• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

crunching gear

Danger200

Good morning people

After my car before my CTR, I'm paranoid about about my clutch and gearbox (last car went through 4 gearboxes and 2 clutches in 2 years) now it feels like my gears are clunky and theres a bit of resistance going into first and second at low speed, and when theres vtec driving it feels worse in all gears like really notchy if thats makes sense.

Please help I'm really worried, I love my CTR and don't want it breaking down lol.

Oh and P.S. it werent my driving in the last car because all my other cars are fine :p lol

yep, sign the clutch is on it's way out. Not experienced it on another car before but with the ctr the gearchanges will become difficult at low rpms or nothcy/crunching at high rpms...not sure what it is as when I had mine changed the clutch plate looked like it had at least another 5k in it. Pressure plate maybe..? who knows but a new clutch will sort your problems for you.

honda dealers will charge you 220 for the clutch kit and 4.5hrs labour which could mount up to 700quid give or take 100quid.
You can get an exedy clutch for 150 and get a local garage to do the job for you, labour rate will probably be half of what honda are. It's not a difficult job so any garage will be able to tackle it no problem.

I paid £135 for an Exedy Stage 1 clutch. Your symptoms are identical to mine. Mine got so bad i'd fire the car up in the morning and spend the next 10-20 seconds trying to get into first gear. I just need a facelift flywheel then i have all the bits needed to get it all changed including my quaife diff

ah right. There are a few owners on ctro who have gone through the whole list of common problems, must just be unlucky I guess.

i take it fleabay will have the lightweight fly wheel, is it easy to tell between the two?
damn, i was hoping it werent the clutch, id rather the clutch than the gearbox though.
can anyone recommend a place to get the clutch from? unit 8 seem to be the best from what i've found. would i need the kit thinking about it?
i know a garage that may be able to sort me out a decent deal, especially if im supplying the parts. ive fitted 4 gearboxes before but that was on my fiesta, so i will leave this one to the pros lol

I cant recomend unit 8 enough, top boys there. Wether they are the cheapest or not I don;t know...I get some of my parts from here..

http://www.japanesecarimports.net/

..they do clutches which I presume are oem spec or better. I would definitely change the pressure plate and release bearing at the same time, release bearings are prone to becoming noisy. Whilst it is apart it would be daft not to replace these.

The facelift flywheel has a bunch of holes in it and weighs 4.7kg.

Last edited by a moderator:
My clutch is on the way out. Smyptoms are that it's become a lot heavier, the biting point is higher up and the clutch becomes stiff to release after more than 20 odd mins driving. I've got a facelift flywheel ready to go on with it, not going to bother with a diff, too much dosh given that I'm not planning on holding onto the car for much more than 12 months.

I cant recomend unit 8 enough, top boys there. Wether they are the cheapest or not I don;t know...I get some of my parts from here..

http://www.japanesecarimports.net/

..they do clutches which I presume are oem spec or better. I would definitely change the pressure plate and release bearing at the same time, release bearings are prone to becoming noisy. Whilst it is apart it would be daft not to replace these.

The facelift flywheel has a bunch of holes in it and weighs 4.7kg.

cheers for the advice, i will definately check out that website although just up the road from where i work is a company called ADL that imports japanese/korean/american car parts, but nothing uprated just standard, so i may be able to get a discount on parts. they may be able to sort me out with the facelift flywheel :D

My clutch is on the way out. Smyptoms are that it's become a lot heavier, the biting point is higher up and the clutch becomes stiff to release after more than 20 odd mins driving. I've got a facelift flywheel ready to go on with it, not going to bother with a diff, too much dosh given that I'm not planning on holding onto the car for much more than 12 months.

well, i will say my symptoms arent that bad, mine just doesnt like going into gears 1 and 2 and crunches the rest when im going Vtec'ing :twisted:
see if your going to sell then fixing it to a factory standard will be sufficient but because i plan on it being a long term vehicle i'm going to uprate stuff whilst it's out.
but i agree the diff's are for deep pockets

Back