• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Clutch Biting Point Very Low!

Hi all, I know this has probably been covered already but Ican't seem to find the answer. My clutch biting point seems to have got lower and lower to the point it is less than 1/3rd from the bottom "excluding the first part of travel which is just spring tension on the pedal". It does not slip, when cold sometimes hard ish to get into gears but only when moving, fast driving/gear changes don't always change smoothly. Am I correct in thinking that it is the thrust plate springs collapsed slightly? If that is the case do I need to get it sorted asap? I have not driven the car hard and never slipped the clutch etc so I'm sure it's not the clutch plate? I don't think it's the thrust race as there is no bad sounds coming from the engine bay either clutch depressed or not. Any help would be very much appreciated. O and the car is 2004, I have had it from 3 months old "x demo with 745 miles on the clock" and done 55k miles and any idea of cost? Cheers.:(

New clutch. They don't slip in ep3's and mines the same mate. Get a clutch kit and get it fitted. Problem will be solved :)

Thanks for your responce, I have just found on the internet that you can adjust the clutch via where the pedel conects to the push rod so to speak. I'm not to sure this is the answer as it might make the slave cylinder move more than it should???? Also I have just called my local garage "non Honda so I don't have to sell my house", and they have said it might just need bleeding and they would be happy to have a look for nothing tomorrow morning which is very good of them. "Riverview Garage in Gravesend". While I'm there I might get them to change the gearbox oil also :eek:

Hi,

I have just had the exact same problem with my 2005 cosmic EP3, all the problems you have and it was the pressure plate that had failed at 90,000miles, clutch still had in excess of 10,000 mile left on it and it never slipped but bearing was goosed as well, very noisy.

I had mine fitted on tuesday and it cost me £400, Car is loads different to drive now and the gearbox has become smooth as silk, you cant believe a clutch can make so much difference.

Good luck for tomorrow.

Regards
Baz

Also had this problem on mine, I adjusted it and is better and had no problem since but think it starting to get a bit lower again as I it's been a good 7-8 months scince I did it I'm probably going to do the same again and see if I'm happy with it. Saves you buying a new clutch kit for the meantime!

If it's the bearing that has gone I can understand why the biting point would be low but I'm unclear while if the springs have relaxed how that can change the position of the pedel. Weak springs = slipping clutch.:confused:
£400 this time of year....O dear...lol. Cheers I will post what they say tomorrow.

I think I might just try that tomorrow and see what happens. I will run it past the garage chap tomorrow and see what he says about it with possible problems of doing so. Thanks for the reply...cheers

I have been to my local garage and they say it is my clutch springs that have relaxed so I might as well replace the lot. Not good news, but at least its getting fixed this coming Tuesday!

To be honest I'm not impressed with Honda, I had an old Capri years ago with more miles on the clock and that was ok....think I will change to a golf R once funds permit.

I have been to my local garage and they say it is my clutch springs that have relaxed so I might as well replace the lot. Not good news, but at least its getting fixed this coming Tuesday!

To be honest I'm not impressed with Honda, I had an old Capri years ago with more miles on the clock and that was ok....think I will change to a golf R once funds permit.

If you'd of bought the car from new I could understand that statement. However you don't know how it's previously been driven, other than with it being ex-demo probably hard from cold.

55k on a 200bhp hatch isn't bad at all, some have done more, some have done less.

Good luck with the R and its depreciation if you were hoping for cheap motoring. ;)

The car was as good as new when I got it as I know the people that own and run my local Honda garage. It had only done 745 miles and it had never been let out with out a Honda rep in the car. When I agreed to have the car it was only 1 month old and from that time they didn't let anyone else drive the car as I had put a deposit on it. I think it had only 4 or 5 people drive it. Even if it had be driven hard in those first 745 miles this would cause the clutch to slip, due to extra wear, and not the fault I have as the fingers/springs on the plate have relaxed. This is a very poor manufacture of components in my view and not consistent with your comment... and as for the 200hp and 55k miles....well I don't think thats very good. 200hp is not that much, if Lambo can make 700hp engines and clutchs to take the power then Honda are cutting corners. It has been cheap motoring for me as this is the first time I have had to spend any money on it in over 8 years :lol:

Thanks for taking the time to post your comment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear it needs changing, interesting to hear it had the same problem as mine, maybe there was a manufacturing problem back then, I would not fall out of love with my car for just a clutch change, not many cars have given me this much fun and I have owned a few "Fast" cars in my time.

Hope it all goes well on tuesday.

