• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 Consider getting the fk2

Hi people. Been having a big dilemma about my next hot hatch. Right now I am looking at the golf r and honda type r. My biggest concern about these cars is the appeal to car thief's with itsthe key entry system. Second is reliability read a few things about both that have got me worried as I will be get mine used. Last is the paint work and maintenance of the car on average how much will it cost for this car to be running at its best?

Thank you in advance for your answers

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Iv had my fk2 for a year now and can say i still love it. For reliability all i can say its a Honda. Yes the Paint on Honda isn't the best and will suffer from stone chips. as for security unlike ford i haven't herd of a big problem with them been stolen but i stand to be corrected on that. iv only did 6k in the first year so not the best to ask on running costs as some people burn through tiers in under 4k but mine are still going strong.

Iv had my fk2 for a year now and can say i still love it. For reliability all i can say its a Honda. Yes the Paint on Honda isn't the best and will suffer from stone chips. as for security unlike ford i haven't herd of a big problem with them been stolen but i stand to be corrected on that. iv only did 6k in the first year so not the best to ask on running costs as some people burn through tiers in under 4k but mine are still going strong.
Thanks for the reply
Previously owned the mk9 honda civic. So I know they have the history reliability. Just worried about being a hot hatch it will be under more stress compared to your normal hatchback. Also I have seen in a few different places about the gearbox and selecting gears. I doubt I will ever push the car to its full potential to the point i will replacing parts every 3 months.I just know gearboxes can be costly. Also when I went to Honda they wasn't the most helpful. Asking question that were legitimate and couldnt give a straight answer or didnt even know the answer. Instead they tried to pressure sell me the car which I wasn't happy about. Didn't even get a proper test drive lol. Also thinking shall I wait for the new type r to come out and hoping the price will drop for the fk2?

Thanks for the reply
Previously owned the mk9 honda civic. So I know they have the history reliability. Just worried about being a hot hatch it will be under more stress compared to your normal hatchback. Also I have seen in a few different places about the gearbox and selecting gears. I doubt I will ever push the car to its full potential to the point i will replacing parts every 3 months.I just know gearboxes can be costly. Also when I went to Honda they wasn't the most helpful. Asking question that were legitimate and couldnt give a straight answer or didnt even know the answer. Instead they tried to pressure sell me the car which I wasn't happy about. Didn't even get a proper test drive lol. Also thinking shall I wait for the new type r to come out and hoping the price will drop for the fk2?

Must be the dealers you went to as the one i went to was as good as normal. Iv seen a few people with gear box problems to but think its a low number the others with better knowledge than me will be able to tell you about that. All ill say is i love my fk2 there's a lot more knowledge on here than i have but i wouldn't hesitate on recommending the fk2.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I have had mine for a year know and covered around 8,000 miles and the best way to describe it is Fantastic.It does everything fast,handling is unbelievable and if you are sensible you can get 40mpg on a run.Interior is very nice with everything you will need.I have owned Ep3,fn2 but the car is far superior a great credit to Honda.My advise is buy it dont wait for new one as this one is limited with not that many made.The new one is more money and only has 10bhp more.Get Polished Metallic this color is out of this world.

The prices seemed to have settled for now,
The only cost you will get is tyres if you stick with the conti 6s, you're looking at 3-6k on a set, but switch to a decent set & you won't have to worry about that anymore,
Gearbox issues is minimal at the moment, it's just notchiness that's being reported at high temps, dealers have simply changed the clutch or even clutch & flywheel & the problem was solved,
Fuel depends on your driving & the use of the car, I was getting through 1 tank a week in my Fn2, I'm now getting through 1 tank in 2wks in the Fk2, same commute same driving style,
I'm near 2yrs in with mine and it's still turning heads like it did from new, you won't get that in the Golf,

I use to be a VW fan & a Honda hater, wanted the R32 even checked one out but my mate went & traded in his M3 for an Fn2 took me out & I was hooked got myself a Cw Fn2 within 3wks & never looked back. The golfs are comfy but bloody boring to drive & own, a hot hatch is meant to stand out not blend in & they're everywhere.

If you're coming from Honda why move, look for a 15 plate Fk2, these are the ones that so far have near 0 issues, 0 oil consumption & not forgetting the engines were built in the UK, from 65 onwards they were built in USA & that seems to be when issues were popping up

I just completed one year with mine FK2, 8k kms and I don´t look back. I would love to have the driver seat lowered for better driving feeling.

I have mixed feelings about buying the FK8 because it looks more saloon, than hot hatchback like FK2. Besides, there is no garantee that I´ll get one FK8 before 2018/2019.

In this vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzHw_OVm4qg the FK2 gets 270kph while the FK8 gets 265kph in the final stretch. I suspect that the reason for that is the FK8 is wider and have more downforce.

I've had mine two months and in that time I've covered around 2300 miles, though this includes a mini Euro trip to spa and Nurburgring , in this time I have identified no issues with reliability , it is a weapon and can also be a casual cruiser with many mod cons that make it a nice "motorway muncher" cruise control etc , there are many gadgets that you can play around with , many say the exhaust note is flat as stock but that might suit some people. They can come alive quite quickly with a cat back / panel filter change.

Tyres are a moot point , I think the general consensus is that once the cs6 have had their time it's better to move on to something else for durability .. I am going for some michelin PS4S very shortly , I have done a fair few bits to mine in the short time I have had it.

