• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Coolant issues/Problems?

Hi guys!

Can anyone help me with a coolant issue. I had to have my radiator replaced in January because the old one had a crack in it.

The new one is a Nissens one not an OEM one (it was £65) I replaced the rad cap with a Mugen one.

However, Ive noticed the coolant level in the reservoir (or is it an expansion tank??) is always at minimum. I've topped it up with coolant concentrate to the maximum now its the winter twice in the past two weeks and almost immediately the level drops back down to minimum.

Im worried I've got a leak. Right down the bottom of the radiator the I've notice some liquid and some rust/corrosion. It is damp out now and the car is 15 years old so i don't know whether this just to be expected but I am concerned there is an issue.

I should point out the car runs and drives absolutely fine. So I don't know if there is a problem here at a all!!! Is there an easy way to find out in their is a small leak?

Thanks

If it's dropping that quickly it would suggest that either the radiator isn't full or there is a leak. Top up the radiator and expansion tank then check. If it is still dropping and you're having trouble locating it then you can pick up a uv dye kit that comes with a uv torch that will make it easier to find

Thanks for the reply.

When I top up the radiator itself how do I know how much to fill it up with? Obviously the expansion tank has markers but I don’t think I can see any when I remove the rad cap.

Thanks for the reply.

When I top up the radiator itself how do I know how much to fill it up with? Obviously the expansion tank has markers but I don’t think I can see any when I remove the rad cap.

leave your car overnight and open the radiator cap and see where the coolant is marked, it should all the way to the brim
if not needs topping up

If it's like the fn2 then the expansion tank should read min on cold and between min and max when warmed up.
I made the mistake of topping up to max on cold and when warm it was high, ended up buying a syringe and draining it.
As mentioned above the easiest way is check the rad level

I topped the radiator right up. it was quite empty it turns out.

After a 40 minute drive the bottom of car beneath where the main hose comes out of the radiator coupling there was a puddle of liquid, with what looks like spurt marks on other surrounding components. Think I've found my leak!

Its going in for a pressure test on monday.

Bumper and rad can be off and out in about half an hour, not a big job if you need the extra space.

Back