• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 Changing the head unit

Hi all,

I am thinking abou the head unit in my car to something that supports Apple Car play. I would like a sat nav that can update with traffic info and re-route accordingly.

The factory unit displays economy on the info app. Do you think it would be possible to integrate this into an aftermarket head unit?

Anyone tried doing this yet and does it cause any issues?

With the way all of the car info is wired into the factory head unit I think it'll be more trouble than it's worth. Just get a decent phone holder and use the phone itself as a sat nav unit, connect via Bluetooth if you want the sounds through the speaker. FWIW I do a fair few miles in my Focus and Google maps is much more accurate and faster to update with traffic and diversions than Apple maps is.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Just like to have the unit in the dash. Not a fan of cables and phone holders. Wondered if anyone had attempted an aftermarket unit.

Hi guys;

To pick up this thread, As per my "Newbie" entry, my car is a brand new arrival from Japan (R-00663). It appears it was exported from England with no audio fitted (?) as I would assume the Japanese would fit their own headunits with a Japanese language as its baseline. Therefore its subsequent (re)exportation to NZ saw no head unit fitted but all cabling bundled and protected in the dash ready for a plug-play fitment.

I have today just had the following fitted (http://www.kenwood.com/nz/car/visual_navigation/dnx9170dabs/) with all the bells and whistles working (incl steering wheel controls). Running through the stock speakers (for now). Cost NZ$1600 (approx. GBP850).

Last edited by a moderator:
The unit in my fk2 updates with traffic and re routes ? In fact it did it for me twice today once this morning due to an accident on the a34 northbound and once on the way home. Mines a april 17 car ?

Hi guys;

To pick up this thread, As per my "Newbie" entry, my car is a brand new arrival from Japan. It appears it was exported from England with no audio fitted (?) as I would assume the Japanese would fit their own headunits with a Japanese language as its baseline. Therefore its subsequent (re)exportation to NZ saw no head unit fitted but all cabling bundled and protected in the dash ready for a plug-play fitment.

I have today just had the following fitted (http://www.kenwood.com/nz/car/visual_navigation/dnx9170dabs/) with all the bells and whistles working (incl steering wheel controls). Running through the stock speakers (for now). Cost NZ$1600 (approx. GBP850).

Out of interest does the reversing camera set up still function,

Out of interest does the reversing camera set up still function,

Hi Dweezle - not yet (!). Turns out they can use the same cabling but will splice in a new camera (!??). Went over my head but they will get it working on the same circuit and mounting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Head unit as fitted.

System in place with fascia added. Good sound through stock speakers plenty of options to manipulate the sound fields you want. As stated - camera hookup pending.

IMG_5917.JPG

Hi Wattpilot....
Impressed how you can hook up aftermarket HU into the FK2.
Do you lose the steering functions? as i am not sure how to retain the functions.

Back