• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Cams vs manifolds

Thought the cat was restrictive? Hence get a race header?

It is.

But you have to allow for the extra flow with a race header so you can adjust the fuelling to suit, without adjusting the fuelling you won't get the benefit of faster flowing gases and resulting power.

So basically, if you were to take the CAT out you'd have to upload a new map at the same to get any gains, other than noise.

First off, money no object & I like my current exhaust note & ability to pass MOT and VOSA inspection.

Now, which is likely to put a bigger smile on my face?

A) New Cams (skunk stage 1 or TDi most likely)

B) Manifold with sports CAT, intake mani & hondata gasket

I guess, although have no evidence to base this on, that the manifolds will significantly increase the Db from the pipe... Can anybody quantify this for me? How much louder? i.e. Would I want to put a silenced B-pipe back on?

Cheers :)

both?

Trouble is, if I do everyhing at once in 12 months time I'll be itching to do something again... And it'll be getting hardcore after cams & mani. It's still my daily, and it's staying stealthy. I only really said money no object so that I didn't get the obvious Mani cheaper than cams answer, I'm not rolling in it unfortunately.

Just do the defacto stage one mods, ie intake, catback, header and inlet manifold. 240bhpplus.

CBA with the noise they make though, EVERYONE does that. Keeping stock backbox for definate, absolutely no way I'd change that. Already have an unsilenced B-pipe, so no CAT back on the cards. I'm aprehensive about the exhaust manifold due to the noise and CAT issues. I don't really want to chance it and then find it's too loud, then I'll have spent a load of money to ruin my car. Intake mani is a lot of money for not a lot of power. So, I've weighed up the options and I've decided manifolds are not for me.

Thanks for the input people, except one of you, you know who you are.

Thanks for the input people, except one of you, you know who you are.

Lol.

Back to the topic, I will stick up with manifold first to gain the most of the exhaust then after that if you really want more power get the cams.

If it is a daily driver, I will just stick on stage one mods. IMO

I know a lot of people do it, I've been out in 3 different EP3s with aftermarket manifolds and to me they were all too loud for a daily driver. I do 60 miles a day at least and I've been there, done that and bought the T-shirt when it comes to modifying cars, my mini was far too loud and it too away from my enjoyment of the car. I've learnt my lesson.

I've considered the options, now that I know I can't have a B-pipe silencer as well as a in-line cat, I'm not going to bother with exhaust manifolds. I'm going to ignore everyone and get cams anyway. If anything, it'll be a good comparison for those who want to know.

My thinking is, either everyone does manifolds first because it's proven to be the best way to go OR.... they just read and re-gurgatate the same old same old posts and sheep will be sheep. No one has offered any indication of what cams might make bhp & lbft wise on stock manifolds so I'll be the guinea pig :)

Exactly, I'm not going to give people shiz for their car mod choices, it's all personal preference.

My TODA race header was very quiet matted with my Fujitsubo RM01A, you couldn't hear it over the Gruppe 'M and it made massive power.

Problem is you have a UN-silenced B pipe, which sounds like death, so you think that everything you do will be louder than that.

Change your B pipe to something with a silencer and you can run all manor of systems and still be able to chat on the motorway.

One of the loudest things I've ever heard was Harv's OEM DC5 with Spoon N1 and unsilenced B pipe. It sounded crap.

Exactly, I'm not going to give people shiz for their car mod choices, it's all personal preference.

But you asked for people opinions and you got them :? .

Albeit in a rather direct way.

^this is true.

However, I don't know of anyone with an inline cat inplace of the B-pipe silencer for me to go out and hear the car... So I'm not going to take the risk buying a manifold, a B-pipe and an inline cat, only to find out it's too loud. That would be major fail.

^this is true.

However, I don't know of anyone with an inline cat inplace of the B-pipe silencer for me to go out and hear the car... So I'm not going to take the risk buying a manifold, a B-pipe and an inline cat, only to find out it's too loud. That would be major fail.

I promise you now, anthing with the OEM back box and a silencer in the B pipe will be quiet.

I ran a DC5 4-2, Spoon Decat and Spoon B pipe with a OEM back box and it sounded sweeeeeeeeeet.

OEM but with a serious rasp at about 5K, just didn't make the power though due to the DC5 4-2 (216bhp IIRC).

Ripped it off and put a TODA on there and bang, 240bhp 180ft/lb torque.

But you asked for people opinions and you got them :? .

Albeit in a rather direct way.

No one appeared to have experiance of cams on stock manifolds, whilst I got some useful info I didn't actually get the answer I was looking for.

Ie. skunk stg1 cams +8hp + 10lbft and mani +4bhp + 20lbft for example. Obviously ballpark stuff, I wasn't expecting exact as that would be unrealistic.

Back