it....neither did my wallet. :evil:

Did I read somewhere that Optimax is being phased out?? Some new marketed fuel coming out or something? :?

May just be a rumour. :roll:

I heard its gona be replaced with the 100Ron V-Max they sell in europe.

I use Sainsbury's super unleaded now after the stupid prices of Optimaz and BP ultimate and dont notice any difference except it is cheaper!

And every penny counts now as fuel bill is nearly £80 a week :shock: :shock: :roll:

gnat said:
I use Sainsbury's super unleaded now after the stupid prices of Optimaz and BP ultimate and dont notice any difference except it is cheaper!

And every penny counts now as fuel bill is nearly £80 a week :shock: :shock: :roll:

Mine has gone from about that to £100 per month now 8)

Don't even want to think about how much I spend on Petrol, but on week off it's about £150 ish (depends how many times the missus wants to go shopping) to about £40 for 2 weeks when I'm at work.

Always used Optimax, but just found the local Tesco is selling 99Ron for 93.9. Plus Clubcard points & 5p a litre off with £50+ shopping! 8)

It's good too :D

Welsh-Rich said:
Don't even want to think about how much I spend on Petrol, but on week off it's about £150 ish (depends how many times the missus wants to go shopping) to about £40 for 2 weeks when I'm at work.

Always used Optimax, but just found the local Tesco is selling 99Ron for 93.9. Plus Clubcard points & 5p a litre off with £50+ shopping! 8)

Thats what i like about sainsbury's - get nector points which add up - so get shopping half price! :wink:

dotty said:
gnat said:

Mine has gone from about that to £100 per month now 8)

Big drop!!

Hopefully if i get this job I have gone for mine should half too!

i always use optimax just for piece of mind. NEVA use 95RON if your some1 who's constantly in the upper RPM range (like me!) because it will cause pinking to occur. this is where the revs r so high that the compression forces inside the cylinder are just a little bit higher and causes the petrol to detonate before the spark from the plug is fired. high revvin engines should always use a higher octane fuel in any case.

CTR said:
i always use optimax just for piece of mind. NEVA use 95RON if your some1 who's constantly in the upper RPM range (like me!) because it will cause pinking to occur. this is where the revs r so high that the compression forces inside the cylinder are just a little bit higher and causes the petrol to detonate before the spark from the plug is fired. high revvin engines should always use a higher octane fuel in any case.

Don't thoroughly agree, the stock map would be fine for 95 RON and you shouldn't get any detonation occuring on a CTR.

On a DC2 it does say to run 98 RON as a minimum so Optimax it is when i can find it or SUL when i can't.

Tesco's 99RON works wonders in the DC2 though 8)

HASNIC said:
CTR said:

Don't thoroughly agree, the stock map would be fine for 95 RON and you shouldn't get any detonation occuring on a CTR.

I'm with Nick on this one. 8)

it will occur trust me on this. i work in an engine plant and have seen engines being hot tested and dyno run to high revs and they nearly always detonate at high revs when using normal RON petrol, so in some tests now super has to be used which is causing a rather large bill to accumulate. one month saw 13000 litres used, i kid u not

CTR said:
it will occur trust me on this. i work in an engine plant and have seen engines being hot tested and dyno run to high revs and they nearly always detonate at high revs when using normal RON petrol, so in some tests now super has to be used which is causing a rather large bill to accumulate. one month saw 13000 litres used, i kid u not

Do you work on honda engines?

There is a knock sensor that alters the ignition timing to counter any knock. Honda say you can use 95 RON thats good enough for me. In the higher compression K20A then yes you need a higher octane fuel but in the K20A2 its not required otherwise honda would say so.

gnat said:
Welsh-Rich said:

Thats what i like about sainsbury's - get nector points which add up - so get shopping half price! :wink:

You can use your Nectar card at BP for fuel purchases

CTR said:

What type of engines and how high in revs are you on about?

A good friend of mine is a chemical engineer for a large international oil company (no names). He runs an S2K and will only use BP Premium or Shell Optimax as he reckons that the other alternative is of sh!t quality. :wink:

Well Optimax is being withdrawn soon

we getting 100 RON V-Power :)

Well so the girl who I sort of know who works for Shell told me, she actually works in the garage (and yer she is fit) thats why I go get my petrol from there its a bloody 8 mile trip :)

Noticed a few Shell garages around my way have their Optimax pumps locked up and out of use :?

Not sure if it was anything to do with the panic buying last week, but it's bit of a struggle to find some now.

Perhaps they're not supplying it to some garages now in preperation for the change over?

Back