Regards
Baz

Hi Baz, thanks for your kind words. I still like my car as when I got home I spent 3 hours cleaning and waxing it! lol. I just expect a bit more from Honda to be honest, if it had done 100k I might expect to change it but 55k????? and I know all the history of the car. But having said that this is the first time I have had to spend out on it, works out £25 a year..or 50p a week lol.

Have a good weekend:D

You can cause a lot of wear in 745 miles, and 4 or 5 people driving it with the dealer in the car? 150 mile test drives? Really? :lol:

Bygones.

55k and needing a replacement clutch isn't bad. CTR clutches don't tend to slip when they are going because they don't tend to have the torque to worry the clutch plates.

You've said it's the springs in the have gone, that's more to do with how you release the pedal and more likely how often the clutch has been used. If the car has spent all its life on a daily commute doing an average of 10mph, stopping and starting, it will have just as much wear as one that's been down a drag strip a few times.

Finally, how long do you think a clutch lasts on a Lambo? That sort of car isn't a daily, and I'd put money on you having to replace the clutch on the Lambo well before 55k if you tried to use it as one, and it would be a damn sight more than £400 to replace it. :lol:

I'm not trying to be argumentative, as you've said it's cost you next to nothing in repairs so far. Just putting some perspective on it.

I don't agree with your first comment about the history of the car, test drives were only short drives say 30 mins and no one just took the car out for a day. This in my opinion has nothing to do with the clutch problem I have, even if it was slipping I'm sure/know the fact it was a demo would have nothing to do with it. Do you think a sales rep is going to sit in a Type R while someone is thrashing the poo out of it? I think not!

Yes I can see your point about the Lambo, but my point is that a stronger clutch can be made and yes at an extra cost, I'm sure Lambo made tractors to start with and came about building supercars as the big F's couldn't get there clutchs right. Honda needed to put £100 or so on the car and get this right. Honda have a history of this kind of thing i.e. the Civic that came out after the ep3 was rubbish to start with and is still not as good as the ep3 imho. My dad has one and it had a list of faults as long as your arm. They have got it right now after the customer had done all the complaining and R&D work. My dad was in contact with Swindon where it was made and they basically said they had rushed the car out to get it on the road asap. They as good as admitted it was about a year to early. Anyway thats another story.

The long and the short of it your welcome to your view and I enjoy reading them as this is what this forum is all about, I have had some good advice on here and hope to help others if I can.

Now I'm off to order that Lambo clutch for fitting on Tuesday:lol:

Clutch needs changing. No big deal and a £350-400 fitted bill. Mine was changed at 60k, some last longer some last shorter.

It all depend on how it has been driven. I dare say that an ex demo car has been 'vtec'd' more often than not.

When I bought my first EP3 the sales man actually encouraged my 8000rpm gear changes. At the end of the day that is how the car has been designed to be driven.

Clutches used to be around £1k to change at Honda. Now an independent will do it for sub £500.

Pound per performance you won't find a cheaper car to run than an EP3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just seen this I think the release bearing is going on mine, it's a kind of rattly noise when your off the clutch but when you dip the clutch the noise goes away (you can't notice when driving just when stationary). Mine's now done 58k it's done it since I bought it on just under 55k, I agree with what has been said by the likes of the above. Would this be the release bearing and worth changing the clutch? If so what's the best to go for OEM or other?

I think your right it sounds as if it's your release bearing. I have let my local garage chose the clutch type as they have fitted many in the past and only use oem spec stuff.

Thanking you it's not bad at the moment I'll get Christmas out of the way first then get it sorted.

Both times I've bought Civics from a dealer they drove me round to the petrol station, put £15 in, handed me the keys, said, "see you in half an hour," and they walked back.

I must have an innocent face. :p

These cars are getting on a bit now, so things are bound to start creeping in.

Anyway, hope all is well with the changes. :smt023

Ok, had clutch fitted on Tuesday so picked car up after work. WOW.....it's like a new car. Gear change is better but I am always cateful how I change gear but the best improvement is how light the clutch has become. Nice slick easy gear changes all the way. I had a look at the old clutch and it still had loads left on it just the spring had weakend with age/use. Still not impressed with Honda and I also don't agree with what others say about it's got 200hp and it wont last forever. I friend of mine a Impreza, 320hp, loads of torque and four wheel drive, he has had no problems with his clutch. I think some get fixated by there cars and will here of no bad mouthing about them. Be honest with yourself...its a great car but it has it's faults.

Back