• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Cnut bags!

Decided to give my wheels a really good clean today. Jacked up the front of the car using my jack from the DC5 on one side and my sisters jack from her pug on the other side. Finished cleaning the wheels and put some sealant on. Then I heard a metal groan followed by my sisters jack giving way closely followed by mine. Whole front end of the car hit the ground! :mad::(

Naturally I panicked big time. After lots of shítfcukshítfcukshítfcuk, I managed to jack the car up with a combination of a trolley jack I found in my stepdads garage and some bricks (I felt like Scouse doing this :lol:). I had to jack one side up at the back enough to slide some bricksin half way along the car, then do the same on the other side. I then alternated between each side slowly moving the bricks further towards the front, until I could jack the front of the car up again using the trolley jack on the centre jacking point.

I then went about assessing the damage done to my car, which fortunately was not a lot. My sisters jack had butchered my NS side skirt, but I've managed to bend it back into shape. It will need repairing, but this will have to wait. The only other damage I could see is that the brake heat shields which sit behind the brake disks are bent at the bottom where they hit the ground. I've bent them back into shape, but this is not really a concern as they still server their purpose. Luckily, it looks like the whole front of the car was resting on the central jack point as it's the lowest point on the front of the car, so damage was kept to a minimum.

Honda wanted over 300 notes for one side skirt, so I think I'll get it repaired instead. Some filler and a respray should do the trick once funds suffice. They also want just under a tonne for a new jack! I decided to pop ove to halfords (just over the road) and picked up a scissor jack (same as I had before) for £20 :cool:. I also decided to get some axel stands while I was there to stop this happening again :p.

I await the almost certain bombardment of fail pictures.

278306087_8f278c452f.jpg

Rough mate.

I always dread this happening, I bought axle stands before I bought a trolley jack.

At least you weren't under it though :lol: :lol: !!!!

Believe it or not, but the cheapest place to source side skirts is from Australia!

www.carmate.com.au

They are almost certainly replica fibreglass ones, however for £130 for a pair, it's not that bad at all. Just need to find out if they ship to the UK.

They've actually got some nice subtle body kits on that site. :cool:

Watched a mate do the same with his RS Turbo years ago, he had the whole front up with just a scissor jack on each side... :shock: The jacks supplied with cars are for emergencies only and I'd never trust one for more than changing a flat. Trolley jack and axle stands FTW.

Watched a mate do the same with his RS Turbo years ago, he had the whole front up with just a scissor jack on each side... :shock: The jacks supplied with cars are for emergencies only and I'd never trust one for more than changing a flat. Trolley jack and axle stands FTW.

I have learnt the hard way. :oops:

My newly acquired axle stands will take 2000kg, so they should do the trick in future.

I have learnt the hard way. :oops:

My newly acquired axle stands will take 2000kg, so they should do the trick in future.

I think i have learnt from your lesson as well mate, when i cleaned my wheels i used a trolley jack and a paint tin (full) as a safety support :lol: :lol:

I do have axle stands in the garage as well :rolleyes:

Tone.

Happier to know that you are still typing away and not squished under the car.

I use axle stands all the time - I do not trust the scissor jack that Honda supply.

Lucky escape Tony, you could have been under it!

Axle stands & trolley jack FTW!

Happier to know that you are still typing away and not squished under the car.

I would have almost certainly been a dead man/amputee had that barsteward fallen on me. When it first fell, I think I even tried to see if I could lift it, as I was panicking that much :lol:.

Back