• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Clunking after i changed my front struts.

I got my front struts changed and passenger side is clunking constantly.

I had it in the garage the other day and they couldn't find a thing wrong with it, they said the strut was damping so wasn't that and everything else was solid and there was no play at all. its just had ball joints and drop links done.

Does it sound like the top mount? they never mentioned it but I have to go back in when they had the 4 poster ramp free or something. Its sachs struts with oem top mounts don't know if this makes a difference.

Any ideas ?

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably top mount? Could be a lot of things though.

Mine was the same, but only the driver side, checked everything, they were OK so decided to change the top mounts, surprisingly the noise went.

Probably top mount? Could be a lot of things though.

Mine was the same, but only the driver side, checked everything, they were OK so decided to change the top mounts, surprisingly the noise went.
Cheers, I know it could be a number of things but everything else has been checked that I know of.

Its annoying me now lol

When I replaced the full standard suspension, I had this problem on the front end but with both struts, it was due to the spacer not being correctly fitted this sits ontop of the strut, hope this helps.

Small update.... Need two top mounts so got it booked in for next thursday and needs a rear drop link.

I don't think so well the clunking that they are making didn't start till after i changed the struts.

the top mounts can clunk from not being tightened up enough, when i was talking to Tom from TGM Motorsport he told me that there have been loads of occasions where that was the only problem.

I tried to get the bolts off to put my strut brace back on and couldn't get the bolts off the ratchet was about to break thats how tight they were lol.

sh*t sorry meant the top nut of the strut, my mistake. mine felt tight to me but Tom tightened it up more using the air wrench and the clunking was gone!

Just thought I would give an update for anyone with similar problem.

I my top mounts were needing changed aswell but the clunking was the front wishbone bush once it got worse it was all over the place when driving but got it fixed now it was around £12 for each wishbone bush from Honda.

Was £50 to get the two front bushes done by a mate, Honda were charging £200 and another garage that missed the problem were quoting £140 but since they didn't notice the torn bush not going near them and they also missed an oil seal leak while changing the clutch or they caused it so either way I wasn't confident in them anyway all fixed now.

cheers for the help everyone.

Another update on this.

Got it all sorted but front shock has started knocking again after the 3rd shock in 2 month play in it and leaking is this just a bad batch or can there be something on my car like spring causing this?

On plus side eurocarparts have agreed to refund me on the other 2 shocks and pay for 1 hours labour for each.

Any ideas anyone?

Back