• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

CTR alloys - refurbished and sealed...

I had my neglected alloys sent to be refurbished on Saturday at a cost of £300 at A1 Alloys in Bilston and decided to keep the OEM alloys but opted for a darker finish than standard silver. I eventually settled on the titanium finish (or smoked chrome as it is more commonly referred to). On Tuesday I went to pick up the new alloys and was delighted with the finish. All kerb damage, peeling lacquer and bubbling was fully repaired and the titanium finish was absolutely perfect. So it was a case of waiting until today to clean and seal them... and the wait was finally over this morning.

Let's start with the arches. A combination of Meguiars Super Degreaser and Meguiars APC was used on the arches and calipers and a strong-bristled brush and boars hair brush was used to remove all the winter crud. The calipers are to be repainted in the summer so it was just a quick wash and scrub on them.

CTR001.jpg

CTR002.jpg

CTR003.jpg

CTR004.jpg

CTR005.jpg

CTR006.jpg

CTR007.jpg

CTR008.jpg

CTR009.jpg

CTR010.jpg

CTR011.jpg

CTR012.jpg

CTR013.jpg

CTR014.jpg

Next up was the cleaning of the wheels which had accrued a load of winter grime over the past 4 days or so. Bilberry Wheel Cleaner diluted 10:1 was used on the tyres and alloys (the tyres were agitated with a wheel brush) - the alloys were simply rinsed. And then a cocktail of Meguiars Shampoo Plus and Meguiars All Purpose Cleaner was used to wash the alloys with a lambswool wash mitt.

CTR015.jpg

CTR016.jpg

CTR017.jpg

CTR018.jpg

CTR019.jpg

CTR020.jpg

CTR021.jpg

CTR022.jpg

CTR023.jpg

CTR024.jpg

The alloys were then fully dried with a waffle-weave towel ready for sealing.

CTR025.jpg

CTR026.jpg

CTR027.jpg

And the products used for sealing. Two coats of JetSeal109 followed by a couple of coats of Collinite 476S was the order of the day. I decided to use half a Meguiars Applicator Pad (cut in half) as it gets into the nooks and cranies much better than a full pad. What I will say is do not be scared to use a larger than normal helping of Collinite 476S - it is far easier to remove a thick layer on an alloy than a car body panel. Inner rim and front face including spokes were done.

CTR028.jpg

CTR029.jpg

CTR030.jpg

CTR031.jpg

CTR032.jpg

CTR033.jpg

CTR034.jpg

CTR035.jpg

CTR036.jpg

CTR037.jpg

CTR038.jpg

And for someone who PM'd me about my tyres a few weeks ago. These are the Yokohama Parada Spec 2s which have replaced the Pirelli PZero Asymetrics. And you can see from the tread pattern why I love these so much. The grip over the past few winter days has been phenomenol.

CTR039.jpg

CTR040.jpg

Alloys all sealed and put in a darkened space in the garage to reflect how well they came up.

CTR041.jpg

CTR042.jpg

CTR043.jpg

CTR044.jpg

CTR045.jpg

CTR046.jpg

And tyre walls given two coatings of Meguiars Endurance Gel.

CTR047.jpg

CTR048.jpg

The car was also given a wash and the wheels were put back on. The car's bodywork is still great with a couple of coats of Collinite 476S which were applied in early October.

CTR049.jpg

CTR050.jpg

CTR051.jpg

CTR052.jpg

CTR053.jpg

CTR054.jpg

CTR055.jpg

CTR056.jpg

CTR057.jpg

CTR058.jpg

CTR059.jpg

CTR060.jpg

CTR061.jpg

CTR062.jpg

CTR063.jpg

CTR064.jpg

CTR065.jpg

CTR066.jpg

CTR067.jpg

Very good job there fella.

Surprised you left the coloured tyre markings on the Prada's though :p .

Welcome over buddy, as said on DW, I'd have done the centre caps too, but each to their own.

It looks good :)

really like them mate they look :cool: refurb is next on my to do list will get it done next month I think

Took the CTR for a spin yesterday to Asda with the wife and when I came back they had collected some dust.:evil:

But as has already been said, when it comes to cleaning them, it will be an absolute doddle as you only need to wash with normal car shampoo and a wash mitt and they'll look 100% again. No scrubbing or drastic cleaning needed. That's the benefit of waxing your alloys every 3 months or so.:twisted:

Evening cobraman.

Pleased to see you over here after ^Joe's link.:)

....ditto with the centrecaps.;)

James_R

Back