• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Cams vs manifolds

Hazz

B16
First off, money no object & I like my current exhaust note & ability to pass MOT and VOSA inspection.

Now, which is likely to put a bigger smile on my face?

A) New Cams (skunk stage 1 or TDi most likely)

B) Manifold with sports CAT, intake mani & hondata gasket

I guess, although have no evidence to base this on, that the manifolds will significantly increase the Db from the pipe... Can anybody quantify this for me? How much louder? i.e. Would I want to put a silenced B-pipe back on?

Cheers :)

I'm no expert but I'd you'd want to go mani before cams to get the best gains

That's basically what I'm asking, which will provide more power, sh1ts & giggles. I'd like cams (to keep my exhaust note) but if I'm only going to see 5hp from them then I'll go for the manifolds.

Yea, I've done manifolds on a few past cars & know the potential benefits.... I just thought, maybe the cams would be more fun?

They're also a bit more stealthy :p

I'm not just saying this because I've just done the test on the TDi cams but my exhaust got quite a bit louder after I had the Tegi manifold fitted. It's still 96.5dB on my setup though so it's by no means OTT.

The Skunk2 Stage 1s are also a bit of a misnomer. They claim to be DICs but when Paul ran them in his car they led to a damaged collet as he used standard valve springs at the time which is why I had them done. They've also very probably caused my tensioner to fail as my engine is only on 45k. Don't get me wrong I love the Skunk2s to bits. They were awesome on track, I had lots of comments on how punchy the car felt from P rides at the Ring and Spa, but for the gains if they were out at the time I'd have gone for the TDi cams.

That being said you can't beat the lump of mid range you'd get from a decat race manifold.

I guess it all boils down to if you want to keep the exhaust levels how they are now, whether you want/need to keep the cat and ultimately what figures you want to achieve.

Personally I'd say do the manifold and cams. You'll only end up doing both in the long run and you'll save yourself a mapping session in the process! ;)

Header will relase more torque.

Torque feels good.

Honda engines are famous for having no torque.

Get a header.

Option B IMO, I noticed TDI got some 400 cell cats in the other day for their bolt in cat option which allows you to use a 4-1 race header

Seems pretty conclusive + I'm liking shaenei's 4-1 inline cat idea... New b-pipe required.

Get sports CAT, then fit race header :? .

Fitting any sort of CAT means it's not a race header.

Well some people might be happy to drive illegally, having had a VOSA inspection I'd rather not take the chance. Doing it that way gives me the option to remove the cat for trackdays. I've not done a price comparison yet but I'd bet it's cheaper too.

Cat goes in-line in the B-pipe. Section bolts in and out in place of the B-pipe silencer.

Means you can run a full race header and take the cat off yourself with a few minutes work for when on track.

Seriously doing this though I'd think you'd need two maps, one for road and one for track.

Not reckon I could just run it a tad rich with the cat on? I didn't realise they chopped the silencer out... Thanks for that nuggart, that may change my plans. I don't want louder.

Amount of times you'd change your CAT and map over for a track day ?? - 0

Meh, do what you like.

I'm just pointing out that getting a race header is pointless if you're just going to move the CAT further down the system.

Hazz - Leave the CAT in for track days may as well, you won't get anymore power, just more noise.

Not reckon I could just run it a tad rich with the cat on? I didn't realise they chopped the silencer out... Thanks for that nuggart, that may change my plans. I don't want louder.

The cat will silence the exhaust when in-line. It will be louder but not loads. That's one of the reasons (plus the bore) why race manifolds are louder than stock manifolds.

Amount of times you'd change your CAT and map over for a track day ?? - 0

Meh, do what you like.

I'm just pointing out that getting a race header is pointless if you're just going to move the CAT further down the system.

True it will still be more restrictive with the cat in-line either with the race header but it makes MOTs a lot easier. It won't help at VOSA check point though if Hazz intends to run about without the cat, which I think is why he wants to run around with the cat in-line. With this set-up though it's seriously 5 minutes to swap the pipes over, two flanges with two bolts on each.

So if you have one map you either run rich with the cat in on the road and ideal for track, or ideal for road and lean with the cat out on track. Personally I wouldn't want to be caning it around with a lean map.

Back