• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 Check your tyres properly on full lock

Went to get my tyres checked yesterday after 5000 miles as they were looking a little worn but still legal across the width of the tyre.

I thought I might have a hundred miles left in them but when checked on full lock they were very bald and down to the tyre threads. No rubber left at all on the very inside edge of the front two tyres.

Just a quick warning as I check my tyres regularly but clearly I don't pay enough attention to the inside edge.

Went to get my tyres checked yesterday after 5000 miles as they were looking a little worn but still legal across the width of the tyre.

I thought I might have a hundred miles left in them but when checked on full lock they were very bald and down to the tyre threads. No rubber left at all on the very inside edge of the front two tyres.

Just a quick warning as I check my tyres regularly but clearly I don't pay enough attention to the inside edge.

You may rotate the tyres. I did at 8000 miles

My first FK8 I found the alignment out by 1 degree at the front causing the inside shoulders to wear quicker than the rest of the tyre.

I can't manage to find the original post (I find searching back here on TRO forums really tough- any top tips ?) but in that previous post I did managed to get and include the OEM FK8 alignment settings.

It’s fairly normal these days for cars to eat inner edges. Happens across many brands and it’s due to how the suspension is designed. Excellent handling will always compromise tyre wear.
How quickly or severe it happens depends a lot on driving styles and driving conditions.

This is what lead me to give mine a good look, left it on full lock by accident really and saw it was nearly down to the marker.

Said on the other thread prices range from £155 kwik fit guaranteed tears, or £240 dream automotive.

Tax coming soon as well :lol:

Had a mobile tyre fitter do mine at work with no issues whatsoever, all four balanced and fitted whilst I carried on working, frees up your days off as well

Had a mobile tyre fitter do mine at work with no issues whatsoever, all four balanced and fitted whilst I carried on working, frees up your days off as well

you must be good at holding your breath, I mean really good - or did you know the tyre fitter well / used him before?

I got a REALLY good deal from the dealer on the first fk8 to change a tyre fitted and balanced for £200 all-in, not sure I'll get that again tbh. but I'd say it's potentially worth paying dealer price premium if they get within £10 a corner to prices elsewhere.

First time using them, found they had excellent reviews so gave them a go,
They have a small workshop as well but offer free mobile fitting, the vans are properly kitted out.

I find that small companies are more caring than the big firms as they have more to lose, alloy damage never even crossed my mind to be honest which was surprising, he even swapped my new alloy over and fitted a decent old tyre to my scuffed alloy as a spare

nice one - sounds like this guy is a keeper and one to ask for specifically by name in the future. Where is he based just out of interest and part of the country is he willing to travel too :) I suppose Essex will be a bit too far ;) but I do visit Reading often when I have to redock with the mothership near the M4, J11.

so replacement like for like Conti's are an absolute ache of testicle.....hardly anyone has them, 10 day lead time and cheapest I have found is Dream at £240 a corner........

I want the one with the lip as opposed to the £155 Kwik Fit non lip.....dam that's an expensive slither of rubber...!!

My FK2 just failed it's first MOT on this, inside front was completely worn down to thread the other wasn't as bad but heading that way.

The thing is I had my service at Honda a few weeks back and their health check passed everything, the service manager himself said MOT wouldn't be an issue as the brakes and tyres still have a few thousand left in them.

Annoyed the hell out of me, wanted the first MOT as a pass

Just get PS4 instead.

Already got Xbox...

Sorry:D.... I'd have to replace all 4 though when still plenty of tread on the rears...

Dweezle that's a sh1tter.....I have noticed as the earlier posts have said wear on the inner is much higher. So that Honda dealer doesn't know his apples then. Did you get conti's again?

No, I'm running the Goodyear assy 3's got about 16k out of them.
I wanted to swap to ps4's but as the car is now deemed dangerous to drive under new MOT laws I had to get the assy 3s as they could get 2 delivered by dinner time

16k?!?!
WHAT THE ACTUAL ****!!!!

How is that even possible? I mean HOW?
I got 8k out of my front F1 Assy 3's and i was real real gentle with them. Just up and down the motorway's each day. 16k! Blimey.

Also, they were also absolute crap and i was ecstatic when they died.

Still got about 4mm across the face as well,

You must of got some duds as I know of 2 other owners running the same and one of them has past my mileage by quite a bit, I don't mind sticking with them as they've been an excellent all round tyre for me on my commute

Yeah PS4’s are good on the fk2. Though not as pointy as the conti6 , which wear a lot quicker. Depends on your needs really.

16k .. you need to try and drive it properly dweeeezul

Back