• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 Cheaking the oil

Okay a question for you guys that know a hell of a lot more about cars than me especially the FK2.

I have always been fairly good about checking oil in my car's but when I got my new ctr the dealers scared the crap out of me about checking the oil. Even to the point because I was going to do around 500 miles that weekend I brought some oil to take with me.

I've still only done1.3K as my car is not my daily (stuck driving a van) as far as I can tell still hasn't used a drop of oil. Do they normally use a lot of oil or was the dealers being overcautious and wound me up for no reason?

Previous NA K20s used to use oil, and some could use a lot of it.

Up to 1l every 800 miles was seen as acceptable. It was 1l from the top notch on the dipstick to the bottom notch and if you let it run under the bottom notch you were asking for trouble with the engine.

I've done almost 6.5k in my FK2 so far and it's not used a drop. So it seems the new engines are much less thirsty on oil but rightly so the dealers are still advising people to be cautious.

Don't ask me for oil advice :lol:
They don't drink oil as said above but if your a double or triple dipper on a wkly basis then you must be using oil as you're wiping it off each time, It's not enough to get dangerously low but you may find yourself giving it a trickle every now and then

Don't ask me for oil advice :lol:
They don't drink oil as said above but if your a double or triple dipper on a wkly basis then you must be using oil as you're wiping it off each time, It's not enough to get dangerously low but you may find yourself giving it a trickle every now and then

Just logged on and read this, did make me chuckle :lol: :lol::lol:.

Just logged on and read this, did make me chuckle :lol: :lol::lol:.

The morning of my post I had an arse clenching moment, I really struggled to read the oil on these cars at the start so I purchased a spare dipstick & heat shrank the end black, worked brilliantly for mths but the ******* thing decided to fall off down my dipstick tube costing me £140 for an oil & filter change :(

Did it come out? Or dont you know

They didn't say, I got there literally at closing, everything locked up all the staff with jackets waiting, it was pay, receipt & we all went out together.
I trust them enough, they went out of their way & got everything from Honda that day & got me in, I've been using them for yrs.
It was only around 4 or 5mm x half inch (soft rubber) it would of gone straight down to the sump & with a screen in there it can't get sucked up if it did the filter would of stopped it.
Still annoys me I let it happen, could of been a lot worse, lesson learnt :)

Better idea might be to take a metalworking file across the bottom of the dipstick, at 45 degree angle to give it a cross-hatch effect. Might make oil cling to it a bit better. Did this on my EP3.

Tbh I'm not having trouble reading it now the oil had some colour it's quite easy to see on the Orange

The morning of my post I had an arse clenching moment, I really struggled to read the oil on these cars at the start so I purchased a spare dipstick & heat shrank the end black, worked brilliantly for mths but the ******* thing decided to fall off down my dipstick tube costing me £140 for an oil & filter change :(
Dweezle, tbh after owning a lot of different cars, a hell of a lot of them were a bit of a ball ache to read the oil level, you're not alone my friend!!. A little trick I always find works for me is, as soon as you pull the dipstick, get it horizontal as quick as and roll it within your fingers. May work for people????, or just may habitually be the way i do it. Good luck fella.

Dweezle, tbh after owning a lot of different cars, a hell of a lot of them were a bit of a ball ache to read the oil level, you're not alone my friend!!. A little trick I always find works for me is, as soon as you pull the dipstick, get it horizontal as quick as and roll it within your fingers. May work for people????, or just may habitually be the way i do it. Good luck fella.

I'm alright with it now, it just took me sometime getting use to reading an orange tip with new hot thin oil, the only reason I used it again was probably habit & because I got work early & thought I'd waste time doing car stuff.
I'm that one OCD worrier that every forum has :) I honestly do annoy myself

Checked again today pre-track day. Still on Max, not used a drop.

Same for me I know I don't do anywhere close to the mileage you do or haven't had it as long, and I'm still trying to pluck up the courage to even consider doing a track day with my pride and joy. I'm beginning to think me buying the litre of oil when I picked up the car was a complete and utter waste of time.

Don't bother with Wkly checks anymore, a tank of fuel lasts 2wks so I'm lucky if I do an oil check once a mth.
I always drive with the pressures up on the dash so if they're around the same then I know everything is alright, still puzzles me how they've nailed oil usage on such thin oil, & I'm the same I've now got 2ltrs sat doing nothing

Back