• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Cleaning murky headlights

Hi guys, im picking up my first DC2 in the weekend and plan on giving it a serious detail. :D

Currently the headlights have discoloured a fair bit and I was wondering if there is a guide or anything available to get them back nice and clear?

Thanks,
Chris

wet sand with a fine grit then compound polish with a machine polisher. have a look on detailing world.

Thanks. Is it generally the outside that is stained or the inside of the glass as well? In which case do you need to take the units apart?

outside i wouldnt take them apart there never the same after the seals broke with moisture getting in, I'd just give them a good rub down they should come out brand new after.

Meguiars used to do some stuff called plasticX. It was awesome.

dunno if you can still get it.

x

I have done similar on my indicators, but the principle is the same. I removed them, rubbed them with some 1500 grit and some soapy water, then again with 2500, then I used some Farecla G3 paste compound, finishing up with some Meguiars Scratch X (though plastX probably is more suited). I did it all by hand and didn't take me more than 45 minutes to do both lights.

Here are the results.

crx_indicators1.jpg

crx_indicators2.jpg

crx_indicators3.jpg

crx_indicators4.jpg

It may sound obvious but if you are doing them in situ, make sure you open the bonnet and tape up the bumper and wings to avoid sanding bits you don't want to. ;)

Just bear in mind that polycarbonate headlight lenses are painted with a clearcoat to protect them from scratches and UV light, so if sand through that then they'll take even more work to maintain them.

so can you sand them down without going through the clearcoat? only one of my dc2 headlights is starting to go cloudy and its pretty annoying tbh but im too chicken to sand it!

Just bear in mind that polycarbonate headlight lenses are painted with a clearcoat to protect them from scratches and UV light, so if sand through that then they'll take even more work to maintain them.

One of mine looks a mess where parts of this clear coat has worn off and left patches. Is sanding the best way to remove it all? As im thinking of getting it all removed and resprayed with clearcoat if thats possible?

That looks amazing! Good work

I have done similar on my indicators, but the principle is the same. I removed them, rubbed them with some 1500 grit and some soapy water, then again with 2500, then I used some Farecla G3 paste compound, finishing up with some Meguiars Scratch X (though plastX probably is more suited). I did it all by hand and didn't take me more than 45 minutes to do both lights.

Here are the results.

crx_indicators1.jpg

crx_indicators2.jpg

crx_indicators3.jpg

crx_indicators4.jpg

It may sound obvious but if you are doing them in situ, make sure you open the bonnet and tape up the bumper and wings to avoid sanding bits you don't want to. ;)

I did my friends Scooby headlights as they had gone cloudy. I used a polishing pad drill attatchment and some Meguiars Plast X.

Before:

35bf4d92.jpg

After:

7b7b08f1.jpg

That's a good result; it would be good to see the 'after' pic of the side that the 'before' pic was posted of i.e the murky one :)

:lol: I knew someone would point that out, they were both the same in terms of how cloudy they were. You can use the same technique to do things like wind deflectors as well. I did mine earlyier in the year as they were cloudy.

Before:
IMG_1584.jpg

After:
IMG_1585.jpg

I decided to go with the 3M Headlight Restoration Kit £20 and free delivery direct off their website. Kit has everything you need apart from the drill and spray bottle. The video made it seem easy and it was.

OK, you may lose whatever clear coat was applied but was it working? For the time it took and the cost I would be happy to repeat this every time they start looking tatty.

Before:
IMAG0221.jpg

After:
IMAG0225.jpg

Nice results - I've seen people on YouTube use toothpaste - they say to use a 'gritty' / 'crystalised' type - not sure which one that is though...?

You can use Meguiars Plast X or Ultimate compound by hand or with a D/A Polisher would work just as well. Nice job on the headlights :)

Back