• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

cleaning stainless steel?

ok so the exhaust i bought is pretty dirty and needs a good clean, what should i use or what is the easiest to bring stainless back up to a nice shine? Autosol?

Autosol and elbow grease. For any really stubborn surface corrosion/stains a brass brush attatchment on a dremel works well, but you have to be very gentle and carefull not to score the mirror finish.

Wire wool does slightly score it yes, but it's an exhaust. It'll be dirty in 10 minutes of driving anyway.

I've always wire wooled mine, it takes 20 seconds and looks just as good as polishing unless you get really really close.... And frankly if I was trying asphixiate myself, I wouldn't be too bothered what my exhaust looked like :lol:

Really? Seriously not required. The word 'score' makes it sound worse than it really is.

I did mine last weekend. I'll get a pic at lunch to prove to you it's really not worth bothering with.

Case in point, I wire wooled this on saturday and it's caked in sh1t already. Polishing an exhaust, unless it's for display on a shelf, is a waste of time & money.

Anyway, I can't see any scoring :)

B3C6A263-4A0F-44A4-973E-787C6BD70760-19808-000021DD03A67AD5_zps96eb9b79.jpg

if its real stubborn rust like i have had on my piper this week, then Autosol on a dremmel with a buffing head on it. It should only be surface so using a wire brush type head is silly as you would only use that when you are looking to expose new metal.

It may take a time but i can tell you my piper was pretty bad and now looks like brand new with a bit of work. you'll never get it liek that with cleaning by hand, well not quickly anyway.

disgusting that they use such cheap "stainless " steel now especially on tailpipes that are the visible element.

i bought the exhaust off a FB page 'EP3 Kings Uk' and in the pictures they had up it looks stinking!lol Its going to be a lonnnnnngggg night! If it arrives today that is! :)

If it's that bad, coat the outside of it in foamy oven cleaner. Scrub, and it will come up spanking. Then use the Autosol to buff.

Well got the hks all cleaned up tonight, oven cleaner worked great, took some fine wet and dry to it to get te stubborn marks, autosol on a rotary polisher afterwards and its mirror finish! Chuffed! :)

Back