• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Cabin noise removal

startrack

Formerly type_r_lover
I have decided to tackle the biggest problem of the EP3 for long distance, which is the cabin noise. I love the sound of my exhaust and I cant even hear it over the constant humming of the engine's vibrations

On the EP3 we have some sound deadening, and A LOT of plastic. Plastic wobbles, and when you combine this to some Energy Suspension engine mount, you end up with a very annoying humming.
I found on my car the worst revs range was from 4500 to 5500.

Some US dudes have looked into the problem, and they say that stripping out the carpet, and putting some dynamat on the floor greatly reduces the road noise. Other people have braced their cars as much as possible to make it vibrate as one block, and this results in a "purer" sound.

I've read on some US website that the dynamat should be put on the longuest stretch of metal, to prevent them from resonating. I guess the roof is a pretty obvious one, as well as the flooring. The wall between the engine bay and the cabin is a good place to investigate too.

I don't wanna make the car much heavier, I've removed the amp+sub from the boot so I don't wanna compensate that weight loss by plastering the car with dynamat. I'm considering stripping some of the plastics, and dynamating on the key points to minimise the resonance. I'm not aiming to get a very quiet car (coz that would be boring), but just are after getting rid of that humming noise.

I'd like to hear your suggestions on the matter.
Thanks

i put a load of bracing in and ripped the whole interior out....it was so loud it did my head in drove bloody beutifully

I Dynamat-ed most of the cabin area, under the carpet, the doors, rear seats and the boot. I have also used some noise reduction underlay on the boot lid and the boot floor. It has made a difference, but I wouldn't say a massive difference. Its not difficult to do either but with the entire cabin stripped out it does make you think if you can put it all back together! :eek:

The problem is, I didn't want to dynamat the firewall area as it may cause other problems in the long run. This is apparently the most important area to sound deaden as all the engine noise and some road noise comes in from there. Also I didn't sound deaden the wheel arches which is where a lot of the road noise is coming from.

Apart from the quieter cabin, the biggest other plus is that the doors now close with a much more solid sound. Tapping the door panels make them feel like they're half inch thick!

I've put about 15-20kg of sound deadening in my car in total, sounds like a lot but the car really doesn't feel any heavier to be honest. I normally notice the difference in performance when I have an extra passenger or lugging round some heavy stuff but didn't notice any difference with the sound deadening.

I recall fiting TP's earthing kit on at around the same time so made me feel a bit better that the 2-3bhp you get from the kit (claimed) offsetted the additional weight! :lol:

I need to give a chance to the local "supercars"... if I strip it it really becomes unfair to them ;)

eDead do a paint on sound
deadening
. I'm doing
the
DC5 floor pan when I get a moment as its an easy job taking the seats and carpet out.

Done the door skins in the foil sticky type stuff.

Lee

Edead stuff is pants mate you need like 3 layers of it to match 1 layer of the dynamat stuff.

Have a look here for the various products available. I would do the doors, floor and roof to start with and then see what else you think needs doing.

I have a demo video of dynamat here

hi mate how you doing? just wondering how the PDR chap at JAE managed to work on your dents given that you have dynamat on your door panels?:confused:

I'm good thanks, you?

PDR chap managed ok, I only have one layer of dynamat on the doors, it wasn't a problem and the dent is gone :)

great vid funky, made me chuckle :lol:

I think you should strip it and get some ear plugs :)

Back