• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

brakes squeaking.

hello, recently got the brakes and discs replaced but getting sqeaking sounds when braking, what can be the problem??

also did you bed them in properly? if you fit new brakes and then go out driving a stamp on the pedal straight away this can cause squeeking. And as above anti-squeel backings and copper grease are a must

wel used for about 1000 miles now, and still like that. im sure they must be bedded in by now. ye i think i will us some copper grease. i dont think the anti sqeal backings were used, what are they and how do they go on?

its a couple layers that sit in the back of the pads, i lost one side of mine somehow and that side squeeks, have to keep taking it apart and cleaning and re greasing to stop it. pain in the rear but only takes 10 mins, i'm a pro at it now lol

You can see if there are anti-squeal plates fitted without even removing the wheel.

Having said that, I use plenty of copper slip on the back of all my brake pads, and fit said back plates where applicable and they still squeal now and again. Brake dust build-up seems to make it more noticeable though. Give em a good clean!

it is imperitive NOT to fit copper slip or copper grease to the hub where you set the disc on. as we all know you're supposed to clean the hub area with wire brush or what have you, but if you put copper grease behind the disc and onto the hub then it means that the surface isn't level and this can cause braking issues.

i was told this by a mechanic so i am not sure if this is correct, but it would make sense to me and i have never put copper grease on hub since.

That's not true Ross, most cars come from the factory with copper grease on the hubs.

is it. i did some reading about this last week as recently changed discs and pads and there were these epic mega manual reading geeks tossing each other off on a 7 page thread about the perils of putting copper grease on hub leading to a rift in the space time continuum. ill see if i can find link.

When you put the wheel on it'll all be squeezed out the side so the amount actually between the wheel and the hub/disc with be microscopic.

I can't see it being an issue either. The force from the wheel lug nuts would displace the copper grease to a level which wouldn't affect the seating of the disc to an extent where you would actually feel it through the pedal.

The amount of play in the two halves of the caliper and the movement of pads themselves within it would counteract any microscopic uneveness that may be caused. I would expect a high-precision braking system where everything is tight-toleranced you may see some uneveness with the disc under an optical CMM, but still I doubt this would result to any difference when actually driving the car.

Personally I can't really say there is much point putting copper grease on the hubs anyway. I've never had a problem where the discs are seized on so badly that I can't get them off. At most, A gentle tap with a hammer is all that I've ever needed.

I only ever use copper grease on two things - back of the squeal plates on the pads, and maybe on the wheel studs themselves. Now they are a bitch to get off if they seize!

Back