Type R #11 / polished metal metallic FK2 GT

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...k/forums/showthread.php?t=101481&share_type=t

I just completed one year with mine FK2, 8k kms and I don´t look back. I would love to have the driver seat lowered for better driving feeling.

I have mixed feelings about buying the FK8 because it looks more saloon, than hot hatchback like FK2. Besides, there is no garantee that I´ll get one FK8 before 2018/2019.

In this vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzHw_OVm4qg the FK2 gets 270kph while the FK8 gets 265kph in the final stretch. I suspect that the reason for that is the FK8 is wider and have more downforce.

The fk8 has different gearing too. The fk8 did this lap time with Michelin cup 2 tyres on whereas the fk2 was running the stock supplied continental sport 6's - which has caused hysteria all over the internet. Normally by gobshites who have some turd old vxr or the likes.

The prices seemed to have settled for now,
The only cost you will get is tyres if you stick with the conti 6s, you're looking at 3-6k on a set, but switch to a decent set & you won't have to worry about that anymore,
Gearbox issues is minimal at the moment, it's just notchiness that's being reported at high temps, dealers have simply changed the clutch or even clutch & flywheel & the problem was solved,
Fuel depends on your driving & the use of the car, I was getting through 1 tank a week in my Fn2, I'm now getting through 1 tank in 2wks in the Fk2, same commute same driving style,
I'm near 2yrs in with mine and it's still turning heads like it did from new, you won't get that in the Golf,

I use to be a VW fan & a Honda hater, wanted the R32 even checked one out but my mate went & traded in his M3 for an Fn2 took me out & I was hooked got myself a Cw Fn2 within 3wks & never looked back. The golfs are comfy but bloody boring to drive & own, a hot hatch is meant to stand out not blend in & they're everywhere.

If you're coming from Honda why move, look for a 15 plate Fk2, these are the ones that so far have near 0 issues, 0 oil consumption & not forgetting the engines were built in the UK, from 65 onwards they were built in USA & that seems to be when issues were popping up
So only the 15 plates are worth a look at on the used market your suggesting? So finding my dream black type r has just got a bit harder lol

I know what you mean. I'm just hoping the prices drops. When the car does come out. The prices seem to be floating around the 25-27k mark. I'm looking at around 23-25k with my budget.

I'm not saying dismiss every fk2 apart from 15 plates,
Buying 15 plates will have its bonuses,
Cheaper to purchase
More chance of added extras without the extra cost
And as I posted going by forums posts there's been little issues with them, probably 2-3 that I've read, only one springs to mind & that was something to do with a cracked thermostat or housing & that was very early on.
It's usually the other way around, 1st batches have recalls & issues but it seems Honda wanted these to work from the get go, as said soon as the engines went America we were reading more & more issues (nothing major though)

Are you looking at private or dealer, there's a black one popped up on eBay, nicely modded & low mileage (he's on one of the forums)

I know what you mean. I'm just hoping the prices drops. When the car does come out. The prices seem to be floating around the 25-27k mark. I'm looking at around 23-25k with my budget.

Ask your local dealer(s) to search for a higher mileage example.
I bought a second hand Blue Type-R GT in February with 16,000 miles. It was 24k with 555, paint protection applied and i insisted on new rubber all round. Your in budget if you can find an example with around a years mileage on the clock.

I know for a fact that at the time of buying mine Jardine motor group were sitting on a stock of 5 used black FK2's. They really REALLY tried to sell me one, but i wanted Blue.
Get your dealer to work for it. Don't budge on your budget. Somebody somewhere will sell you one.

Ask your local dealer(s) to search for a higher mileage example.
I bought a second hand Blue Type-R GT in February with 16,000 miles. It was 24k with 555, paint protection applied and i insisted on new rubber all round. Your in budget if you can find an example with around a years mileage on the clock.

I know for a fact that at the time of buying mine Jardine motor group were sitting on a stock of 5 used black FK2's. They really REALLY tried to sell me one, but i wanted Blue.
Get your dealer to work for it. Don't budge on your budget. Somebody somewhere will sell you one.
Thanks will do that.
Was that an official honda dealer?

I paid £24k in march this year for a one year old GT in polished metal , one owner 6250 miles.

Thanks will do that.
Was that an official honda dealer?

Yes, official Honda dealer.

My car was advertised at 27k (well overprice for mileage imo). I say no, 24k is my max budget. Ok, 26k says dealer. No, my budget is 24k. Final offer, we can put new tyres on it as a sweetener for 25.5k. Thanks but no, my budget is still 24k. 25k then final final offer, the manager says he can do 'Special deal' at 25k for you. I thank you for the effort but i told you at the start, 24k is my max budget....... Ok, we can do it at 24k. SOLD.

I paid £24k in march this year for a one year old GT in polished metal , one owner 6250 miles.

I payed too much for mine, 8 months old example but with 16k miles it was well used. Best deal i could get.... and i really really had to fight for that deal too (see above) it was two weeks of back-and-forth communications. Totally worth it in the end though.

I sold mine 15 plate private for £25k on 13k miles, with the service pack, wind deflectors, dash cam and Cobra cat back, back in Sept.

Prices do vary wildly with some very overpriced cars out there, but on the whole are pretty stable now!

Back