• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Choosing an EP3

Hello people,

I am looking to get an EP3 as a replacement for my current car. I have been looking at the current EP3's for sale and cannot decide what is the best one for me (my budget is around £5500). I joined the forum to see what people think of the various specs pre-facelift, facelift, premium etc. and hopefully after I have purchased a car get tips on ownership.

Anyway, I can't decide what would be the best spec to buy. So:
Pre-facelift vs facelift? A lower mileage pre-facelift vs a higher mileage facelift
Standard vs premium? Is the premium edition worth the extra money than the standard version?

Also what is a sensible mileage for a EP3, I've heard generally they are very reliable, but do they start to develop problems over 100k miles for example?

I'm looking forward to hearing your opinions

Doug

The premium will hold its value better.

Dont worry too much about mileage. but for you a budget of £5500 you should see a really nice example with not too many miles on it.
But most importantly a fully documented service history being VITAL.
over 100K is no problem should have had new clutch in that time and would recommend new chain and tensioner at 100k+

For 5500 I personally wouldn't take anything over 80k and as said must have extensive history

My mate is still looking for a good example his budget is lower around £4k and it seems ones with around 80k on the clocks are going for that price.

With your budget you should get a good prem edition with decent mileage probably around 60k the way the market is.

As said service history is vital, plenty of receipts to back it up too I would say as they are old cars now so I would look for receipts for brake/suspension components etc.

I would go for a prem edition, they came with little desirable extras over a 'normal' version. As for a JDM model, I think they maybe out of your price range TBH but haven't been searching for a JDM. If you can go JDM in your budget I would snap it up.

There is a sticky you can look at on here to help you spot/look out for things when buying.

Thanks the replies and advice. I'm glad to have some sort of idea what the best spec car would be.

Now just to find and get one...

£5500 is knocking on FN2 money, that may be worth looking into.

I was looking for a premier for similar money last few months, ideally want the Anniversary pre facelift but these are rare as rocking horse...

There is only in NI which looks mint but no service history at all, real bummer because the car looks in very good condition externally... mechanically might be a different story!

I recently picked up a 30th anniversary edition ep3, mine had 59k on the clock with only one owner, I paid 4700 with a 12 month mot, I probably paid a little over the odds but I couldn't really find another with that sort of mileage or only one owner. Fantastic car, but if you are not bothered about the tinted windows or jdm recaros its probably not worth paying the premium.

I think longer term that's a great investment. Suppose it depends what you're looking for, presumably if you want an anniversary your thinking long term investment, particularly with that mileage and 1 owners, that's a bargain in my eyes! Good pick up

I'm also looking at getting an EP3 next once i sell my MPS. My budgets around £5000 to £5500. I'm looking at standard Premier Editions, hopefully with air con and front fogs but I can't find anything low mileage for that price range. Most £5000 cars are between 80k and 100k.

The JDM EP3s seem to be going for £6500 upwards. There was a 2002 JDM up for sale in Montrose, Scotland for £4700 but I checked the MOT history and it didn't seem in good condition, it didn't look good in the photos.

It seems the most important thing to look out for is the service history, even better if its a full Honda service history.

Back