• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Crunching in 2nd and 3rd in vtec :(

Hi lads, car has started crucnhing in the vtec from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. Think it may be the synchro's seems to be common issue with this gear box any thing else I can try? It doesn't do it all the time just now and again which is odd but I'm no mechanic..

My ep3 can do it but on fast changes, I'm pretty sure it because the clutch is on the way out and dragging slightly causing it to crunch. What does the clutch pedal feel like? Biting point close to the floor?

My ep3 can do it but on fast changes, I'm pretty sure it because the clutch is on the way out and dragging slightly causing it to crunch. What does the clutch pedal feel like? Biting point close to the floor?

Yeh, I did have it raised but it still quiet low we only did one full turn on the adjuster. I may get it bought out a bit more.

There's a how to on Civinfo on how to raise the clutch biting point, I have the same problem when going into second in vtec. This has helped a good few people so might be worth a try, I'm going to do it when I have time.

There's a how to on Civinfo on how to raise the clutch biting point, I have the same problem when going into second in vtec. This has helped a good few people so might be worth a try, I'm going to do it when I have time.

yeh I've done it once and it's improved but still catching 3rd was really
bad before. I'm going to get it adjusted again we only turned the adjuster once but it's still quiet low, I will let you all know how it turns out.

My 2005 ep3 started to grind on quicker gear changes at high revs, new clutch fitted and the problem has gone. The clutch did not slip at all, could still launch if I wanted to but then had to do a slower gear change. It was on 95k when I had it done.

A mate has an FN2 and has just had his clutch replaced at about 70k, it wasn't slipping but was starting to show similar symptoms. He had already tried adjusting it which only made it better for a short while.

I have same kind of problem in my EP3... When driving slow, 1st -> 2nd gear is crunching always and some times 5th -> 6th. When trying to change gear 3rd -> 2nd at low RPMs, it also crunching. Occasionally 3rd gear is causing problems in slow speeds, gear stick will "pop out" 3rd to neutral when i even touch the gear stick.

Clutch engagement point is high.

low rpm = crunching and problems
high rpm = smooth shifting

Clutch? Gearbox?

used to haver that problem 1st to 2nd, changed clutch and thrust bearing and now its slips in no problem at any revs. Havent adjusted pedal at all

I had a similar issue in my dc5 I used to own, normal driving it wasnt to bad (other than 3rd to 2nd) but at full rpm I cudnt shift gear it's like it was blocked off. I took it to a friend of mine and he suggested a new clutch and gearbox oil before we feared the worst (gearbox). Replaced the clutch for an exedy stage 1 with new honda mtf gearbox oil and issue solved, sweet as a nut as they say

Back