• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FD2 BTCC

When I bought my DC5, team halfords bought two and raced them very sucessfully in BTCC. I've checked the rules for BTCC and the FD2 complies, surely it would wipe the floor with the other cars.

J

I am guessing here, but I would imagine it has to do with time and money spent developing the FN2 already. I think they must factor a couple of seasons at least to make the cost viable and that to start all over again on new cars would not be possible. Even if all they had to do is stick a cage in and a few stickers on to win :D

I doubt it has anything to do with Honda either them being a private company... though as I said I am guessing.

When I bought my DC5, team halfords bought two and raced them very sucessfully in BTCC. I've checked the rules for BTCC and the FD2 complies, surely it would wipe the floor with the other cars.

J

Yeah but at the end of the day, the only thing the same between road car and race car is the shell, so it dont really matter what car they use, next season maybe :p

Although it could run in the BTCC, I think the rules mean any points gained couldn't be used towards the constructors championship. Its something to do with meeting s2000 regs.

I'm sure this is the reason Team Dynamics dropped the DC5 for the FN Civic. The small independents could then use the well developed DC5's but not gain constructors championship points.

EDIT: Found this on the BTCC website

"The BTCC is contested primarily by cars complying with the FIA’s Super 2000 technical regulations. S2000 is the same formula as used in the World Touring Car Championship. Teams entering S2000 cars are required to use a model of car that is readily available for purchase in a manufacturer’s showroom across Europe. The old BTC-spec cars, that populated the grid from 2001-06, are still permitted to compete, but are not eligible to win the Drivers’ and Manufacturers’ championship outright. Uniquely, the BTCC remains the only touring car championship in the world that allows cars powered by petrol, diesel, gas or bio-ethanol to compete."

Putting a 2 litre engine in a 5 door FN2 is the same as putting the 2 litre engine in a FD2 IMA, neither cars are available as road cars. The difference is the FD2 has stiffer shell, proper rear suspension, etc.

J

It's an import so doesn't comply to S2000 regs. Unles Honda started selling them in the UK they won't use it as they won't score any points in the championship. TD dropped the DC5 for this, and the fact that you also need 4 doors.

It's a 5 door civic with a 2 litre engine. The last time I checked (about 30 seconds ago) there is no road going 5 door civic with a 2 litre engine!

J

It's a 5 door civic with a 2 litre engine. The last time I checked (about 30 seconds ago) there is no road going 5 door civic with a 2 litre engine!

J

Your right theres not, but i think the rules are just about the actually car, engine and suspension etc mods are ok

1.8 5-door civic 1284kg
IMA civic 1297kg

I bet if you removed the electric motors and batteries in the IMA it would be lighter than the FN2.

J

Just found this quote from Matt Neal himself on team halford website.

"...yeah for sure we considered it (FD2). And......... if honest, really wanted to run it. It has same floor pan as the Integra, a multi link rear end, really aero dynamicly efficient, so absolutely yeah, it would have been mega.

However we also wanted to try and work with and forge a longer term relationship with Honda UK, and to do that we need to be running what they sell over here.
icon_idea.gif

New Civic (FN2) is a great little car and race version is now coming on strong!"

Ah, well, that's that then. Plus Matt has buggered off to Vauxhall now anyway.

J

I believe the regs state it's only the chassis that they have to use, as for the engine, as long as it's a Honda 2 litre then they can use it.

I think the 5-door latest shape Civic is FK-

IIRC FK2 is the 5-door one with the R18A lump, which was probably the base car for the TD BTCC entry.

Surprised Honda didn't think to promote the hybrid by running the FD bodyshell in BTCC. Might have fitted well with their green stance. Never mind, I'm sure someone else will have that idea for them next year... :lol:

I think matt's quote "forge a longer term relationship with Honda UK" means that Honda UK would sponcer them to run FN (FK?).

Team halford would rather have cash from honda and run a slower car.

Shame on them.

J

Interesting, as that absolutely wasn't their stance when they decided to run DC5s for the '05 season because they thought it would be faster - even though Honda wanted them to continue with the EP3.

Matt's in a Vectra this year anyway though - so maybe he doesn't want TD to be too quick...

Back